The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] CBJ shopping Kerby Rychel in search for defense

@FriedgeHNIC:

One other thing: CLB looking for D and hearing Kerby Rychel's name out there. Jackets are loaded with good, young forwards. He has value.

I hope JB/TL received the memo and have taken a flyer. This is a chance you can't pass up on and can make the best of our defense situation.

Got Bieksa/Hamhuis, offer one of them up and see where talks go. Hopefully they waive if asked (I know Juice has said he wants to say and etc but once they're asked, usually they will comply. ex: Garrison). Rychel a young promising LW PF. Plays a resilient game - not reckless - and knows how to get on the scoreboard. Perfect scenario if it works out with our logjam of young defenders who won't be waiver eligible next year.

...Let the speculation begin!

I would love to have Rychel, but we're in the same spot as Columbus, where we need defense more than forwards, so it doesn't make a lot of sense for us. I'm sure someone else would take them up on Rychel though.

This was just fan talk on Twitter but how realistic would Corrado+ for Rychel be? I agree Benning and Linden need to be all over this if Rychel really is available. Multiple different possibilities if we got him.

Baertschi - Horvat - Virtanen

Shinkaruk - McCann - Kassian

Rychel - Cassels - Bonino

Jensen - Gaunce - Grenier

I would love to have Rychel, but we're in the same spot as Columbus, where we need defense more than forwards, so it doesn't make a lot of sense for us. I'm sure someone else would take them up on Rychel though.

it would make sense to trade for youth ... let some roster spots open up for our youth defense ...

Kind of.

...We need fresh faces on the blueline, meaning addition by subtraction and getting rid of some older core guys. Bieksa/Hamhuis fit the bill. If we could move one of them, get a nice return, and replace them with younger dmen, we win.

This was just fan talk on Twitter but how realistic would Corrado+ for Rychel be? I agree Benning and Linden need to be all over this if Rychel really is available. Multiple different possibilities if we got him.

Baertschi - Horvat - Virtanen

Shinkaruk - McCann - Kassian

Rychel - Cassels - Bonino

Jensen - Gaunce - Grenier

Tough to say, they'd probably want a more proven defender though.. Hamhuis would fit well but they'd likely want Tanev more.

Think I'd rather try to snag their 8th overall pick and try to draft Provorov / Barzal / Werenski

All depends on the price I guess.

The canucks are kind of screwed. Clendening and Corrado basically have to be on the roster because they can go on waivers next year, so they kind of do need to trade a blueliner or two on the team.

Canucks have to make room for Green...

I think the Canucks need to get all over this and make something work. Rychel would fit in very well in the organization and the Canucks can afford to get rid off one of Corrado and Clendening. I think between those two Benning would likely be more willing to give up Corrado because he was a Gillis draft choice.

"Corrado +" but what would the "+" be?

Answer: Nick Jensen

Needs a scenery change, probably an attractive player to bring in with Oliver Bjorkstrand coming through the ranks. Columbus better their D and replace Rychel with Jensen who could turn it around and develop in a new environment. Jensen would replace Rychel in Springfield in the short-term and has potential under the right circumstances to do so in the long-term as well. Corrado comes into an organization with very weak depth at right handed defenders at both NHL and AHL level.

To Vancouver:

Kerby Rychel

To Columbus:

Frank Corrado

Nicklas Jensen

Archived