The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[OFFICIAL] Mike Babcock chooses the Toronto Maple Leafs

yes he won the cup in 2008 lost it in 2009 won 2 gold medals in 2010 and 2014 but since those 2 finals appearances with 1 cup win his team has lost 3 times in the 2nd round and 3 times in the 1st round

so why was he so highly sought after i am sure he is still a good coach but seems like his best years are behind him

yes he won the cup in 2008 lost it in 2009 won 2 gold medals in 2010 and 2014 but since those 2 finals appearances with 1 cup win his team has lost 3 times in the 2nd round and 3 times in the 1st round

so why was he so highly sought after i am sure he is still a good coach but seems like his best years are behind him

I hope that's a joke.

It'll be another 3 seasons before the Leafs make the playoffs....unless they are able to unload at least Kessel and Phaneuf. That should be their #1 priority, at all costs. Build up from the bottom if they must but first cut out the cancers.

I would take Dion or Phil if the money staying in TO was right.

it's not a joke

in a league where players coaches gm's are all under the same what have they done for me lately Babcock hasn't done much the last 6 years in the NHL you can bring up the 2 gold medals all you want

He's kept that team in the playoffs. During a time where they were transitioning into a younger team, and when they had a bunch of injuries. Babcock is the real deal.

Everybody (Ferraro for one) says that Babcock doesn't want to be a manager. If this is true then.....

If / when Shanahan can find a GM, he's not going to be the boss of Babcock is he. This is a desperate move by the Leafs. They offered way too much money ($50M over 8 years, 6.25 avg but is reportedly front loaded) to land the golden goose and Babs got greedy.

What's in it for Babcock? $$$, term, a say in personnel (rumour)

• Toronto is a team that needs to move a lot of players and start to rebuild. There isn't a lot they should keep beyond O'Reilly or Bernier. How long will this take? 5 years?
  • this is not a team that's going to win anything soon
  • What's the management in Leaf land like? Chaotic. They don't even get that they need to hire a GM and the GM hires the Coach. The chain of command is messed up. UNLESS BABCOCK IS COACH AND GM.

• What's the management in Leaf land like? Chaotic. They don't even get that they need to hire a GM and the GM hires the Coach. The chain of command is messed up. UNLESS BABCOCK IS COACH AND GM.

If a coach like Babcock comes along and wants to work for you, you hire him and deal with the GM spot later if you have to.

I know it's hard to say I admire a guy who just signed for all that money,but a part of me wants to believe that Babcock actually embraces this challenge he now has in front of him. He is the real deal and as much as I hate the leafs they are the biggest Canadian market and they need to stop stinking up the joint and start representing. I hope this is the first big step in the right direction.

Everybody (Ferraro for one) says that Babcock doesn't want to be a manager. If this is true then.....

If / when Shanahan can find a GM, he's not going to be the boss of Babcock is he. This is a desperate move by the Leafs. They offered way too much money ($50M over 8 years, 6.25 avg but is reportedly front loaded) to land the golden goose and Babs got greedy.

What's in it for Babcock? $$$, term, a say in personnel (rumour)

• Toronto is a team that needs to move a lot of players and start to rebuild. There isn't a lot they should keep beyond O'Reilly or Bernier. How long will this take? 5 years?
  • this is not a team that's going to win anything soon

This is the stupidest post I've read in quite a long time. Babcock is the best coach in the league. If a potential GM you plan to hire does not want Babcock as the coach then guess what he's not going to be the GM.

Peaches......point is, the Leafs will have yet another lame duck GM

No need to get offensive

I kind of see that myself...You've got Shanahan (plus his two assistant GM consultants) on one side ,and Mike Babcock on the other.....That's two very strong personalities.....I wouldn't see a new GM having a helluva lot of clout.

Archived