The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

when will we be better . . . or worse?

granpappy

taking a long term view, what will be the effect of hanging onto our vets til the end?

we will likely be competitive enough to remain out of the basement for several more years, say 2yrs. after this run is over we will begin to rely on our group of prospects to move into major roles. horvat looks a champion. objectively, it is not realistic to think that all our current prospects will step right in and contribute without a few years of 'seasoning.'

this could be where we struggle.

it is well documented that we have had the poorest group of prospects for some time; only in the last couple of years have we had any talent in our prospect pool. so, assuming the rest of the leagues' high end prospects begin to enter the league as our vets finally retire or become redundant, we will have a window where we may be at the bottom rung. the reality is we may reach our low point in 2017/18.

our current prospect pool may struggle with the weight of having to perform immediately we may even have several years of high end picks. we may not be competitive again until at the earliest, 2022.

this is keeping in line with the general canuck curse of genuinely challenging for the cup every 10 years or so.

anyway, i think we will see a vast amount of changes before we actually compete again.

Utica must be disappointed in our org's mediocre farm produce, huh?

well there's that. rose colored spectacles. a championship run by the farm team does not necessarily translate into a highly competitive nhl team. the majority of utica's roster will never play for the canucks

horvat, virtanen, shinkaruk, mccann, cassels,vey, kenins, gaunce, jensen, baerschi, clendening, corado,pedan, subban and hutton, will probably all play for this team in the future..but we can only move people out and move them in when they are ready....benning said that they will probably move out 5 players this year...

a goalie, probably matthias, richardson, a defence man and another forward...i would think either higgins or kassian. patience is needed..i've followed this team from their day one..if i can be patient, there is no reason why you young whippersnappers, can't....

I have a nagging feeling that with the gradual injection of our current prospects we'll never truly reach basement level (ALA Oilers, Hawks, Pens) but instead draft in the 10-20 range for a while.

Not sure how that's going to work out for us but hopefully Benning is smarter than he looks.

I have a nagging feeling that with the gradual injection of our current prospects we'll never truly reach basement level (ALA Oilers, Hawks, Pens) but instead draft in the 10-20 range for a while.

Not sure how that's going to work out for us but hopefully Benning is smarter than he looks.

You calling my homie ugly?

i don't know how smart he is, but i know he is smarter than all of us...we have opinions, while he and his management team have hockey building expertise....

well there's that. rose colored spectacles. a championship run by the farm team does not necessarily translate into a highly competitive nhl team. the majority of utica's roster will never play for the canucks

Especially their leading scorer

Sure... But whoever does, will have been developing in a winning environment.

jimbenning-640x427.jpgColumbo-Peter-Falk-2.gif

Did you just... are you...

You're wishing for failure so your team can draft high?

What's wrong with your type?

You realize there's the actual game that counts besides your favorite show of the year?

NHL regular season and playoff hockey is what counts.

Right?

No?

Ok well I tried.

[retracted]

For anyone that doesn't know, the lower picture in my last post is of detective Columbo (TV/movie character). His whole schtick was to come off simple and confused, and it often made the criminals drop their guard with him.

You obviously don't have a clue about the comparison I was making.

Might be an idea to only go on rants when you can comprehend the subject, m-kay?

You are absolutely right. I was responding to the guy you responded to. My bad. Changed.

horvat, virtanen, shinkaruk, mccann, cassels,vey, kenins, gaunce, jensen, baerschi, clendening, corado,pedan, subban and hutton, will probably all play for this team in the future..but we can only move people out and move them in when they are ready....benning said that they will probably move out 5 players this year...

a goalie, probably matthias, richardson, a defence man and another forward...i would think either higgins or kassian. patience is needed..i've followed this team from their day one..if i can be patient, there is no reason why you young whippersnappers, can't....

I don't think Kassian is going to be moved, he is a work in progress but the Canucks need a guy like Kassian to deliver some push back. He is still young enough to learn to do what the coaching staff want him to do. JMHO

Yes we have some young talent in the system finally but this division will be getting much tougher. The teams that didn't make the playoffs this year, will be getting stronger too with top end talent

If your not getting better each year in this division, you will not be making the playoffs (If only our Sedins were 20 again)

I don't think Kassian is going to be moved, he is a work in progress but the Canucks need a guy like Kassian to deliver some push back. He is still young enough to learn to do what the coaching staff want him to do. JMHO

Kassians cap hit isnt going to make much difference..they need to move some of these old core guys and make some cap room.

Archived