The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

when will we be better . . . or worse?

granpappy

horvat, virtanen, shinkaruk, mccann, cassels,vey, kenins, gaunce, jensen, baerschi, clendening, corado,pedan, subban and hutton, will probably all play for this team in the future..but we can only move people out and move them in when they are ready....benning said that they will probably move out 5 players this year...

a goalie, probably matthias, richardson, a defence man and another forward...i would think either higgins or kassian. patience is needed..i've followed this team from their day one..if i can be patient, there is no reason why you young whippersnappers, can't....

Probably all play for the Canucks! Highly unlikely. And if they do, that's terrible news. Just look at Virtanen. Sure he may very well end up plying for the canucks some day, but these AHL play offs show how far he still has to go. We are talking AHL here. Everyone who goes up from the AHL to the NHL says one thing: so much faster. Is Virtanen killing it with the slow pokes?

Did you just... are you...

You're wishing for failure so your team can draft high?

What's wrong with your type?

You realize there's the actual game that counts besides your favorite show of the year?

NHL regular season and playoff hockey is what counts.

Right?

No?

Ok well I tried.

u wot m8?

Probably all play for the Canucks! Highly unlikely. And if they do, that's terrible news. Just look at Virtanen. Sure he may very well end up plying for the canucks some day, but these AHL play offs show how far he still has to go. We are talking AHL here. Everyone who goes up from the AHL to the NHL says one thing: so much faster. Is Virtanen killing it with the slow pokes?

LOL

i don't know how smart he is, but i know he is smarter than all of us...we have opinions, while he and his management team have hockey building expertise....

Being an NHL GM does not necessarily make you smarter than every fan. Benning probably does know more about assessing talent than any fan. But some of the contracts he signed were mistakes. Many knowledgeable fans complained about the 6 million per year 3-year contract given to Miller and they were right. The Canucks are stuck with that contract now.

The other contracts Benning has signed make me think that his contract negotiation skills and contract assessment skills are not so great. One problem is impatience. He did not want to take much time to get Miller signed, the get Sbisa and Dorsett signed and to get Tanev signed. I am sure that the agents for all those guys were surprised at how quickly Benning caved in on their demands.

As a result the Canucks have a significant cap problem heading into next year.

Being an NHL GM does not necessarily make you smarter than every fan. Benning probably does know more about assessing talent than any fan. But some of the contracts he signed were mistakes. Many knowledgeable fans complained about the 6 million per year 3-year contract given to Miller and they were right. The Canucks are stuck with that contract now.

The other contracts Benning has signed make me think that his contract negotiation skills and contract assessment skills are not so great. One problem is impatience. He did not want to take much time to get Miller signed, the get Sbisa and Dorsett signed and to get Tanev signed. I am sure that the agents for all those guys were surprised at how quickly Benning caved in on their demands.

As a result the Canucks have a significant cap problem heading into next year.

They all go what they deserve looking at other players in the range and caliber of the players. Miller was an elite goalie sure a little old now and not as good but his price doesn't drop to 3 million over a year. It's inflation it happens everywhere we will start seeing it happen in the NHL more and more. Get use to it

He may not be scoring but based on his play I'd say he's "killing it".

As long as the Sedins are around, we will still remain competitive, fighting for spots 10 to 6. Its when they retire is when we have to worry. At least 2-3 of our prospects have to become NHL studs, otherwise we are just going to have a team full of 3rd line talent. Hopefully Virtanen, Horvat, McCann turn out to be something

This draft is one of the most stacked in recent history. I am more excited about this draft because I know Bennings been putting a lot of hours into this one. I expect at least one outstanding prospect out of this draft.

Thing is with Benning, I look forward to the Canucks draft, unlike previous years where I've written it off because they made some absolutely ridiculous picks, almost as if a monkey was working the draft. I guess it used to be good comedy, but after seeing how Benning worked the draft last year, I am so glad we have him as GM. Now only if he will become a better contract negotiator :P

This draft is one of the most stacked in recent history. I am more excited about this draft because I know Bennings been putting a lot of hours into this one. I expect at least one outstanding prospect out of this draft.

Thing is with Benning, I look forward to the Canucks draft, unlike previous years where I've written it off because they made some absolutely ridiculous picks, almost as if a monkey was working the draft. I guess it used to be good comedy, but after seeing how Benning worked the draft last year, I am so glad we have him as GM. Now only if he will become a better contract negotiator :P

trouble is, jb has been given a free ride by many. he has made his picks just as every other gm in the league has made his picks. anyone who is praising jb for being a success in last years draft before any of the picks have even laced them up on the big club is beyond me; back to the rose colored specs i guess. please point out to me another club that is not 'putting a lot of hours' into the draft

trouble is, jb has been given a free ride by many. he has made his picks just as every other gm in the league has made his picks. anyone who is praising jb for being a success in last years draft before any of the picks have even laced them up on the big club is beyond me; back to the rose colored specs i guess. please point out to me another club that is not 'putting a lot of hours' into the draft

I think my comparison is to the previous regimes of the Canucks. He made safe, concensus picks that you could agree with. Love the Virtanen pick, demko was good etc. Basically he did not make any foolish picks for players nobody has heard of like previous management.

I agree, only time will tell, but thus far he is making picks that I can have faith in based on their junior track records. Im sure everyone puts in hours, but some talent evaluators are better than others. (see Stan Bowman, yet another steal in terroveinan). We have NEVER had a decent talent evaluator, I think Benning is the best we have had, but yes lets wait and see in 2 years :)

By all accounts this is a very good draft year. But that hurts the Canucks more than it helps right now. With a low first round pick and no picks in the 2nd and 3rd rounds the Canucks will actually lose ground to most other teams.

We can hope that Benning makes a great pick at #23, but other GMs will be making good picks also.

I know that Benning would like to recapture draft picks and would like, in particular, to get a mid to high second round pick. But other teams know those picks are particularly valuable this year and will not be trading them away cheaply. (At the trade deadline, of course, draft picks were being given away for relatively little, but the Canucks passed up the opportunity to get a good draft pick for Matthias.)

By all accounts this is a very good draft year. But that hurts the Canucks more than it helps right now. With a low first round pick and no picks in the 2nd and 3rd rounds the Canucks will actually lose ground to most other teams.

We can hope that Benning makes a great pick at #23, but other GMs will be making good picks also.

I know that Benning would like to recapture draft picks and would like, in particular, to get a mid to high second round pick. But other teams know those picks are particularly valuable this year and will not be trading them away cheaply. (At the trade deadline, of course, draft picks were being given away for relatively little, but the Canucks passed up the opportunity to get a good draft pick for Matthias.)

I just hope he doesn't sell players below their value to recoup a couple of picks. You are right other teams will be in a position of stregnth with their picks. Almost every team in our division has multiple picks in this draft we have 1 in the first 3 rounds.

I just hope he doesn't sell players below their value to recoup a couple of picks. You are right other teams will be in a position of stregnth with their picks. Almost every team in our division has multiple picks in this draft we have 1 in the first 3 rounds.

that's right, so our pool of quality prospects falls even farther behind the rest of the league in spite of the well known fact that jb is a better judge of talent than any other scout or gm in the league. there may be less to look forward to than many believe. a soft coach, a gm shackled by a 'make the playoffs' mandate and ongoing late mid round picks. we may wallow for years

Just remember JB states next years draft is even better

2018/2019 is either the year we tank or run for the cup.

Sometimes we forget how good the Sedins are. 9th and 10th in league scoring - getting one, nevermind two players on your team top 10 in scoring is pretty hard.

in 2017-2018 if we miss the playoffs, the Sedins, Hansen, Sbisa are all becoming UFAs. Edler would have one year left so throw him into the mix. That is a lot of talent to be able to trade for picks and prospects. If we suck the previous year, Burrows, Bonino and Kassian are UFA. So we could do a complete tear down at rebuild.

That said, if the 2017-2018 team makes the playoffs and the Sedins are still at least 40 point players, they could sign a one year cheap deal and give us the space to make a serious run for the cup before they retire.

Unfortunately the Tortorella year we have very little to give up at the deadline.

Archived