The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brock Boeser | #6 | RW

thejazz97

There are 8 games left before NCHC Quarterfinals & the Frozen Faceoff, also the Reginals & Frozen Four. Not out of the question for him to pot another 6-7 goals to tie/break the record. I'm not an expert on the NCAA. So I couldn't tell you if stats from those tournaments count towards his yearly totals. From other prospects 2014-15 stats, it looks like it may be a pooled stat line. Which would give Brock plenty of games to get 7 goals.

2 hours ago, Boudrias said:

From a money perspective any agent would be negligent if he did not counsel a NHL contract. The reality is your next shift could be your last. Career ending injury is always at risk.

Which is why he is better off where he is with more time to work on conditioning and lots of ice time. Less games , but more ice time per game. I really really hope he stays put for a least one more year 

I'm sure this article from December was posted already , but I love this quote. And obviously since then he has impressed allot further 

"And, with 21 points, he was 11th overall in Division 1 scoring, which led to NHL analyst Pierre McGuire calling Boeser a projected “big-time” NHL player"

This could be one of the best picks we have made in a very very long time. Canucks fans should be very exited. 

2 hours ago, Boudrias said:

From a money perspective any agent would be negligent if he did not counsel a NHL contract. The reality is your next shift could be your last. Career ending injury is always at risk.

Playing in the AHL on an ELC is not significant money anyway and your contract slides so he can't even use up the years on his ELC. He would be better off staying in college until he is ready to make the jump full time to the NHL.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Boudrias said:

That's a very extreme way of analyzing the situation and I highly doubt that freshmen like Boeser think about it in such a way (especially when they tend to opt for staying).

2 hours ago, Fred65 said:

Being a student athlete is not all candy and nuts. You have to keep your GPA at an acceptible level....which then includes study and exams. You have to travel weekend and then attend early morning lecture come Monday morning. They may pay your school fees but your every day life still cost a lot and you have no income other than your parents or money you saved during the summer job. But from what he showed at the WJC his speed sure looked like he needed to work on it. He should try that skating coach Horvat used during last summer ...it sure served him well :)

The GPA argument is very weak because there's absolutely no way a school is going to let GPA get rid of their athletes. Heck, with schools like Notre Dame, Mississippi State, Georgetown, etc. all been accused of grade fixing in the past, I wouldn't be surprised to see the workload on Brock being made a lot lighter. How do you think that NCAA athletes (some of whom are dumb as rocks) get by their academia without a smidge? Furthermore, has any one NCAA player (important to their team) ever been expelled for reasons regarding their grades?

1 minute ago, guntrix said:

That's a very extreme way of analyzing the situation and I highly doubt that freshmen like Boeser think about it in such a way (especially when they tend to opt for staying).

The GPA argument is very weak because there's absolutely no way a school is going to let GPA get rid of their athletes. Heck, with schools like Notre Dame, Mississippi State, Georgetown, etc. all been accused of grade fixing in the past, I wouldn't be surprised to see the workload on Brock being made a lot lighter. How do you think that NCAA athletes (some of whom are dumb as rocks) get by their academia without a smidge? Furthermore, has any one NCAA player (important to their team) ever been expelled for reasons regarding their grades?

Is this an issue with hockey? you see this with bigger football and basketball programs that can drive major profit for their schools, but is UND hockey profitable enough to drive the school to Doctor grades/transcripts? I know it's one of the biggest programs in the country but I'm not sure of the economic picture in college hockey as a whole.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Toews said:

Playing in the AHL on an ELC is not significant money anyway and your contract slides so he can't even use up the years on his ELC. He would be better off staying in college until he is ready to make the jump full time to the NHL.

There are obviously pro's/con's to staying in school vs. leaving early.  Imagine, just for the sake of argument, that Boeser stayed in school and suffered a career ending injury while there, never having signed an NHL deal or played a pro game in his life - while unfortunate he could still get a degree because the school is obligated to keep their scholarship offer to him but that's it - nothing on top of that.  If he left school and signed a pro deal, he'd instantly get the signing bonus which wouldn't be insignificant by any 'normal person's' salary as Gaunce/Shink got signing bonuses in the neighborhood of $275,000.00 while their AHL salary is about $70, 000.00 per season (not superstar money or even close, but better or equal to the average person's normal wage I suspect).   If Boeser or anyone else was injured after signing their ELC they would still get all the money on their ELC owed to them and have the option of going back to school whenever they wanted to.  You can bet that many agents out there are telling their clients that ANYTHING can happen, and they should get PAID when they can.  Often a difficult  message I imagine, because what 20-something doesn't think they're invincible or that nothing bad will ever happen to them? 

• Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, Wild Sean Monahan said:

Is this an issue with hockey? you see this with bigger football and basketball programs that can drive major profit for their schools, but is UND hockey profitable enough to drive the school to Doctor grades/transcripts? I know it's one of the biggest programs in the country but I'm not sure of the economic picture in college hockey as a whole.

I'm not saying that UND doctors grades but it wouldn't surprise me to see the work load being made lighter for Brock.

It would be a cold day in hell to see their all-star freshman being let go because he couldn't reach the cut in his economics class.

And I do think that hockey is economically big in UND. I mean, you don't invest over 3 million in facility renovations for a pee wee sport. Their stadium also looks top class.

1 minute ago, guntrix said:

I'm not saying that UND doctors grades but it wouldn't surprise me to see the work load being made lighter for Brock.

It would be a cold day in hell to see their all-star freshman being let go because he couldn't reach the cut in his economics class.

And I do think that hockey is economically big in UND. I mean, you don't invest over 3 million in facility renovations for a pee wee sport. Their stadium also looks top class.

I shouldn't have limited it to doctoring grades only, I was speaking of any sort of deceit on the school's part. Can't remember exactly when but a few years ago UNC's football program received some real sanctions not for doctoring grades but for having "tutors" doing the work for their athletes. I imagine UND hockey is fairly lucrative but I'm not sure it's enough for the school to risk it's academic reputation. In the case of Alabama football, I could definitely see it happening as the potential for profit is so vast. I'm not sure he same is true of UND.

16 minutes ago, Wild Sean Monahan said:

I shouldn't have limited it to doctoring grades only, I was speaking of any sort of deceit on the school's part. Can't remember exactly when but a few years ago UNC's football program received some real sanctions not for doctoring grades but for having "tutors" doing the work for their athletes. I imagine UND hockey is fairly lucrative but I'm not sure it's enough for the school to risk it's academic reputation. In the case of Alabama football, I could definitely see it happening as the potential for profit is so vast. I'm not sure he same is true of UND.

Well, UND is a big player in NCAA hockey so who knows just how lucrative the money is.

But I also see it in regards to relevance. Should Boeser make it big in the NHL (comparing his numbers with those of Toews and Oshie), UND is looking at another opportunity of adding another distinguished alumni and adding more prestige and relevance to their program. 

In short, who knows? Helping Boeser could be as discrete as telling a professor to be a bit more lenient with him or going over his work before he hands it in. I, personally, have never heard of academics being a deciding factor for an important NCAA player leaving.

I don't know about NCAA football but I can think of a couple of instances where NCAA hockey players have been disciplined by the NCAA some are higher profile than others  Think of McNally just for one instance. The NCAA when it comes to maybe lessor sports can come and do come down like a load of bricks, it's not like it used to be or some imagine

4 hours ago, Wild Sean Monahan said:

My ex-girlfriend goes to USC, and she's told me that the athletes there get priority registration and specific classes that're extremely easy to ace. I've heard this is the case with athletic programs across America, especially NCAA schools, so I wouldn't be surprised if Brock's taking three, maybe four, possibly five classes a semester and at least two of them being write-offs. I shouldn't say Brock, because that's probably the case for any athlete in those systems. Brock might be different. Based on what I've heard about his story, he might be driving himself in that regard as much as hockey.

39 minutes ago, NameFaker said:

My ex-girlfriend goes to USC, and she's told me that the athletes there get priority registration and specific classes that're extremely easy to ace. I've heard this is the case with athletic programs across America, especially NCAA schools, so I wouldn't be surprised if Brock's taking three, maybe four, possibly five classes a semester and at least two of them being write-offs. I shouldn't say Brock, because that's probably the case for any athlete in those systems. Brock might be different. Based on what I've heard about his story, he might be driving himself in that regard as much as hockey.

Priority registration and GPA boosters are common even here in Canada. I was speaking about more unethical things, like profs marking them on a lower standard and whatnot.

16 minutes ago, Wild Sean Monahan said:

Priority registration and GPA boosters are common even here in Canada. I was speaking about more unethical things, like profs marking them on a lower standard and whatnot.

The US GPA boosters are a joke. You hand in one paper and it is a guarenteed A.

University of Washington supposedly one of the best universities in the US, just had 50 players on their football team average higher than a 3 GPA. I can tell you some of those players aren't even close to being that smart...... and from personal experince athletes on scholarships couldn't give two craps about school they are there to play that sport.

There are a few expections of players who actually care about getting there degree but generally I would say over 50% of NCAA student athletes would be failing if they were in a Canadian school.

Edited by Gstank29
Added

2 minutes ago, Gstank29 said:

The US GPA boosters are a joke. You hand in one paper and it is a guarenteed A.

University of Washington supposedly one of the best universities in the US, just had 50 players on their football team average higher than a 3 GPA. I can tell you some of those players aren't even close to being that smart...... and from personal experince athletes on scholarships couldn't give two craps about school they are there to play that sport.

There are a few expections but I would say over 50% of NCAA student athletes would be failing if they were in a Canadian school.

Considering that 50% can't read, I'd say you're pretty accurate with that - FOR FOOTBALL AND BASKETBALL.  the lesser sports, which includes hockey, the students are expected to hold their own in the classroom.

8 hours ago, Wild Sean Monahan said:

Makes me wonder if profs are aware of the student athletes or are given directives by coaches/administration. A movie'll probably come out about this next year. Let's license the idea and make millions, yeah?

by the way, I always imagine a specific voice from your image. No idea what Monahan sounds like, but every post I read is precede by a: Yeerrnngh!! A la Pokemon Red

8 hours ago, Alflives said:

Considering that 50% can't read, I'd say you're pretty accurate with that - FOR FOOTBALL AND BASKETBALL.  the lesser sports, which includes hockey, the students are expected to hold their own in the classroom.

Again, an NCAA hockey player has never had to drop out of a hockey program for academic reasons... it's unheard of at least to me. 

To say that it doesn't go on in hockey is a stretch imo because while it may not be lucrative to some of the southern universities, it's lucrative enough to some of the northern ones like UND. 

If one of their star players falls short in their academics, will they really be let go? I highly, highly doubt it. I'm not talking about doctoring grades... I'm sure there's a bunch of little things that can help them along the way - little things that obviously will never be offered to the usual student.

NEWS 1130 SportsVerified account ‏@NEWS1130Sports  5m5 minutes ago

Talked with North Dakota coach Brad Berry about #Canucks draft pick Brock Boeser who has 18 goals in 26 games as a freshman.

"He came in the summer and worked hard, he's a very humble hard working kid who has a shot first mentality." 

"He's a special player, I put him in that same category as Jonathan Toews and T.J. Oshie at ND, being a special player." 

Berry says like every young kid, Boeser needs to work on consistency, when you get to the NHL, you have to bring it every night. 

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, NameFaker said:

Makes me wonder if profs are aware of the student athletes or are given directives by coaches/administration. A movie'll probably come out about this next year. Let's license the idea and make millions, yeah?

by the way, I always imagine a specific voice from your image. No idea what Monahan sounds like, but every post I read is precede by a: Yeerrnngh!! A la Pokemon Red

haha what do you mean? like the character's voice when you have the sound on?

13 hours ago, Alflives said:

Having lived this myself, I can confirm. However, there's a very real possibility that hockey is the money maker at UND.