The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brock Boeser | #6 | RW

thejazz97

1 hour ago, Hutton Wink said:

No worries, Bossman will draft a new brigade shortly to keep you busy.

I hope so, I'm almost as excited for the 33rd overall pick as I am for the top 6 pick. Because I know I get to follow that 33rd overall pick all season. (Maybe Tyson Jost will drop to that pick and I have extra work to do watching UND ;) )

Gotta give it to Benning he can draft. He would make for a great head scout. I honestly hope when management gets canned which eventually will happen we demote Benning and not fire him. Jim's a good hockey guy need more of him in our scouting department.

Edited by WTG

5 hours ago, TheLiveWire said:

Here are some other top NHL stars that played for the University of North Dakota and their respective games played, goals, assists, and points for their Freshman season.

• Zach Parise (2002-2003): 61 Points in 39 Games (26 Goals, 35 Assists)
  • Travis Zajac (2003-2004): 36 Points in 59 Games (17 Goals, 19 Assists)
  • Jonathan Toews (2006-2007): 46 Points in 34 Games (18 Goals, 28 Assists)
  • Matt Frattin (2007-2008): 15 Points in 43 Games (4 Goals, 11 Assists)
  • TJ Oshie (2005-2006): 45 Points in 44 Games (24 Goals, 21 Assists)
  • Brock Nelson (2010-2011): 21 Points in 42 Games (8 Goals, 13 Assists)
  • Brock Boeser (2015-16): 60 Points in 42 Games (27 Goals, 33 Assists) (With a plus 45 on the season, and a championship to boot...)

No if and or buts about it, that is a solid group of names to be a part of. And statistically speaking, he is definately up there with All Stars like Tows, Oshie, and Parise. In fact one could argue he had the most impressive rookie season out of all of them, powering North Dakotas first line to a championship and a plus 45 on the season...

Jim Benning, you sir have found a steal at 23...

Thank Judd Brackett as well.

http://canucks.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=108577

He was a good person to promote.

16 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

Why are people calling Brock a steal?  The kid hasn't proven jack at the pro level yet.  

I see this all the time.  "GMJB is a drafting guru, look at all the steals he has made already.  Zhukenov, Olsen, Gaudette,  Boeser, Demko"  None of these kids have proven jack!  

It's like when people were actually penciling in Cassels as our 4th line center this year after watching him single handedly "shut down McJesus"   ..  2 goals in 64 AHL games for Cassels  ..

Boeser and Demko are both really good prospects.

It's not hard.

Cassels btw was injured for 2 straight off-seasons and it wouldn't surprise me if he breaks out next year.

9 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

Yeah they are great prospects.  Cody Hodgson was a great prospect as well.  So was Nail Yakupov and Alexandre Daigle

Players bust. It happens. Doesn't stop them from being bad prospects.

Cody Hodgson was a good pick, so was Jordan Schroeder, Daigle was a amazing prospect that just lacked motivation.

Both were really good picks and showed tremendous upside. It is the responsibility of the people that draft to pick the best prospect. It isn't to predict the weird ways that they can randomly bust.

Cody had short legs and had back surgery, Schroeder had a bunch of injuries, Daigle lacked motivation but was insanely talented.

Edited by WTG

3 hours ago, The 5th Line said:

Yeah they are great prospects.  Cody Hodgson was a great prospect as well.  So was Nail Yakupov and Alexandre Daigle

The thing about Boeser is that he is a character guy and a hardworker. This makes it harder for him to become a bust because he doesn't rest on his laurels 

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Coconuts said:

Jesus, I knew he was a very talented guy but damn. Dude is an animal. :o

That highlight package might showcase even more dominance than Demko's...
His highlights from last year looked a lot different - sneaking his way into open ice, preparing for that Brett Hull-esque one-timer, etc.
This package shows him handling the puck and making the plays himself. He's not merely benefitting from a good playmaker, he's creating space for himself and now feeding the puck to other open guys. But that shot is still there.. I mean damn.

Kid might have an even heavier shot than Jake. Can you imagine if we get Matthews? That's three guys that can just straight up beat even the most prepared goalie.

5 hours ago, The 5th Line said:

How do you even leave your home to go to work? Is this pessimism only Canuck related? Do you spend large parts of you day worrying about being hit by a bus, even though your town has no transit service?

You, and many others amaze me with your ability to keep, keeping on, day after day, waiting for the worst.

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, gurn said:

How do you even leave your home to go to work? Is this pessimism only Canuck related? Do you spend large parts of you day worrying about being hit by a bus, even though your town has no transit service?

You, and many others amaze me with your ability to keep, keeping on, day after day, waiting for the worst.

He must be from Cranbrook.  That's where some guy was walking down the street, and a helicopter fell out of the sky and squashed him DEAD.  Life is really scary in some places that don't have transit, so don't blame him for his pessimism.:lol:

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Alflives said:

He must be from Cranbrook.  That's where some guy was walking down the street, and a helicopter fell out of the sky and squashed him DEAD.  Life is really scary in some places that don't have transit, so don't blame him for his pessimism.:lol:

... I never want to go to Cranbrook. 

Kidding aside, Boeser looks like a player

2 minutes ago, NaveJoseph said:

... I never want to go to Cranbrook. 

Kidding aside, Boeser looks like a player

Boeser looks AMAZING!  Plus, he's a kid in a big heavy body.  He's only going to get faster and quicker  and stronger as he physically matures.  He would look great beside Matthews next season!  ::D

I was just about to ask if anyone knew anything about Kyle Connor's status and what his talks with Winnipeg has been like since he got eliminated. If i remember correctly, Winnipeg still had games remaining and could have burned a year of Connor's ELC had he signed earlier. 

From those who have done their research, is there a huge difference between Connor and Boeser's overall play. If Connor, Larkin et al. were all one and done players, is Boeser in that group? He put up better numbers than Larkin and accomplished what every college player dreams of in his first year. What else does he need to do in college?

5 minutes ago, junglesniper said:

I was just about to ask if anyone knew anything about Kyle Connor's status and what his talks with Winnipeg has been like since he got eliminated. If i remember correctly, Winnipeg still had games remaining and could have burned a year of Connor's ELC had he signed earlier. 

From those who have done their research, is there a huge difference between Connor and Boeser's overall play. If Connor, Larkin et al. were all one and done players, is Boeser in that group? He put up better numbers than Larkin and accomplished what every college player dreams of in his first year. What else does he need to do in college?

Interesting, Dylan Larkin seems to be one of the top 5 best players in his class

3 minutes ago, Cowardrobertford said:

Interesting, Dylan Larkin seems to be one of the top 5 best players in his class

I think in Boeser and Larkin are even in terms of IceQ, Boeser the better shot, but the reason why I think Larkin was able to make the jump was his skating. The new NHL is way more favourable to players who can skate and Larkin has breakaway speed and the mind that can keep up. While Boeser is a good skater, although he says he needs to work on his quickness, he isn't an exceptional skater. So perhaps he needs to play a season in the AHL. I really want to see him signed.

30 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Boeser looks AMAZING!  Plus, he's a kid in a big heavy body.  He's only going to get faster and quicker  and stronger as he physically matures.  He would look great beside Matthews next season!  ::D

they played together at the WJC tournament as well!
or if we drop to 5th Boeser and Tkachuk played at WJC too!

6 hours ago, The 5th Line said:

Why are people calling Brock a steal?  The kid hasn't proven jack at the pro level yet.  

I see this all the time.  "GMJB is a drafting guru, look at all the steals he has made already.  Zhukenov, Olsen, Gaudette,  Boeser, Demko"  None of these kids have proven jack!  

It's like when people were actually penciling in Cassels as our 4th line center this year after watching him " single handedly shut down McJesus"   ..  2 goals in 64 AHL games for Cassels  ..

They are all 19 except for Demko, I suppose you had proven all sorts of "jack" by then.

Go live in Edmonton were the kids really haven't proven jack...