The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brock Boeser | #6 | RW

thejazz97

12 hours ago, fanfor42 said:

Brock has 311 points in 398 games.

That is .781 points per game.

Problem is he misses a lot of games due to injury.  If he gets in shape that should translate into more durability.

82 games at .781 is 64 points. If being in shape improves his performance he could easily become a 75 point player. Guy is only 26.

I think he is going to become a much better player as he gets closer to his peak years.

That's great n all. The problem is when you take him off Pete, Miller or Bo's line and replace him with a Beauvellier, Garland, Pearson, Kuzmenko not only do the offensive metrics but the defensive metrics as well of the entire line improve.  

So yes he get's points but the line he is on as a whole regresses. https://moneypuck.com/lines.htm

Edited by hammertime
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, hammertime said:

That's great n all. The problem is when you take him off Pete, Miller or Bo's line and replace him with a Beauvellier, Garland, Pearson, Kuzmenko not only do the offensive metrics but the defensive metrics as well of the entire line improve.  

So yes he get's points but the line he is on as a whole regresses. https://moneypuck.com/lines.htm

And this is the true problem; BB gets points, but he is defensively not sound and often show minimal effort. My hope would be that the increased fitness results in more effort defensively and that he starts to use his size to drive offense. As of now, he simply is using his shot.

For those that want to turn him into a rough and tumble power fwd, it just isn't going to happen; he is who he is which is fine. What we need to see is some of the rookie BB shine back through.

And FYI on the shoulder shrug thing; he has done that his whole college and NHL career. I think it is simply something he started doing young (maybe bc of equipment) that is now just habit...much like those idiots chewing their mouth guards. 

Just now, BC_Hawk said:

And this is the true problem; BB gets points, but he is defensively not sound and often show minimal effort. My hope would be that the increased fitness results in more effort defensively and that he starts to use his size to drive offense. As of now, he simply is using his shot.

For those that want to turn him into a rough and tumble power fwd, it just isn't going to happen; he is who he is which is fine. What we need to see is some of the rookie BB shine back through.

And FYI on the shoulder shrug thing; he has done that his whole college and NHL career. I think it is simply something he started doing young (maybe bc of equipment) that is now just habit...much like those idiots chewing their mouth guards. 

I disagree with the bolded. I'm not so sure he has the shot in his arsenal anymore. I agree with the rest 100%. I think his IQ has allowed him to continue to stay relevant the added girth gives him the brawn to get those greasy ones around the net  but has slowed him down. I don't think we see those goals from him anymore where the goes mono a mono with price and blasts one by him. Most of Brocks goals these days are scored below the circles. Which don't get me wrong is absolutely a valuable trait but thats where you want a Joshua or a Gadjovich. He's not scoring from distance anymore and IMO isn't nasty enough to play around the net even if he's able to make it work 6.65m is too much to pay for him to be a garbage man and we need 100% efficiency on contracts with the OEL penalty looming. 

Brock had 18G lastyear. IMO Joshua could have had similar numbers in those mins costing sub 1m

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, hammertime said:

I disagree with the bolded. I'm not so sure he has the shot in his arsenal anymore. I agree with the rest 100%. I think his IQ has allowed him to continue to stay relevant the added girth gives him the brawn to get those greasy ones around the net  but has slowed him down. I don't think we see those goals from him anymore where the goes mono a mono with price and blasts one by him. Most of Brocks goals these days are scored below the circles. Which don't get me wrong is absolutely a valuable trait but thats where you want a Joshua or a Gadjovich. He's not scoring from distance anymore and IMO isn't nasty enough to play around the net even if he's able to make it work 6.65m is too much to pay for him to be a garbage man and we need 100% efficiency on contracts with the OEL penalty looming. 

Brock had 18G lastyear. IMO Joshua could have had similar numbers in those mins costing sub 1m

You got me; I should have said "has" used his shot. After the wrist injury, most of his goals have been dirty ones below the circles. This is all based on getting gifted time on top lines OR #1 PP. In the end, Joshua would score 70-75% of those goals if gifted the time...plus contribute on the forecheck and back check at <1m per year.

In reality, BB resigning was a 2 year mistake by PA. Though I feel PA has done a good job so far, this is the one signing that really leaves egg on his face, and I have felt that since the ink touched paper. A 1 year QO would have made soooo much more sense.

So news of him getting into shape and being mentally ready are great....I'm just not buying the 6.65m koolaid neither

14 minutes ago, MeanSeanBean said:

One of my hottest Canucks takes is probably, I believe him.

He’s easy to cheer for. A lot of haters just want to move him but I prefer to see some players we have just succeed with our team instead of salivating over other teams players 

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, 250Integra said:

30 + goals and a 70+ point season coming for Mr. Brock?

I thought Boeser would've had a great season last year, but the loss of his dad last off season was weighing heavy. I think it scared him, the thought of being traded. He loves it in VAN, loves his team mates. He wants to be here, because he knows there's something special  happening. Same with Miller, he really wanted to stay too. 

Brock's off season training sounds positive, he knows what's at stake. I think he comes back next season with 6 times the goals as his number (36 goals) - 3rd in team goals :ph34r:

Gonna be a good year

Boeser will be fine. He'll come to camp in the best shape of his life. By his own admission, he had a tough year due to injury and constant trade rumours. He will be better next year, and the team will be better for it.

As my favourite off-ice Canuck currently, nothing would make me more pleased than to see Brock score 30+ and get to 65-75 points--I know he can play at that level, he's just never strung a full season of it together.

13 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

As my favourite off-ice Canuck currently, nothing would make me more pleased than to see Brock score 30+ and get to 65-75 points--I know he can play at that level, he's just never strung a full season of it together.

Never found his A-game after his wrist and back injuries either. Perhaps time heals.

Close to doubling last year's goal total would be a great accomplishment.

Hopefully getting lighter/faster helps his game. 

He needs to be more selfish too. Him being an elite 30+ goal scoring threat opens up ice for everyone, especially our other elite goal scoring threats. Only so many players to give so much space. If you can't give anyone on the ice space... well you're up shit creek without a paddle. 

I am weary as it's been a long time since we've seen Brock bring his A-game(pretty much early in his career) and it's now or never. He can't allow anymore people to pass him in the top 6. 

34 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Never found his A-game after his wrist and back injuries either. Perhaps time heals.

Close to doubling last year's goal total would be a great accomplishment.

Hopefully getting lighter/faster helps his game. 

He needs to be more selfish too. Him being an elite 30+ goal scoring threat opens up ice for everyone, especially our other elite goal scoring threats. Only so many players to give so much space. If you can't give anyone on the ice space... well you're up shit creek without a paddle. 

I am weary as it's been a long time since we've seen Brock bring his A-game(pretty much early in his career) and it's now or never. He can't allow anymore people to pass him in the top 6. 

Although he wasn't quite the sniper he was at a rookie, I think some people forget that he was our leading scorer just two years ago during the COVID year with 49 points in 56 games--playing every game in the season. He was health and on pace for 33 or 34 goals and over 70 points, but that was a shortened year due to COVID. After that, he had a terrible 2021-22, both hockey-wise and personally. This year was a little better, but not by too much.

On 7/19/2023 at 8:44 PM, Alflives said:

Yup. Any stuff between whistles should be fights or threats of fights. Boeser needs some scares on his face. We want him lean and mean. No more Mr. Nice guy da beauty league. Fight club! 

On 7/19/2023 at 10:41 PM, hammertime said:

I don't think Brock's got any fire in his belly. He's a great guy with a ton of talent but he's just soaking it up loving life care free. You could literally behead Pete infront of him and his response would be "hey bro that wasn't cool you need to chill more I'm having a BBQ later you should come." 

Is he going to score in the playoffs?? Does he have the battle and drive to push through adversity? 

I see a guy who's just having fun playing shinny at the pond with a couple beers in a snow bank. Can't be mad at the guy he's just not wired to be a pro athlete. That he's gotten this far on his gifts is remarkable and good for him. 

I've said before that Brock reminds me of Ovechkin the way he slows down in the Ozone and gets in place for his shot. But Ovechkin also is only successful after he gets pissed off after getting hammered on the boards. Brock needs to get pissed off to be good again. Hope we play against Schenn soon and he gives Brock what he needs. The wake up call. Everyone likes him, no one hits him but even though Luke Schenn likes him he will hit him hard and get him on his game again

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, -AJ- said:

Although he wasn't quite the sniper he was at a rookie, I think some people forget that he was our leading scorer just two years ago during the COVID year with 49 points in 56 games--playing every game in the season. He was health and on pace for 33 or 34 goals and over 70 points, but that was a shortened year due to COVID. After that, he had a terrible 2021-22, both hockey-wise and personally. This year was a little better, but not by too much.

That was the season Petey was out half the season was our main offensive weapon so that opened up room for others in terms of offensive opportunity. It was also a North division that only had 6 teams to play against which is hard to give merit properly. 

He played well with the opportunity granted given the circumstances but he isn't gonna get the same opportunities as he did back during that year, especially with Kuz added and Petey healthy. Not unless he steps up big which IMO he hasn't really done since his rookie and +1 seasons conclusively. 

Edited by Junkyard Dog

6 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

That was the season Petey was out half the season was our main offensive weapon so that opened up room for others in terms of offensive opportunity. It was also a North division that only had 6 teams to play against which is hard to give merit properly. 

He played well with the opportunity granted given the circumstances but he isn't gonna get the same opportunities as he did back during that year, especially with Kuz added and Petey healthy. Not unless he steps up big which IMO he hasn't really done since his rookie and +1 seasons conclusively. 

It's interesting though, because Petey struggled (although was injured) and Miller also wasn't as good and was supplanted by Boeser as our best forward that year. Even though it was only against 6 other teams, we seemed to struggle even more against those six teams, but oddly enough, Boeser thrived, contrary to the performance of the rest of the team.

It's also interesting that when he was given the opportunity to be our best player at that time, he took the role and became our best player (at least our best skater, as Markstrom won the Cyclone Taylor). Interestingly, during his rookie years, Boeser was also "the guy" and took over from Daniel as our best goal scorer. Seems like he thrives when he's leaned on as our primary offense, but seems to struggle more in a supportive role.

I'm not sure if there's any sort of lesson to learn from that, as he's also been given minutes with Petey and Miller quite a bit in the last two years and not really done that well with that time. I wonder if all three of Kuzmenko, Petey, and Miller were injured if Boeser would have another great year or not. Would be a weird situation for sure.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, EastCoastNucks said:

I've said before that Brock reminds me of Ovechkin the way he slows down in the Ozone and gets in place for his shot. But Ovechkin also is only successful after he gets pissed off after getting hammered on the boards. Brock needs to get pissed off to be good again. Hope we play against Schenn soon and he gives Brock what he needs. The wake up call. Everyone likes him, no one hits him but even though Luke Schenn likes him he will hit him hard and get him on his game again

The best goal-scorer in NHL history and you think he achieved that by... getting pissed.  Right.  Skip Bayless usually refers to this as "fire"  "heart", or "hunger".  Top-tier analysis right there.

Let's just say that's the secret formula to Ovie's success.  Have you ever seen angry Boeser in his career?  Even once?  Some people play with emotions and others don't.  That comparison is meaningless.  Players become better by being smarter and more efficient.  Good conditioning helps with that a lot and Boeser is working on that this summer.

• Cheers 1

53 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

And then he went on to the playoffs where he scored at a blistering 23g pace only matched by the likes of Tanner Pearson and Tyler Motte who had none of the offensive deployment Brock had. Over half of Brocks points coming on the PP. 8th in goals per 60min from our regular season leading scorer. 

It was this playoffs I realized Brock didn't have it. I hope he gets it but at some point we've seen a large enough sample size. How many off seasons have we said this is the year. I'm always optimistic it would be such a feel good story if this was finally the year.  

48 minutes ago, EastCoastNucks said:

14 minutes ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

The best goal-scorer in NHL history and you think he achieved that by... getting pissed.  Right.  Skip Bayless usually refers to this as "fire"  "heart", or "hunger".  Top-tier analysis right there.

Let's just say that's the secret formula to Ovie's success.  Have you ever seen angry Boeser in his career?  Even once?  Some people play with emotions and others don't.  That comparison is meaningless.  Players become better by being smarter and more efficient.  Good conditioning helps with that a lot and Boeser is working on that this summer.

Ok, you need more then Ovi as an example? Jarome Iginla. He was nothing until we hit him a few times. Then the fire. 

Boeser had the fire snuffed via injuries and other personal things.

Nothing that a few hits are not going to wake the fire up in him.... He will get going this year. Promise and quote me next year Bob

• Haha 1