The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brock Boeser | #6 | RW

thejazz97

17 minutes ago, Diamonds said:

Wow, some of the hate that Boeser gets is ridiculous. The dude might be overpaid but that doesn't suddenly make him a bust. He was a late 1st round pick that has played almost 400 games by age 26 at a 0.78 PPG average. It's not like he’s Brendan Gaunce or Nick Jensen, what he's done is fantastic for a late 1st.

Those two guys were paid peanuts.  If Boeser was paid what their contracts were, nobody would say a word.  With that contract comes significantly higher expectations.  That just comes with the territory.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan

11 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Those two guys were paid peanuts.  If Boeser was paid what their contracts were, nobody would say a word.  With that contract comes significantly higher expectations.  That just comes with the territory.

Sure, I'm happy to say he's not playing up to his contract and is overpaid by 1M-1.5M but that still doesn't make him a bust or a bad player, just an overpaid one.

• Upvote 1

That's a good article. 

We all knew he was struggling with his father's ailment and subsequent death. He's human, after all. 

Him saying he resented the game because it took him away from being with his father is quite understandable. It's easy to tell him to suck it up because he's paid millions, but people process things differently.

The comment about the game being fast is true. We all know the skill Bess has, but he needs to bring his skating and tenacity to another level. Sure sounds from that article that he's gonna try.

But then, he was going to score 30...

On 4/20/2023 at 1:32 PM, Snake Doctor said:

This guy has been a bigger bust than Alexander Daigle. 

A 23rd overall pick who is 10th in production for his draft class is a bigger bust than a first overall pick who is 19th in production for his class? We evidently have different definitions of bust. What is yours?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Bored, so going over hockeydb stats of two former comparables to BB - Oshie and Pavelski.

Boeser in his 7th year, (arguably 6th year), yet to hit 30 goals.

Pavelski scored 31 in his 6th season but Oshie did not hit 30 goals until his 9th season.

How comparable are they now? Is Pavelski that much of a better skater than Brock?

30 goals for Brock - it's doable.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, rizzuto&hatoum said:

Bored, so going over hockeydb stats of two former comparables to BB - Oshie and Pavelski.

Pavelski scored 31 in his 6th season but Oshie did not hit 30 goals until his 9th season.

How comparable are they now? Is Pavelski that much of a better skater than Brock?

He's been on pace for over 30 goals a few times, so he definitely has it in him.

42 minutes ago, rizzuto&hatoum said:

both better skaters than brock both mhave more dimensions to their game 

Sophie is more power forward and physical

Pavelski more two way 

On 4/17/2023 at 11:45 PM, Bob.Loblaw said:

It does seem like Vancouver's committed to keeping him based off that last-minute burst of production.  With the family matters mostly behind him now, I expect Boeser to come into camp in good shape.  I don't know if that means not playing in Da Beauty or just doing more, but if he starts struggling in September he's gonna get traded.

nnnooooo not Da Beautyyyyy league...

• There it is 1

Tocchet's interview on the podcast recently was interesting - I don't know if we've had a coach fly out to meet guys during the off-season, but I think that'd be huge for Brock. We need him fully in shape this season and Tocchet is the perfect type of coach to get him there. If Brock has a good relaxing summer and then intense work-out in August I think he can get there. He was almost a PPG in the last 20 or so games under Rick, I know we all said this last off-season but I'm expecting big things from Brock next year.

4 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Tocchet's interview on the podcast recently was interesting - I don't know if we've had a coach fly out to meet guys during the off-season, but I think that'd be huge for Brock. We need him fully in shape this season and Tocchet is the perfect type of coach to get him there. If Brock has a good relaxing summer and then intense work-out in August I think he can get there. He was almost a PPG in the last 20 or so games under Rick, I know we all said this last off-season but I'm expecting big things from Brock next year.

Let's hope Brock can come back as a game changer for the Canucks. He has all the tools other than so/so skating. My issue with BB is his physical game. When Petey, 30 pounds lighter, plays a more effective physical game then there is a problem. That said BB played more net front under RT and seemed to handle it well. 

It is all about building a Cup contender not just a regular season fun to watch team. Currently Seattle is showing what it is all about. Does Brock fit into that? I suspect part of RT travelling to see players this summer is also an effort to assess these players and whether to keep them or not. If BB is moved, which is likely, it might be about who comes back. We know that Allvin likely talked to many teams last season about Boeser. Boeser was obviously show cased this spring as he got top line TOI. The Canucks have options going into the fall. 

• 3 weeks later...

Not sure if I'm the only one who felt he was out of place there, but Boeser on PP1 as the net front screener/ tipper last season seems like a bit of a waste IMO.
Not that he doesn't have the hands for those kinds of plays, but his game's always seemed like one that flourished best when he could get his shot off on the rush, or if it was "on his stick, off his stick" in short order (e.g. if he played bumper, or on the left flank on his forehand).  I really think that if he got more of a "goal scorer" deployment he could get that lethal shot of his back with more regularity and we could see some new heights in his scoring IMO.

• 2 weeks later...

Boeser hits 30 next season. lets hope he is focusing on both skating and board battles this summer. 

Also no reason to wait till August to start working. If he wants to stay a Canucks, that off season preparation has hopefully already started. 

• Cheers 1

38 minutes ago, Seannnp said:

Boeser hits 30 next season. lets hope he is focusing on both skating and board battles this summer. 

Also no reason to wait till August to start working. If he wants to stay a Canucks, that off season preparation has hopefully already started. 

All or nothing. This years he's a 30 goal guy or he isn't. If he want's to live up to his potential, it has to be now.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, MeanSeanBean said:

All or nothing. This years he's a 30 goal guy or he isn't. If he want's to live up to his potential, it has to be now.

To be fair, he's scored at a 30-goal pace three times in his career, but has always been hampered by injury, including 29 goals in 62 games as a rookie.

He's getting healthier though, as he played his first 70+ game season in 2021-22 with 71 games and even more this year at 74 games, so here's hoping he can play 75+ this upcoming year.

10 minutes ago, shazzam said:

sure we need goals, but we need more complete forwards. Boeser floats like his controller disconnected

He does train in da Beauty league. If Brock wanted to truly be the best player he could be then he’d commit to the sacrifice. Da beauty league isn’t exactly making the sacrifice. 

17 hours ago, Alflives said:

He does train in da Beauty league. If Brock wanted to truly be the best player he could be then he’d commit to the sacrifice. Da beauty league isn’t exactly making the sacrifice. 

Da Beauty League is a charity event - not a substitute to training.  Can't imagine any player would think it is.  It's a fun way to raise funds for local charities and promote hockey in Minnesota.  It was created by his own agent and hockey players in Minnesota nearly all participate.