The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brock Boeser | #6 | RW

thejazz97

13 minutes ago, hammertime said:

And then he went on to the playoffs where he scored at a blistering 23g pace only matched by the likes of Tanner Pearson and Tyler Motte who had none of the offensive deployment Brock had. Over half of Brocks points coming on the PP. 8th in goals per 60min from our regular season leading scorer. 

It was this playoffs I realized Brock didn't have it. I hope he gets it but at some point we've seen a large enough sample size. How many off seasons have we said this is the year. I'm always optimistic it would be such a feel good story if this was finally the year.  

Admittedly, though I'm a huge fan of Boeser's, at this point, I'm in the "I believe he can do it, but he probably won't" camp. I think he can score 70 points, but if I was a betting man, I'm betting he wouldn't expect more than 60. He's just disappointed me too many times to expect great things out of him. Really hoping he proves me wrong though and actually does it.

10 minutes ago, EastCoastNucks said:

Ok, you need more then Ovi as an example? Jarome Iginla. He was nothing until we hit him a few times. Then the fire. 

Boeser had the fire snuffed via injuries and other personal things.

Nothing that a few hits are not going to wake the fire up in him.... He will get going this year. Promise and quote me next year Bob

I think that everything Brock has been through, and if he actually reads all these posts, he is gonna be pissed off and instead of thinking about his game he is gonna shoot like he is mad. And he will score, alot. f**k the playmaking and passing he will just shoot and f**king score.

• Haha 1
  • Wat 1

10 minutes ago, EastCoastNucks said:

Ok, you need more then Ovi as an example? Jarome Iginla. He was nothing until we hit him a few times. Then the fire. 

Boeser had the fire snuffed via injuries and other personal things.

Nothing that a few hits are not going to wake the fire up in him.... He will get going this year. Promise and quote me next year Bob

I cannot think of two playing styles more different than Brock and Iggy.  #6 has never been an emotional player, never had to be and never will be.  #12 was a modern Gordie Howe.  Stop with these absurd comparisons.

1 minute ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

I cannot think of two playing styles more different than Brock and Iggy.  #6 has never been an emotional player, never had to be and never will be.  #12 was a modern Gordie Howe.  Stop with these absurd comparisons.

so, you dont watch the games you just read the stats afterwards.... you a lawyer or something? because Iginla and Ovechkin were never hard to defend against untill we hit them hard a few times and then they woke. Tanev on Iginla caused at least 20 goals which is why they wanted Tanev.  Which is why we should get him back.

• Cheers 1
  • RoughGame 1

23 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Admittedly, though I'm a huge fan of Boeser's, at this point, I'm in the "I believe he can do it, but he probably won't" camp. I think he can score 70 points, but if I was a betting man, I'm betting he wouldn't expect more than 60. He's just disappointed me too many times to expect great things out of him. Really hoping he proves me wrong though and actually does it.

I think we all are. 

8 minutes ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

3 minutes ago, EastCoastNucks said:

so, you dont watch the games you just read the stats afterwards.... you a lawyer or something? because Iginla and Ovechkin were never hard to defend against untill we hit them hard a few times and then they woke. Tanev on Iginla caused at least 20 goals which is why they wanted Tanev.  Which is why we should get him back.

My point is Brock will get emotional and will get pissed off. He will have fire. Its not all cool in the zoo and chill and have a beer anymore he has reasons to get his anger and maybe you guys are all part of that shit too

12 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

It's interesting though, because Petey struggled (although was injured) and Miller also wasn't as good and was supplanted by Boeser as our best forward that year. Even though it was only against 6 other teams, we seemed to struggle even more against those six teams, but oddly enough, Boeser thrived, contrary to the performance of the rest of the team.

It's also interesting that when he was given the opportunity to be our best player at that time, he took the role and became our best player (at least our best skater, as Markstrom won the Cyclone Taylor). Interestingly, during his rookie years, Boeser was also "the guy" and took over from Daniel as our best goal scorer. Seems like he thrives when he's leaned on as our primary offense, but seems to struggle more in a supportive role.

I'm not sure if there's any sort of lesson to learn from that, as he's also been given minutes with Petey and Miller quite a bit in the last two years and not really done that well with that time. I wonder if all three of Kuzmenko, Petey, and Miller were injured if Boeser would have another great year or not. Would be a weird situation for sure.

It makes for interesting research but it's hard to compare to normal seasons, it was a weird year. McDavid had 105 points in 56 games that year but the following year he had 123 points in 80 games. That's 18 more points but in 24 more games. I apply the same sort of thought to McDavid that year as I do to Boeser, though McDavid eventually followed up 2020-21 season this year(but it's McDavid).

It's harder to even give awards conclusively in a year like that.

I took that year as something he could build confidence going into following years coming back but he faced more injury and setbacks. He's been like the Sami Salo of forwards.  Then the father health issues. Both mental and physical setbacks.

When Boeser is at his best he isn't a 3rd wheel or support player. He's a grade A scoring threat teams have to watch out for. I feel the setbacks are a major cause of him not being able to return to that sort of form(Confidence being 2nd).

I am hoping being faster and lighter potentially that he is able to revamp and that find sort of starpower he had again. Come into the season with a fresh mindset. If he can be a 30 goal threat then we have 4 in the top 6... 2 per line... that makes for a strong top 6 group.

But the clock is ticking. If he gets passed up by another winger outplaying him, and we have lots and lots of young ones, then he might not be here much longer. Right now I have him better than Beau/Garland but they could have a good year and Hog/Pod could surprise(and are cheaper/might have more bang for buck if having good years).

This is a big year for him. Probably the biggest of his career if he wants to stay here. 

5 minutes ago, EastCoastNucks said:

If anyone could just turn it on the way Iggy and Ovie did during the careers, don't you think everyone in the league would play that way?  You don't need to be a hothead to succeed in the NHL.

Just now, EastCoastNucks said:

My point is Brock will get emotional and will get pissed off. He will have fire. Its not all cool in the zoo and chill and have a beer anymore he has reasons to get his anger and maybe you guys are all part of that shit too

My point is that Brock should focus on improving his own brand of hockey instead of trying to copycat legends with fundamentally different playing styles.

3 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

It makes for interesting research but it's hard to compare to normal seasons, it was a weird year. McDavid had 105 points in 56 games that year but the following year he had 123 points in 80 games. That's 18 more points but in 24 more games. I apply the same sort of thought to McDavid that year as I do to Boeser, though McDavid eventually followed up 2020-21 season this year(but it's McDavid).

It's harder to even give awards conclusively in a year like that.

I took that year as something he could build confidence going into following years coming back but he faced more injury and setbacks. He's been like the Sami Salo of forwards.  Then the father health issues. Both mental and physical setbacks.

When Boeser is at his best he isn't a 3rd wheel or support player. He's a grade A scoring threat teams have to watch out for. I feel the setbacks are a major cause of him not being able to return to that sort of form(Confidence being 2nd).

I am hoping being faster and lighter potentially that he is able to revamp and that find sort of starpower he had again. Come into the season with a fresh mindset. If he can be a 30 goal threat then we have 4 in the top 6... 2 per line... that makes for a strong top 6 group.

But the clock is ticking. If he gets passed up by another winger outplaying him, and we have lots and lots of young ones, then he might not be here much longer. Right now I have him better than Beau/Garland but they could have a good year and Hog/Pod could surprise(and are cheaper/might have more bang for buck if having good years).

This is a big year for him. Probably the biggest of his career if he wants to stay here. 

This is typical of the pressure he had been under, with the trade rumors and stuff. I hope he is just gonna forget all this politics and armchair gm's and just f**king play this year

3 minutes ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

If anyone could just turn it on the way Iggy and Ovie did during the careers, don't you think everyone in the league would play that way?  You don't need to be a hothead to succeed in the NHL.

My point is that Brock should focus on improving his own brand of hockey instead of trying to copycat legends with fundamentally different playing styles.

I only originally compared Boeser to Ovi when someone said he looks so slow.... Ovi is slow when he is getting into position. This topic is kind of an extension cause I also notice Ovi is only dangerous against Van when we hit him several times and he gets pissed off. Same with Iginla....

I think Brock will be better when he wants to beat the other team, whether its because they hit him, or pissed him of in any other way. He needs to get emotional about the game again and this year he will.

1 hour ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

let's just say that's the secret formula to Ovie's success.  Have you ever seen angry Boeser in his career?  Even once?  Some people play with emotions and others don't.  That comparison is meaningless.  Players become better by being smarter and more efficient.  Good conditioning helps with that a lot and Boeser is working on that this summer.

I cant wait to see angry Boeser. He is gonna make the flow great again. not with fights, but with snipes.

14 minutes ago, EastCoastNucks said:

I cant wait to see angry Boeser. He is gonna make the flow great again. not with fights, but with snipes.

8 minutes ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

This angry Boeser is a complete figment of your imagination.  In real life he is a cool, calm & collected player and always will be.

Yeah which is why I hope Schenn hits him real hard a few times.... We can wake the friendly giant

5 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Although he wasn't quite the sniper he was at a rookie, I think some people forget that he was our leading scorer just two years ago during the COVID year with 49 points in 56 games--playing every game in the season. He was health and on pace for 33 or 34 goals and over 70 points, but that was a shortened year due to COVID. After that, he had a terrible 2021-22, both hockey-wise and personally. This year was a little better, but not by too much.

A direct comparison between our two struggling right wingers yields some serious concerns about Boeser's game.  It has truly dropped off since the bubble season in Canada.

There are some who believe Boeser is about to hit his prime years simply because he's 26.  That's old-school thinking that ignores progression and health.  At even strength, players begin to trail off around this age while finish drops off much faster.  Despite Brock's struggles,  he quietly put up points, bolstered by his continued effectiveness on the power play.  This is in direct contrast to criminally underrated Conor Garland, who is far superior 5v5in every way but is ineffective on special teams.  I don't think anybody wants to see Boeser play the same way he did this past year, himself included.  I think the changes this summer are promising, but we really need to temper our expectations for a potential bounce-back year.  I believe he will improve - just not in the dramatic way CDC is hoping.

Could contain: Person, Text, Chart, PlotCould contain: Adult, Male, Man, Person, Text

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

A direct comparison between our two struggling right wingers yields some serious concerns about Boeser's game.  It has truly dropped off since the bubble season in Canada.

There are some who believe Boeser is about to hit his prime years simply because he's 26.  That's old-school thinking that ignores progression and health.  At even strength, players begin to trail off around this age while finish drops off much faster.  Despite Brock's struggles,  he quietly put up points, bolstered by his continued effectiveness on the power play.  This is in direct contrast to criminally underrated Conor Garland, who is far superior 5v5in every way but is ineffective on special teams.  I don't think anybody wants to see Boeser play the same way he did this past year, himself included.  I think the changes this summer are promising, but we really need to temper our expectations for a potential bounce-back year.  I believe he will improve - just not in the dramatic way CDC is hoping.

Could contain: Person, Text, Chart, PlotCould contain: Adult, Male, Man, Person, Text

Why do you think Garland struggles so much on the powerplay? I think he's been this way for a while. Is it worth taking him off the powerplay? A lot of people talk about how great he is in 5v5 situations but never address the issue of his terrible PP play.

6 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

I'll take 30 goals & 30 assists quite happily.  

He needs to improve his game without the puck.

“With Brock, there’s another level there,” Tocchet said in a recent interview with Farhan Lalji and Harman Dayal on The Vancast. “I think if he plays a really good game without the puck, all that other stuff is going to come.

“His wall work, his retrievals with pucks, helping out on the forecheck, there’s another level with him.

“If Brock can add another level, he can be a force for us.”

36 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Why do you think Garland struggles so much on the powerplay? 

Iirc he doesn't get much power play time as he is on the second unit, and thus ends up with about 30 seconds of ice time per try?

How does his production fair, as compared to the other folk on unit 2?

50 minutes ago, Gurn said:

Iirc he doesn't get much power play time as he is on the second unit, and thus ends up with about 30 seconds of ice time per try?

How does his production fair, as compared to the other folk on unit 2?

Last time I looked at the data, he's the worst performing regular 2PP forward. It's bizarre, but it seems to consistently be the case.

• Upvote 1

@-AJ- @Gurn  I've carried the discussion into the Garland thread 

Spoiler
1 minute ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

Part of the reason is that he indeed plays on the second unit alongside lesser quality players like Beauvillier and... Sheldon Dries?  Good god.  It's also probably skewed by them trying to bring the puck up after the first unit gets off.

Could contain: Text, Adult, Male, Man, Person

And yet, he always struggled on the PP, even in Arizona.  It's his playmaking skills that are brutally underrated (especially with his high-danger passes), but I guess they want more of a shooter on the first PP, and Boeser fills that role better.  Garland is a volume shooter, but he does take a lot of them from poor angles.  He just needs to focus on taking quality shots and he can definitely contend for getting a spot back on the 1PP.