The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brock Boeser | #6 | RW

thejazz97

I'm aware of where the "elite" defensemen have come from. Just because some have come in later rounds doesn't mean our late round picks (Subban, Hutton) are going to be elite. I mean any pick technically *could* but Subban and Hutton aren't going to. Watch their games. Neither of them projects to be sure fire NHL players let alone "elite" ones. They'd have to increase their development massively at the AHL level first to change how they project.

So if you are arguing that no one can know the future, congrats on making such a brilliant insight.

If you are arguing that Subban or Hutton have shown any signs of being elite so far, then nope.

Again, says who? You?

That brilliant insight of not knowing the future is the truth. Yet you act like you know what is going to happen. Sure, Subban might not become elite, but then again, he might. Nothing says they can't become elite, either. Amazing how you can't seem to handle someone saying that. Like it's somehow going to ruin your day that someone has some hope for our prospects.

Again, says who? You?

That brilliant insight of not knowing the future is the truth. Yet you act like you know what is going to happen. Sure, Subban might not become elite, but then again, he might. Nothing says they can't become elite, either. Amazing how you can't seem to handle someone saying that. Like it's somehow going to ruin your day that someone has some hope for our prospects.

Or how about you try handling this like a grown up (if indeed you are) rather than a whiny little kid who is sad cause someone doesn't think every one of our prospects is going to turn into Norris and Art Ross winners.

News flash champ, there is this thing called probability that you seem to be ignoring. You say things like "maybe Subban will become elite, maybe he won't" like they have equal chances of happening. They don't. The odds are somewhere in the neighbourhood of 99% that Subban does not become an "elite" defensemen. Know how I know? Cause there are hundreds of defensemen drafted in the 4th round like Subban and history has shown that 99% never become an "elite" defenseman.

And what exactly has Subban done to give indication that he won't be one of the 99% and will be part of the ultra-rare 1% that does become Shea Weber, Duncan Keith, PK Subban, etc? Has he made the Candian WJC team like the others did? Is he regarded as elite by any credible scouting organization? Hell, is he even considered the top prospect in Vancouver's own prospect pool?

So rather than whine that others don't choose the path of blind optimism, why don't you try looking at the incredible odds against anyone becoming an "elite" D and then ask if Subban or Hutton have actually done anything to show that they are likely to be the exceptions?

Or are you the kind of person who sits around the house waiting to win the lottery because technically you *can* win it and no one can tell you that you won't?

• Upvote 1

Or how about you try handling this like a grown up (if indeed you are) rather than a whiny little kid who is sad cause someone doesn't think every one of our prospects is going to turn into Norris and Art Ross winners.

News flash champ, there is this thing called probability that you seem to be ignoring. You say things like "maybe Subban will become elite, maybe he won't" like they have equal chances of happening. They don't. The odds are somewhere in the neighbourhood of 99% that Subban does not become an "elite" defensemen. Know how I know? Cause there are hundreds of defensemen drafted in the 4th round like Subban and history has shown that 99% never become an "elite" defenseman.

And what exactly has Subban done to give indication that he won't be one of the 99% and will be part of the ultra-rare 1% that does become Shea Weber, Duncan Keith, PK Subban, etc? Has he made the Candian WJC team like the others did? Is he regarded as elite by any credible scouting organization? Hell, is he even considered the top prospect in Vancouver's own prospect pool?

So rather than whine that others don't choose the path of blind optimism, why don't you try looking at the incredible odds against anyone becoming an "elite" D and then ask if Subban or Hutton have actually done anything to show that they are likely to be the exceptions?

Or are you the kind of person who sits around the house waiting to win the lottery because technically you *can* win it and no one can tell you that you won't?

What a pathetic response that's just proves what I said earlier. It's not about thinking everyone of our prospects will be art ross or Norris winners. Clearly you failed to notice this, but hockey is played on the ice, not on paper.

Funny, I don't remember the "experts" talking about how Weber, Keith, and P.K. were going to be awesome elite talent, either. All of them being second round picks. Oh, and here is a little newsflash for you, picking NHL-caliber defenseman outside of the first round isn't actually as rare as you think it is. Not in the salary cap era. This will come as a shock to you, but with 30 teams and hundreds upon hundreds of players in the league, not all of them are top-5 picks. Many of them are picked much later. Look at the each team's players and see where they were actually drafted. Otherwise, kindly shut up.

It's always funny seeing people like you taking a dump over our prospects and think you are being "realistic," when in reality, your not.

What a pathetic response that's just proves what I said earlier. It's not about thinking everyone of our prospects will be art ross or Norris winners. Clearly you failed to notice this, but hockey is played on the ice, not on paper.

Funny, I don't remember the "experts" talking about how Weber, Keith, and P.K. were going to be awesome elite talent, either. All of them being second round picks. Oh, and here is a little newsflash for you, picking NHL-caliber defenseman outside of the first round isn't actually as rare as you think it is. Not in the salary cap era. This will come as a shock to you, but with 30 teams and hundreds upon hundreds of players in the league, not all of them are top-5 picks. Many of them are picked much later. Look at the each team's players and see where they were actually drafted. Otherwise, kindly shut up.

It's always funny seeing people like you taking a dump over our prospects and think you are being "realistic," when in reality, your not.

"NHL caliber defensemen"?

The premise of the topic was "elite" defensemen, which is why I typed the word "elite" in my post a half dozen times.

So put your cards on the table champ. Do you think Vancouver has an "elite" defenseman in their system? Rather than take shots at people who have a different opinion why don't you state what exactly your opinion is then back it up with something resembling substance. I explained why I don't think Subban or Hutton will become elite NHL defensemen. Why don't you tell me why you think they will?

He is being realistic... when's the last time there was an elite defenseman who was 5'9? Subban is going to have a hard enough time as it is defending players in the AHL.

"NHL caliber defensemen"?

The premise of the topic was "elite" defensemen, which is why I typed the word "elite" in my post a half dozen times.

So put your cards on the table champ. Do you think Vancouver has an "elite" defenseman in their system? Rather than take shots at people who have a different opinion why don't you state what exactly your opinion is then back it up with something resembling substance. I explained why I don't think Subban or Hutton will become elite NHL defensemen. Why don't you tell me why you think they will?

Sorry, chump, but the onus is on you. You don't come and tell me our players aren't good enough and then expect me to just take your word for it when you actually haven't provided any proof at all why. Take your own advise. provide some substance. And no, false statistics on the success of prospects doesn't prove your point.

Do we have elite defensemen? I don't know. But, then again, neither do you. But you sure like to spout your uneducated opinion as if it was fact. This is also why we have a farm system, so we can develop players. Most players need to be developed, if you hadn't noticed. So forgive me for not buying into your garbage pessimism.

Sorry, chump, but the onus is on you. You don't come and tell me our players aren't good enough and then expect me to just take your word for it when you actually haven't provided any proof at all why. Take your own advise. provide some substance. And no, false statistics on the success of prospects doesn't prove your point.

Do we have elite defensemen? I don't know. But, then again, neither do you. But you sure like to spout your uneducated opinion as if it was fact. This is also why we have a farm system, so we can develop players. Most players need to be developed, if you hadn't noticed. So forgive me for not buying into your garbage pessimism.

You seem a tad angry about this. I'm not sure why.

Is it really "trashing" our prospects to say they aren't going to become among the 5-6 best players at their position in the NHL?

I think message boards aren't really for you based on your childish responses so far.

You seem a tad angry about this. I'm not sure why.

Is it really "trashing" our prospects to say they aren't going to become among the 5-6 best players at their position in the NHL?

I think message boards aren't really for you based on your childish responses so far.

LOL, like you should talk. Saying your opinion as fact doesn't make it fact. It's amazing how you still don't get it.

Oh, and you can quit projecting. It's clear you are getting upset because I called out your baseless opinions.

Can we shift the talk back to Brock Boeser?

Does anyone know if NDU will have streams of their games? How do I go about watching Boeser this season? I was rooting for Jim to pick him in the first round and we did. I think we have a special player, and if he can push himself to achieve, he might just end up being a 1st line type player. I want to watch his play without the puck, which is hard with almost only highlights out there.

This. It went from being about Horvat, MacKinnon, Monahan and Boeser to Hutton, Subban and Tryamkin. At least the first side conversation still had Boeser in it.

I said stop replying to Alflives, and now I'll say stop replying to Master Canuck. He clearly doesn't understand the likelihood of one of our D being projectable as elite at this stage and it seems he's just trolling you all to continue to keep this off topic.

Back to Boeser please.

LOL, like you should talk. Saying your opinion as fact doesn't make it fact. It's amazing how you still don't get it.

Oh, and you can quit projecting. It's clear you are getting upset because I called out your baseless opinions.

Im not upset In the slightest.

Never stated my opinion was fact. I assumed anyone over the age of 6 could figure out that everything on this board is opinion. Obviously I was wrong.

And my opinion isn't baseless as I've already explained why history shows Subban and Hutton are extremely unlikely to become elite. They have also done nothing since being drafted - like make an elite tournament like the WJC - which other late-drafted defensemen like Subban, Weber, and Keith did before hitting the NHL.

So I've considered their draft position, historic odds, and lack of signs of "elite-ness" since being drafted. In my OPINION, based on this, it would be a minor miracle if they did become elite NHL defensemen someday.

Can you handle that, or are you going to cry some more that I hate all your precious little prospects?

This. It went from being about Horvat, MacKinnon, Monahan and Boeser to Hutton, Subban and Tryamkin. At least the first side conversation still had Boeser in it.

I said stop replying to Alflives, and now I'll say stop replying to Master Canuck. He clearly doesn't understand the likelihood of one of our D being projectable as elite at this stage and it seems he's just trolling you all to continue to keep this off topic.

Back to Boeser please.

Apologies. Boeser, unlike the players that we've been talking about, is an excellent prospect and has a realistic chance of being a very good NHL scorer. Nothing much to add however since he hasn't played since the U.S. WJC summer camp and tourny. Will be fun following him in the upcoming season however.

It will be interesting to see how Brock measures up against older and more mature players. As a freshman, it will be a bit of a jump for him, so he will likely start out a bit slow.

I think this guy has some exciting potential and will see it on the rise later in the year. If Team USA don't use him in the JWCs, they will be making a big mistake.

What's with all this fear with him being a pure offense player. Have you watched his play? Because From the games I have seen, he looks outstanding offensively and also quite reliable defensively. At the camp he was show casing his shot and his nose for the net, but the few games Iv seen at the tourney this kid has looked incredibly sound on the back check and seems to have good positioning. Also read that he gets compared to Sharp, but guys who do this professionally. So where exactly is this fear coming from?

I honstly think this kid looks like a future first liner more then anyone we have. And as for Horvat, I think his offensive ceiling is being underestimated. He'll be a 1st liner one day, and a captain.