The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Guillaume Brisebois | D

Have not seen either of these points discussed yet this year. However it is quite impressive to see the character of Brisebois. Especially seeing him being traded & named captain of his new team. His poise & leadership will be welcomed to Utica/Vancouver.
Also on there is a lot of talk about him putting on weight, etc. Charlottetown would have gotten his new measurements when he arrived at training camp for their website, etc. Now showing at 6'3", and 190 lbs. Not too bad, another year & maybe another 10 lbs.

6 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Um, not at all.  Sid already addressed this.

Well unless sid has information that I don't know then I disagree.

This is a kid who wore his bure jersey with pride. A life long canucks fan. Also there were many people screaming to get him signed mid season. Mine included.

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, WTG said:

Well unless sid has information that I don't know then I disagree.

This is a kid who wore his bure jersey with pride. A life long canucks fan. Also there were many people screaming to get him signed mid season. Mine included.

I have to agree with this. Plus so many other teams were after Stecher as well, it's not like Benning outscouted the whole league to figure out that Stecher was going to be any good

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, WTG said:

Gillis gave us Tanev and Hutton

Stecher isn't a testament to Benning's scouting. We just got lucky he was a hometown kid.

Forsling was a Grandin pick

Neill is an overager 

Juolevi was a 5th overall pick of nobody could screw that up

Brisebois and Olson are the ones you should give him credit for

Tryamkin looks pretty good out there too.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Harvey Spector said:

Brisebois is gonna be a beauty.  He looks like he is gonna be a rock solid 2 way top 4 defenceman. 

Benning knows how to draft and sign defencemen. Look at our talent pool on D right now, it is ridiculous. 

Juolevi, Brisebois, Olson, Neill. Plus we already have Tryamkin and Stecher on the  big club.  Heck even Gustav Forsling looks like the real deal. Unfortunately Benning traded him. Compare this prospect pool on D to what Gillis gave us over 7 years compared to what Benning had already done in only 3 years and it is night and day. Other than Hutton every Gillis defensive draft pick was a flop. 

Jim Benning might be the best talent evaluator for defencemen in the entire NHL. 

Have to agree with this. We do see a lot of criticism of Benning, some of it rightfully, but his awareness of drafting quality dmen seems to be top notch so far. I am really excited to see how the above mentioned guys do in a couple of years. I guess it goes without saying that someone like Neill will be signed before hitting UFA.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, WTG said:

Stecher isn't a testament to Benning's scouting. We just got lucky he was a hometown kid.

Neill is an overager 

You seem to want to bash the GM for anything and not even recognize the reality of his quality attributes (which I've noticed becoming too common with Canucks fans these days). Benning did convince Stetcher to come here, and considering how awful some people say Vancouver is, he must have done a pretty swell job of convincing him considering he could have signed anywhere. Forsling was a gamble pick, that really hasn't shown a ton of talent yet; he is scratched on a very thin Chicago blueline ATM, so there is no verdict out on him yet. Neill, Brisebois and Olsen are all fantastic looking mid or late round picks so far. As for Juolevi I was so expecting Dubois there that was kind of surprised that after 4 our pick was already gone. Juolevi was controversial but I 100% agreed with the pick on draft day, and still do today. He will be by far the best dman of the draft and will be a #1 guy for us for years and years.

Edited by Pearly Jamble

2 hours ago, WTG said:

Neill is an overager 

You forgot about Nikita Tryamkin, or was that also a Gradin pick?

Gillis gave us 2 quality defenceman in 7 years. Not exactly a stellar record. If Juolevi was a slam dunk pick then why did ALOT of people on this forum prefer either Tkachuk or Sergachev or Chychrun or Nylander?  Was Juolevi even ranked at #5?  

As for Stecher sure he was a Canucks fan but at the end of the day you still have to sign the player. Milan Lucic is from Vancouver. People thought it was a slam dunk we would sign him. He didn't sign here. Stecher could have easily went to Edmonton as well to play with McJesus, it's not like they didn't need defencemen. 

Edited by Harvey Spector

13 minutes ago, Harvey Spector said:

As for Stecher sure he was a Canucks fan but at the end of the day you still have to sign the player. Milan Lucic is from Vancouver. People thought it was a slam dunk we would sign him. He didn't sign here. Stecher could have easily went to Edmonton as well to play with McJesus, it's not like they didn't need defencemen. 

Benning got lucky with Stecher, but completely failed with Lucic.  See how it works?

33 minutes ago, Pearly Jamble said:

Have to agree with this. We do see a lot of criticism of Benning, some of it rightfully, but his awareness of drafting quality dmen seems to be top notch so far. I am really excited to see how the above mentioned guys do in a couple of years. I guess it goes without saying that someone like Neill will be signed before hitting UFA.

His drafting skill is great in all areas not just D.

Goalies- Demko in 2nd round, future number one, and then signed Garteig who may be a good backup,minimum,  in a couple years.

Forwards- Boeser, gaudette, Lockwood look like steals where they were picked to name a few. Only questionable one in my mind is virtanen just because of the players drafted around him doing well. But I think virts going to be real gud, it's just going to take time.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, RetroCanuck said:

His drafting skill is great in all areas not just D.

Goalies- Demko in 2nd round, future number one, and then signed Garteig who may be a good backup,minimum,  in a couple years.

Forwards- Boeser, gaudette, Lockwood look like steals where they were picked to name a few. Only questionable one in my mind is virtanen just because of the players drafted around him doing well. But I think virts going to be real gud, it's just going to take time.

Yes I agree JB's overall drafting so far has been stellar, especially his picks in the later rounds. His eye for defensive talent however in my opinion is without equal. 

• Upvote 1