The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jim Benning on TSN1040 @1:30 today

Outsiders

Kassian was not fitting the their plans moving forward. They gave him a chance last season and he had chances before that with the previous regime.

Our has enough depth to let Kassian go. Who has been plagued with Back problems early in his career and has been inconsistent his entire career.

Exactly.

I think JB would rather see a player like Jake come in and be moulded and developed the right way than have Willie fighting a constant battle with Kass and trying to make him see the big picture. For Jake you might also read Grenier.

These are guys who will jump at being given a chance and thrive under Willie's coaching.

I am sad to see Kass go as I still thought he might pull his game round but his back problem is just another factor and it's not like he hasn't had plenty of chances. So it is what it is and I trust the management.

No we would have a power forward with potential who could potentially break out. Last year his back gave out on him this year he could have had a break out year and if the management has problems with his off ice crap then you can trade him when he actually has value. There was no reason to give Kassian away at all.

How many times have we heard that?

We would have a inconsistent forward who has the size you want but doesn't use it as much as he should. He tries to be too much of a skilled player at times. To top things off has been plagued with back issues.

Don't get me wrong. I wish Kassian the best of luck and hope he can overcome his back issues. I think he needs a fresh start more than anything.

I think JB thought that we could afford to move him with the depth we have while also having Grenier and Virtanen competing for a spot. Keeping him any longer could of gotten us less of a return if he had more back problems and wouldn't of given Grenier and Virtanen a chance.

No we would have a power forward with potential who could potentially break out. Last year his back gave out on him this year he could have had a break out year and if the management has problems with his off ice crap then you can trade him when he actually has value. There was no reason to give Kassian away at all.

Power forward? Come on that one sailed a long time ago, where have you been? I actually lost count of the number of times he was moved from the front of the net by smaller players, it was embarrassing.

I've got to disagree with you on this. Some of these kids have been playing pretty well in Utica, and should be given the opportunity. Grenier, Gaunce, Virtanen,I know small sample, and Shinkaruk. They're faster, and I think get it more than Kassian ever will. He's had 3 NHL coaches try to get to him, time's up.

None of those guys will get opportunities now since we got Prust in return.

We have one roster spot available and it will be for Baertschi.

We have enough depth are you ???? kidding? We have next to no depth.

Compared to when Benning took over, there is significantly more depth not only on the roster but in the prospect pool. Say all you want about quality, but compare it to what we had under Torts -- two lines then a bunch of journeymen and cast-off prospects.

Now, Benning can actually get to work freeing up roster spots to get the younger guys in, IF they're ready of course. By his comments today I think that may be the case, because he is reiterating "We aren't done, we're trying to make more moves." In a video earlier this year he spoke very well about Burrows' attitude and energy, so I think he may be the one to stay out of the potential movers. At the very least, we will see young players cycle in for injuries then more spots opened up at the TDL if they are ready to come in permanently.

None of those guys will get opportunities now since we got Prust in return.

We have one roster spot available and it will be for Baertschi.

No necessarily.

If the young player proves capable of making the team then room will be made to get him on the team.

If not we have the stop gaps needed next season.

Please Remove the space(Can't post the link) and sign the petition to Fire Benning

www. ipetitions.com/petition/please-fire-gm-jim-benning

Smh...

A petition to fire Benning?! Are you kidding me?

After you give your freaking head a shake, jump off the bandwagon and go support another team for Chr#$t's sake!

Some of you CDC'ers are mindnumbingly dumb. Embarrassing to b associated with you as Canucks fans.

No necessarily.

If the young player proves capable of making the team then room will be made to get him on the team.

If not we have the stop gaps needed next season.

They won't make room. Willie calls the shots and he has already shown he trusts vets more and will rely on them.

Is "stop gaps" CDC's new favorite words? What happened to laying the foundation of a new team with long term developmental players. All I see right now is more plugs filling holes that our young guys won't be able to displace next season.

We've seen this story before. Management saying they need to get younger, but then filling roster spots with vets, thus ensuring there will be no youth on the team.

Kassian seems like a good kid...but put it this way,...

The Canucks traded a guy who NEVER brought ANY consistency and would look lost out there on most nights...exactly the type of role model the org DOESN'T want for its younger players...for a guy who works his ASS off EVERY shift of every night, and who is a PERFECT role model for the young players to follow. Kassian's 'potential' is always just gonna be that...potential...meathead between the ears who WILL never have enough hockey iq to hold a regular gig in the NHL. Great move for the rebuild!

They won't make room. Willie calls the shots and he has already shown he trusts vets more and will rely on them.

Is "stop gaps" CDC's new favorite words? What happened to laying the foundation of a new team with long term developmental players. All I see right now is more plugs filling holes that our young guys won't be able to displace next season.

We've seen this story before. Management saying they need to get younger, but then filling roster spots with vets, thus ensuring there will be no youth on the team.

Would you rather gift spots to young players? What kind of message would that send? You need competition for spots and bringing in these veterans to fight for those spots creates competition. That sends the message to our young players that you have to earn your way on this team.

If young players make the team it will be because they are ready to take the next step like Baertschi, Markstrom, Corrado and Clendening who all will be granted the opportunity this camp.

If young players prove they are ready then they will make the team as Horvat did last season. A veteran will be moved in order to create room. If not enough of our young players look ready then we will need those veterans to fill those spots.

How many times have we heard that?

We would have a inconsistent forward who has the size you want but doesn't use it as much as he should. He tries to be too much of a skilled player at times. To top things off has been plagued with back issues.

Don't get me wrong. I wish Kassian the best of luck and hope he can overcome his back issues. I think he needs a fresh start more than anything.

I think JB thought that we could afford to move him with the depth we have while also having Grenier and Virtanen competing for a spot. Keeping him any longer could of gotten us less of a return if he had more back problems and wouldn't of given Grenier and Virtanen a chance.

You can hear it until he doesn't have the potential anymore he was not costing this team anything oh a roster spot for who Virtanen? So we lost a great asset to make room for a kid that will do pretty much nothing next year. Instead of sending him back to junior and keeping Kassian letting him potentially have a good season an unload him for SOMETHING. There is not justifications for this trade its just flat out stupid. We are quickly closing in on Jay Feaster level of stupidity.

Would you rather gift spots to young players? What kind of message would that send? You need competition for spots and bringing in these veterans to fight for those spots creates competition. That sends the message to our young players that you have to earn your way on this team.

If young players make the team it will be because they are ready to take the next step like Baertschi, Markstrom, Corrado and Clendening who all will be granted the opportunity this camp.

If young players prove they are ready then they will make the team as Horvat did last season. A veteran will be moved in order to create room. If not enough of our young players look ready then we will need those veterans to fill those spots.

I know the idea in theory. IN reality it never works.

Veteran players have been in the league a long time for a reason. Prust isn't going to get beaten out by Gaunce, Virtanen, or Grenier. It usually takes young players at least half a season to find their game, so thinking that these young kids are going to outplay a vet in a two week period is very unlikely.

And if all things are equal, Willie will go with the proven vet, just like any coach would.

I'd rather we don't trade our best assets for 31 year old plugs and give away draft picks. If Kassian turns around in Montreal and has a good season this will be even &^@#ing worse to stomach this is just such a pathetic trade. From what I am going to say is a delusional management.

Veteran players have been in the league a long time for a reason. Prust isn't going to get beaten out by Gaunce, Virtanen, or Grenier. It usually takes young players at least half a season to find their game, so thinking that these young kids are going to outplay a vet in a two week period is very unlikely.

And if all things are equal, Willie will go with the proven vet, just like any coach would.

Why wouldn't he I mean he is like 67 he has like 3 years left tops as a head coach he doesn't have time to develop kids he just wants to try and win a stanley cup. We won't be having a 72-73 year old guy coaching the canucks in 5 years.

You can hear it until he doesn't have the potential anymore he was not costing this team anything oh a roster spot for who Virtanen? So we lost a great asset to make room for a kid that will do pretty much nothing next year. Instead of sending him back to junior and keeping Kassian letting him potentially have a good season an unload him for SOMETHING. There is not justifications for this trade its just flat out stupid. We are quickly closing in on Jay Feaster level of stupidity.

Management probably didn't want to deal with the off-ice stuff and potential back issues which could further drop his value

If Virtanen/Grenier make the team they would be pushing a veteran out of the lineup. They still need to earn it.

I'd rather we don't trade our best assets for 31 year old plugs and give away draft picks. If Kassian turns around in Montreal and has a good season this will be even ???? worse to stomach this is just such a pathetic trade. From what I am going to say is a delusional management.

Kassian is far from our best asset. If he turns around in MTL then good for him. He was given a chance to do that here and as a result management doesn't think he should of been a part of their plan moving forward.

Do you have anything that can this up?

Benning has said numerous time if a young player proves he can play then room will be made. He has also emphasized getting younger players that can play soon hence why he brought in guys like Baertschi, Vey, Clendening and Pedan.

If the a young player proves he deserves a spot then a spot will be made for him to take. If not then we have veterans to take spots.

Nothing is set in stone. Things can change very quickly.

Archived