The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jim Benning on TSN1040 @1:30 today

Outsiders

Not all trades are going to be for young players. Linden said that yesterday.

We needed a player to fill that physical role while protecting our young players. That's what we are getting in Prust.

Dorsett can't be the only guy that sticks up for teammates.

12:10 lol

exactly. Makes perfect sense.

canucks traded bieksa for a 2nd round pick... there's your "getting younger"

again.... not every trade will be for young players, JB found a character guy that he thought we needed to protect and raise the young guys around.

Or did you want to ice an AHL team for the next 10 years ? If so just go cheer for edmonton and get off these boards.

I've been a fan of this team for 25years through thick and thin if you don't like what I say then ignore me. He says we are getting younger but then trades a 25 year old for a soon to be 31 year old UFA. It's a fair question to ask. Yet you tell me to go cheer for Edmonton. Ok keep drinking the kool aid you lemming.

I've been a fan of this team for 25years through thick and thin if you don't like what I say then ignore me. He says we are getting younger but then trades a 25 year old for a soon to be 31 year old UFA. It's a fair question to ask. Yet you tell me to go cheer for Edmonton. Ok keep drinking the kool aid you lemming.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ytCEuuW2_A

Focusing on only the kassian trade is blatant cherry picking. It is very possible that the Canucks have quite a few young players make the team next year- you expect Dorsett to be the only guy to stick up for them no matter what? With Bieksa gone the Canucks needed another leader in team toughness- Prust will do that. Him and Dorsett are going to get other guys amped to play hard too because team comradery is a funny thing. Watch the presser- JB laid out his reasons quite clearly.

canucks traded bieksa for a 2nd round pick... there's your "getting younger"

again.... not every trade will be for young players, JB found a character guy that he thought we needed to protect and raise the young guys around.

Or did you want to ice an AHL team for the next 10 years ? If so just go cheer for edmonton and get off these boards.

Sure, not every trade is about getting younger, and as a team we should be getting younger on the whole right?

Lets look at our forward group still:

Sedin - Sedin - Vbrata

Higgins - Bonino - Burrows

Dorsett - Horvat - Hansen

Prust - ? - Vey

Where is the opportunity for youth in that lineup? I can tell you for a fact that Dorsett and Prust are locks for bottom-6 winger positions, or Benning would look like a fool signing/trading for them.

Vbrata and the twins are still our best players so aren't moving from that top line.

Higgins and Burrows are still good for around 15 goals, and while their minutes MAY be reduced if the kids play well, I don't see either of them becoming a healthy scratch.

That really leaves 3 or 4 roster spots where kids can fully compete for a position, and realistically only Baertschi is good enough to knock a veteran off some ice-time.

As for the 4th line center spot, Gaunce has been playing on the wing all season in Utica, McCann still only has 1 extra junior season under his belt and Cassels hasn't played an AHL game yet. Throwing either McCann or Cassels into 10 minutes a night at the NHL level is a bit too much to ask, and I'd be weary doing the same for Gaunce who hasn't played true center for about a year.

Our roster is a mess right now, and unless Benning trades one (or two) of Higgins, Hansen or Burrows, this team is not changing direction any time soon. It's all well and good to have guys like Dorsett and Prust, but we already have Higgins and Burrows. Now we've got TOO many veterans who play good defence and bring character, not enough skilled forwards who can score goals.

Mark my words, if the Canucks don't change up their forwards, they will be the team that struggles to score next season.

Some of your don't read or listen to why Benning did the move. First I was a bit surprised but not that much.

Benning's reasons

They've got depth on the right wing and Kassian isn't first in line anymore.

They worked hard with him to help his game but things were not moving along.

There were some off ice stuff and had concerns about his preparation.

What you can be sure of is that there a lot of guys in the organization who know hockey and obviously they were in agreement that Kassian was not going to work out for the club. As well you can bet that they tried to shop him but didn't get any high end offers - remember Cody just got bought out. In the end they decided to trade him to address an issue they had with team toughness. Since he is been here it is really hard to say that his game has improved very much.

Kassian was a non-factor last year for us.

As for the 4th line center spot, Gaunce has been playing on the wing all season in Utica, McCann still only has 1 extra junior season under his belt and Cassels hasn't played an AHL game yet. Throwing either McCann or Cassels into 10 minutes a night at the NHL level is a bit too much to ask, and I'd be weary doing the same for Gaunce who hasn't played true center for about a year.

Our roster is a mess right now, and unless Benning trades one (or two) of Higgins, Hansen or Burrows, this team is not changing direction any time soon. It's all well and good to have guys like Dorsett and Prust, but we already have Higgins and Burrows. Now we've got TOO many veterans who play good defence and bring character, not enough skilled forwards who can score goals.

Mark my words, if the Canucks don't change up their forwards, they will be the team that struggles to score next season.

Yeah, they've basically given 4C to Vey. Linden says they're done making moves unless something unexpected comes up. We lost our C depth in a big way but its the Kassian trade that going to kill our secondary scoring.

Sorry but no team in our division is going "oh no, they picked up Prust, We'd better behave."

Prust gets into a lot of fights but like Dorsett he fails to intimidate. He will not be a deterrent for other teams to take liberties with our lollipop guild members.

If we needed to get rid of Kassian, then fine but to trade bigger faster and younger for slower older and smaller is a loss no matter how you try to dress it up. Get a pick instead and give another young guy a shot at that spot.

Like who?

I don't have an issue with the Bieksa trade really. The Lack trade should've been better.. and this Prust trade is void of any logic. Well, someone said it was to get rid of a "distraction bigger than his contribution" - fair enough. But that distraction wasn't of his own making. Debatable mismanagement at both positions.. GM and coach..

3 coaches mismanaged Kassian? Okay then. When will all you kass fans wake up and start putting the blame on the player. When 3 different coaches have problems with the kid then you have to start to wonder if perhaps the kids the problem and not management, and not the coach.

Lack, Bieksa and Kassian were three of my four favourite players on the team, and now I'm starting to get severely p****d off. So far we've lost a veteran D-man, a very promising goalie and an (IMO still had potential) power forward, but the returns have been abysmal in every case. Nor do I think Benning has touched the core of our team's problems. I wanted to see Bieksa chosen new team captain; another year of the Sedins' leadership seems too much like staying on the same path. Looks like I won't be renewing my cable TV for the season ahead. Don't see the point. I had liked most of Benning's past moves but this off-season, I don't agree with almost anything he's doing. It's almost as bad (but of course not quite) like having Gillis back. And obviously fan sentiment means nothing to this organization, so some things remain the same there too... Yeah, let's trade all the players whom the fans love the most--that'll get us back into consecutive sellouts....NOT.

lol so because three of your four favourite players are gone, you will stop watching Canucks hockey. Goes to show how much of a hockey fan you are and shows that you are truly, a fairweather fan. It's not about keeping the players whom the fans love the most. It's about winning the god damn fricken Stanley Cup. At the end of the day, if those players won't help us win the Cup, then there's no point in keeping them regardless of how much fans love them.

You're basically telling me that you rather prefer to keep the players you love rather than winning the Stanley Cup. Alrighty then. You can go join another team and like their players because we rather have fans who will stick with the team through thick and thin than having guys like you getting all pissy because their favourite players are gone.

Sure, not every trade is about getting younger, and as a team we should be getting younger on the whole right?

Lets look at our forward group still:

Sedin - Sedin - Vbrata

Higgins - Bonino - Burrows

Dorsett - Horvat - Hansen

Prust - ? - Vey

Where is the opportunity for youth in that lineup? I can tell you for a fact that Dorsett and Prust are locks for bottom-6 winger positions, or Benning would look like a fool signing/trading for them.

Vbrata and the twins are still our best players so aren't moving from that top line.

Higgins and Burrows are still good for around 15 goals, and while their minutes MAY be reduced if the kids play well, I don't see either of them becoming a healthy scratch.

That really leaves 3 or 4 roster spots where kids can fully compete for a position, and realistically only Baertschi is good enough to knock a veteran off some ice-time.

Good insight. fresh thought. Can't believe you're the only person that can see this! :rolleyes:

Archived