The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jim Benning on TSN1040 @1:30 today

Outsiders

Honestly, if I'm Benning, I'm rolling right along. Let's assume (for 1/2 of CDCs bright minded) that he has a plan in place...

Sedin Sedin Burrows/Vrbata

Baertschi Horvat Vrbata/Burrows

Higgins Bonino Hansen

Prust/Kenins Vey/Cassels Dorsett

Virtanen

Wow what a terrible front 15? Come on. That's a solid enough top 15 to be dangerous.

Edler - Tanev

Hamhuis - Sbisa

Weber - Bartkowski

Corrado - Clendenning

Bottom 4 for cheap and/or on cheap contracts... Clearly his vision is to let them all fight for a spot and have depth in case of injury... Makes sense to me.

Lol at people wanting Bennings head. Seriously.

Honestly, if I'm Benning, I'm rolling right along. Let's assume (for 1/2 of CDCs bright minded) that he has a plan in place...

Higgins Bonino Hansen

Virtanen

Wow what a terrible front 15? Come on. That's a solid enough top 15 to be dangerous.

Edler - Tanev

Hamhuis - Sbisa

Weber - Bartkowski

Corrado - Clendenning

Bottom 4 for cheap and/or on cheap contracts... Clearly his vision is to let them all fight for a spot and have depth in case of injury... Makes sense to me.

THANKYOU!!1!

If Clendening and Corrado cant make the jump we still got Weber and Bartkowski till the offseason, if both Corrado and Clendening can make it that means we can trade Hamhuis unless we want to keep him for a cup run and if thats the case then we would have a stacked defense with Edler, Tanev, Hamhuise, Sbisa and the developed Clendening and Corrado with Bartkowski and Weber on the injury flanks.

If we aren't in a playoff situation by the time deadline rolls around we can trade Hamhuis, Vrbata, Prust, + for real good value probably could end up with 3 1sts and some 2nds lol

Right, try to spin it anyway you want. We basically got a 3rd rounder for Juice, and gave away a 5th rounder and took more cap for an old grinder in Prust?

I agree the time for change is 2016, which is when we will resign all of these over the hill grinders to extensions and watch this sorry franchise go cupless for another 40 years. Way to go Aquilini, Linden and Benning

Haha, we got a 3rd rounder for Bieksa because the second is from Anaheim but Eddie Lack omg no thats a 3rd rounder even though it was 66th overall which no-one will co-relate that to a low second rounder.

a 2nd rounder is a 2nd rounder specifically one that hasn't been dictated by the standings as of yet.

Eddie Lack was traded for a 3rd rounder but JB knew the player he wanted within the 2nd/3rd round area and he got him regardless so w/e in the end if the Canucks got a mid 2nd round pick and picked the same player would be happier ?

Higgins Bonino Hansen

Virtanen

Edler - Tanev

Hamhuis - Sbisa

Weber - Bartkowski

Corrado - Clendenning

Thanks for your post, I think you over value that top 15 forward group as of right now but as JB said all of these other teams who "got better" will have to prove that as the same amount that we have to prove that we "got worse".

The future of the canucks in the next 2-3 years will be determined on how well our young guys are able to make a horvat-like jump and continue to show improvement.

Haha, we got a 3rd rounder for Bieksa because the second is from Anaheim but Eddie Lack omg no thats a 3rd rounder even though it was 66th overall which no-one will co-relate that to a low second rounder.

a 2nd rounder is a 2nd rounder specifically one that hasn't been dictated by the standings as of yet.

Eddie Lack was traded for a 3rd rounder but JB knew the player he wanted within the 2nd/3rd round area and he got him regardless so w/e in the end if the Canucks got a mid 2nd round pick and picked the same player would be happier ?

Thanks for your post, I think you over value that top 15 forward group as of right now but as JB said all of these other teams who "got better" will have to prove that as the same amount that we have to prove that we "got worse".

The future of the canucks in the next 2-3 years will be determined on how well our young guys are able to make a horvat-like jump and continue to show improvement.

Yes, its about 2-3 yrs from now to hope they have a good enough team to be legit contender. They may even make playoffs again next yr, but won't go far. That's ok with me as long they have a sound plan.

Benning joined the Bruins organisation in the summer of 2006. That was the season the Bruins traded Thornton. I'm not a bit Joe fan, but Thornton killed it in SJ scoring 114 points the next season alongside Cheecho who, correct me if I'm wrong, won the scoring title. Thornton was traded after 23 games and the Bruins finished 3rd last in the East that season. They got scraps in return for him - Primeau (Wayne), Stuart, and Sturm but more importantly they finished the season with the 5th overall pick. Thornton was a valuable player and in no way am I comparing Kass to Thornton; however, Boston ended up okay after that trade. In fact despite trading away Thornton for less than his worth they ended up better than okay. They drafted Kessel and the rest is history (if you're unfamiliar what the Bruins got in return for Kessel than I recommend you google it).

The point I'm trying to make is that maybe Benning learned something from that experience. You don't always have to get fair value for a player - whether it's a start player like Thornton or players like Lack, Bieksa, Kassian, for it to work to your advantage in the end. Not to mention the Ducks and Montreal will be more than happy to discuss trades with JB now.

Benning joined the Bruins organisation in the summer of 2006. That was the season the Bruins traded Thornton. I'm not a bit Joe fan, but Thornton killed it in SJ scoring 114 points the next season alongside Cheecho who, correct me if I'm wrong, won the scoring title. Thornton was traded after 23 games and the Bruins finished 3rd last in the East that season. They got scraps in return for him - Primeau (Wayne), Stuart, and Sturm but more importantly they finished the season with the 5th overall pick. Thornton was a valuable player and in no way am I comparing Kass to Thornton; however, Boston ended up okay after that trade. In fact despite trading away Thornton for less than his worth they ended up better than okay. They drafted Kessel and the rest is history (if you're unfamiliar what the Bruins got in return for Kessel than I recommend you google it).

The point I'm trying to make is that maybe Benning learned something from that experience. You don't always have to get fair value for a player - whether it's a start player like Thornton or players like Lack, Bieksa, Kassian, for it to work to your advantage in the end. Not to mention the Ducks and Montreal will be more than happy to discuss trades with JB now.

Didn't they get Seguin and Hamilton for the two firsts that they got from Kessel ? Funny how they both are elsewhere now.

Terrible...

Our GM makes a trade and then talks about it via the media and all of a sudden that's a bad thing ?

I usually like your posts as they are usually decent to good posts.

Not sure what's gotten into DeNiro of late, he's not himself and has joined in with the Nancies.

We're allowed to be critical of OUR team and if ya don't like it. Find the ignore button

fair enough.

Just rather tired that any and i do mean ANY criticism of our team and the moves made by management is met with insults and derision

It's not about criticism, it's about people panicking and flying off the handle in a Chicken Little frenzy anytime something goes down they don't like. It's like Armageddon has hit and the team should fold because the situation is hopeless. Look at the Kassian trade thread -- I finally had to get out of there after the first 20 pages because it was just one big cesspool of urine and tears. Being reasoned and critical is one thing, but the incessant whining reaches obsessive paranoia.

People simply cannot see past their noses. I find it annoying but maybe I need to be like aqua and just laugh at it. Maybe because being part of this community means guilt by association, and basically impossible to defend when people constantly soil their panties and sound like they need an intervention or a 911 call... or maybe just their blankey and teddy and to take a nap.

Not sure what's gotten into DeNiro of late, he's not himself and has joined in with the Nancies.

It's not about criticism, it's about people panicking and flying off the handle in a Chicken Little frenzy anytime something goes down they don't like. It's like Armageddon has hit and the team should fold because the situation is hopeless. Look at the Kassian trade thread -- I finally had to get out of there after the first 20 pages because it was just one big cesspool of urine and tears. Being reasoned and critical is one thing, but the incessant whining reaches obsessive paranoia.

People simply cannot see past their noses. I find it annoying but maybe I need to be like aqua and just laugh at it. Maybe because being part of this community means guilt by association, and basically impossible to defend when people constantly soil their panties and sound like they need an intervention or a 911 call... or maybe just their blankey and teddy and to take a nap.

I agree, people seem to be sour that we traded a young player to add an old player yet are neglecting that we traded Bieksa for an a pick.

as Trevor Linden said, "Every move can't be about getting younger"

about 1:48 mark here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s99MkkFh0G0

He seems real high on virtanen. Let's say virtanen blows everyone away at training camp and pre season and looks poised for a run at the Calder trophy....

Better yet.. let's say Shinkaruk comes ready to play like he has looked every pre season since drafted. ..

Sedin Sedin Burrows

Baertschi Horvat Vrbata

Shinkaruk Bonino Virtanen

Prust Vey Dorsett

Kenins

Edler Tanev

Hamhuis Weber

Sbisa Corrado

Bartkowski Clendenning

Miller

Markstrom

Lack out Bieksa out Kassian out Higgins out Hansen out Richardson out... lots of cap space and picks from the necessary trades....

Not too farfetched

don't anyone get it....

Benning is just sending the message to the veterans that its time to waive your no trade clause and get off the titanic.

We're gonna get lots of draft picks and prospect at the next trade deadline....Higgins, Hansen, Hamhuis, Edler, Burrows, heck even the Sedins and maybe even Vrbata and Miller.

We might finish last or dead last the next year or two but hey by then we will have a full crop of young players and plenty of money to sign the big guns at free agency.

Not a bad plan when you have to deal with so many no movement clauses.

Our farm team did just compete for the Calder cup, No? and thats without prospects like Cassels playing.

Future is looking bright, Go Canucks Go!

Prust is going to help our guys learn to play the right way, Kass was not going to do that. We need someone who is a little more efficient at gettig the puck out of our Zone, Kassian had trouble along the wall.

Damn right.

We are like trying to get younger and like faster so like we traded Kassian who is like 25 for like a 31 year old and we threw a 5th rounder for the hell of it.

But like, Kass couldn't get his act together, & was like younger, but not better, but like waaaaaay more like all over the place? Plus now a day to day back that, like, totally, like took way more than like, a couple weeks, but like, MONTHS, plus like he was still kinda pretty not like good ANYway, so like yeah...

Plus good luck getting Kass to perform in, like Montreal, cuz' like, they are well, like, known for like, rarely scoring, like ever, since like Carey Price is like, like, like....I dunno know, basically how the like, Canadians plan on winning, for like, a long time? You no score a goal, you no win. Carey Price, 4 time 2015 NHL Awards, out.

Peace...( is that how the kids do it these dayzzz?)

We are like trying to get younger and like faster so like we traded Kassian who is like 25 for like a 31 year old and we threw a 5th rounder for the hell of it.

canucks traded bieksa for a 2nd round pick... there's your "getting younger"

again.... not every trade will be for young players, JB found a character guy that he thought we needed to protect and raise the young guys around.

Or did you want to ice an AHL team for the next 10 years ? If so just go cheer for edmonton and get off these boards.

Not all trades are going to be for young players. Linden said that yesterday.

We needed a player to fill that physical role while protecting our young players. That's what we are getting in Prust.

Dorsett can't be the only guy that sticks up for teammates.

12:10 lol

Archived