The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jim Benning on TSN1040 @1:30 today

Outsiders

It was fair value for Kassian if you remove potential from his value , But the Canucks are a team trying retool with youth and potential so this deal makes little sense especially considering that reality is we're going to be a bottom dweller team next season .

I would have personally rather have roll the dice on Kassians potential and seen what came out of his new dedication to getting into better shape for the season then a 31 yr old grinder that is basically another effective but expensive 4th liner ( Dorsett )

It's funny how people who claim to know about hockey are actually suggesting building a competitive team through FREE AGENCY

:picard::picard:

Adding one guy in free agency is a good way for filling holes: I'm not against signing Lucic if possible

Fans bashed this organization for constantly not giving young guys opportunity, well at least this GM has stuck to it and is opening opportunity. Now its up to the young guys to hold up their end of the bargain and show they belong in the show. Kassian had more than enough opportunities. How many coaches has he had and couldn't gain any of their trust.

I do admit though Benning seems to favour his own picks which is understandable. Hardly ever hear him mention Shinkaruk, Jensen etc. unless asked...instead its always McCann, Virtanen, Demko.

He favours players he brought in as well wayyy over others. Examples?

Dorsett, Sbisa, Miller, Vey... etc

Dorsett was injured

This is why he said 'Thank You' when Benning traded for Prust.

Because of the overwhelming lack of toughness on the team, and this was before they traded Bieksa, it was ALL going to be on Dorsett. Kassian wasn't ever going to be that guy for us. Sure, the league is trending away from fighting and winners have toughness, not the fighting kind, but the go to the net and score kind, but for us fighting and mucking it up in between whistles is still important. It's part of the show.

People expecting miracles.

I don't know what people expect Benning to do.

- He takes a 3 goalie logjam and turns it into 2 goalies before controversy is mentioned.

People can say what they want about the return but you're not taking the trade calls or doing the negotiations. You got to pull the trade at some point and canucks got the prospect that they wanted.

- Traded Bieksa for a decent return, people now all of a sudden crying about it... Seems like the same people who are upset are the ones who want to trade Burrows / Higgins and essentially every other veteran at once... lol

- adds roster depth from UFA and doesn't go insane on free agency

- Trades Kassian, I'm not a fan of the trade but the Canuck organization are the ones who have to manage the player on and off the ice and to that extent I have to imagine that they did their due diligence and simply had enough.

I agree that Benning hasn't been perfect but I also don't think he's "ruining" the team. There is no quick fix that is going to save this team until young players like Horvat / Virtanen / Bärtshi / McCann / Corrado / Clendenning etc, are able to contribute to the lineup on a consistent basis. Sure top 3-5 overall picks help but they aren't necessarily the only future franchise/great players.

In the end, if you want this team to rebuild and retool then what was done today did not benefit our chances to make the post season and therefore can you really be upset ? In my opinion as long as we are bringing up our kids like Bärtshi / Horvat alongside a good competitive character group then I don't care where we are standings in the next couple of years.

no you didn't just proved your level of maturity which is no more than a little kid congrats now let the grown ups have a conversation that doesn't require inappropriate comments

I did, all you had to say was Prust is the better player. How so? because he has so called "leadership"? That' what ppl say when they trade younger better players plus a draft pick for 4th line plugs with bigger contracts and ufa status next year for a player who's only skill is punching ppl. but oh wait he scored 4 goals last year so some will argue he brings secondary scoring too. Face it this was a garbage trade and there is no defending it. Kass scores 20 goals and 40 points next year in MTL quote me on it.

I did, all you had to say was Prust is the better player. How so? because he has so called "leadership"? That' what ppl say when they trade younger better players plus a draft pick for 4th line plugs with bigger contracts and ufa status next year for a player who's only skill is punching ppl. but oh wait he scored 4 goals last year so some will argue he brings secondary scoring too. Face it this was a garbage trade and there is no defending it. Kass scores 20 goals and 40 points next year in MTL quote me on it.

I'd say Prust is the better player if nothing else he will show up for 82 games in the season, play on the penalty kill and actually bring up our physical play.

There's more to the NHL than just points.

you mean Craig Simpson, who was analyzing this trade before the return was even announced.

Or Elliotte Friedman, who misreported the 5th round pick, probably because it was too unbelievable that the Canucks were adding the pick.

When I first heard that the deal was Kassian for Prust and a 5h rounder I did not like the deal but I thought that at least Benning is stockpiling picks. When I heard the pick was going the other way I could not believe it.

This "culture" or "character" argument is getting thin. Last year Dorsett was brought in as a "character guy" who supposedly helped Horvat. But Horvat was a natural leader and a great kid in Junior, long before meeting Dorsett. And this "culture" thing apparently did not work with Kassian, who sat beside Dorsett in the dressing room.

So the Canucks will have a lot character next year. They just won't score much.

I admit that I do not really mind the fact that the Canucks will struggle next year. We need a high draft pick and we need to trade assets at the deadline to acquire more picks. We now have Vrby, Hammer, Prust, Weber, Vey, and Bartkowski on expiring contracts.HIggins and Burrows will have one year left. The Canucks could acquire several picks, including maybe first rounders for Hammer and Vrby at the deadline.

I hope that is the secret plan. Because if Benning really believes that picking up Prust on a one-year deal at 2.5 million actually helps the team, then I am really worried.

There is no way to sit there and justify this trade. This is not like the Lack trade where he got what he is worth Kassian and a 5th for Prust makes absolutely no sense. We aren't clearing up cap space in fact we take on cap space, We aren't getting a young player in fact we are getting a veteran 4th line player, we aren't building for the future we gave up picks for an old 4th line player. No matter how you look at this trade its just stupid for Vancouver.

Do not sit there and tell me that out of the 29 other teams in the league that Prust was all we could get for Kassian not only Kassian but a draft pick we had to throw in too. I would be far more understanding of this trade if we just got some picks for Kassian or some questionable prospect and a mid pick you know something that says we are building for the future. Instead we go out an acquire a player like we're making a run for the cup.

This management, ownership and the players are in complete denial to the fact this this team cannot compete against the juggernauts in the west.

I think this sets up Grenier making the team IMO.

WHL might be better for Virtanen but he should get his 9 games to see where he is at because you never know.

Grenier has a good shot alright, but Benning does continue to mention Jake and I don't know if they'd get both on this year.

Archived