The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jim Benning on TSN1040 @1:30 today

Outsiders

Probably still just take the pick. Canucks have cheaper guys like Gernier and Kenins, Virtanen,Guance etc who can play on the 4th line.

Have to remember Prust is a little loose and does some dumb stuff at times refs already hate Canucks because of Burrows now after Prust ripped Watson publicly the team will have a target on their back still.

fair enough

When we GET a 5th rounder it means "jack sh-t" but apparently when we part with one it is the end of the world. Get real.

it's more about the principle that JB couldn't even fetch a 4th line plug for kassian. He had to the in a pick as well.

Kassian for prust is a kick in the bag

Kassian plus a 5th is just insulting.

Nux had two lines. Scored pretty well balanced, except from the D.

Zack was not the answer.

That's not the point. His trades have been a joke in return. I'm glad he moved zack lack and juice but Not once has anyone said "wow, great deal by the Vancouver Canucks". U want a GM that has the foresight to be creative in maximizing returns. He hasn't signed great contracts , and hasn't made one above average move aside from Horvat and Vrbata.

There is no way to sit there and justify this trade. This is not like the Lack trade where he got what he is worth Kassian and a 5th for Prust makes absolutely no sense. We aren't clearing up cap space in fact we take on cap space, We aren't getting a young player in fact we are getting a veteran 4th line player, we aren't building for the future we gave up picks for an old 4th line player. No matter how you look at this trade its just stupid for Vancouver.

Do not sit there and tell me that out of the 29 other teams in the league that Prust was all we could get for Kassian not only Kassian but a draft pick we had to throw in too. I would be far more understanding of this trade if we just got some picks for Kassian or some questionable prospect and a mid pick you know something that says we are building for the future. Instead we go out an acquire a player like we're making a run for the cup.

This management, ownership and the players are in complete denial to the fact this this team cannot compete against the juggernauts in the west.

So are you telling us JB is trying to "give" players away. It seems to me you are being silly all over these boards and none of it has any substance or reason.

Other GM's are not blind and has it occurred to you Benneng might actually want Prust because he fits in with his plans?

Btw, in case nobody noticed -- remember last year how they kept saying "Our goal is to make the playoffs"? It appears to have been changed to "Our goal is to compete for a playoff spot...and I think we can do that."

Whether intentional or not, that speaks to lowered expectations. This year and next year is going to see a lot of change and a lot of young players coming in, so the results are really up in the air which way they go.

it's more about the principle that JB couldn't even fetch a 4th line plug for kassian. He had to the in a pick as well.

Kassian for prust is a kick in the bag

Kassian plus a 5th is just insulting.

You should work on not being so easily insulted. I don't like the trade either, but I also understand that Benning likely has access to a TON of information that I do not have. Prust is also no 'plug'. He kills penalties, sticks up for teamates (and will relieve some pressure on Dorsett), and statistically he had a decent year for a fourth line guy.

That's not the point. His trades have been a joke in return. I'm glad he moved zack lack and juice but Not once has anyone said "wow, great deal by the Vancouver Canucks". U want a GM that has the foresight to be creative in maximizing returns. He hasn't signed great contracts , and hasn't made one above average move aside from Horvat and Vrbata.

Are you serious. Not one of these guys has stepped on the ice for us yet and you are already calling it. Where did you get your crystal ball from?

Lack, Bieksa and Kassian were three of my four favourite players on the team, and now I'm starting to get severely p****d off. So far we've lost a veteran D-man, a very promising goalie and an (IMO still had potential) power forward, but the returns have been abysmal in every case. Nor do I think Benning has touched the core of our team's problems. I wanted to see Bieksa chosen new team captain; another year of the Sedins' leadership seems too much like staying on the same path. Looks like I won't be renewing my cable TV for the season ahead. Don't see the point. I had liked most of Benning's past moves but this off-season, I don't agree with almost anything he's doing. It's almost as bad (but of course not quite) like having Gillis back. And obviously fan sentiment means nothing to this organization, so some things remain the same there too... Yeah, let's trade all the players whom the fans love the most--that'll get us back into consecutive sellouts....NOT.

Every time he makes a move he goes on the radio for damage control. Not a good sign.

So a team that's trying to get younger and has limited cap space, trades one of their young players for a 31 year old with a bigger cap hit?

I'm really starting to think that Benning has no real direction for this team.

Are you serious. Not one of these guys has stepped on the ice for us yet and you are already calling it. Where did you get your crystal ball from?

Lol. Not sure why I would need one to understand the value of a 30 year old bottom six player as being less then what we spent.

They are going to get more out of Horvat. Kassian was really irrelevant last year. Lose a guy with a nagging back injury and a reputation for being a douche. Traded Bieksa (somewhat of a clown, getting old and a ntc), moved Lack (clowny, over rated possibly) and now you have changed the culture of the team.

They have a road map and an end game. This is the weakest free agent pool I can remember, let see what happens next year at the deadline, draft and free agency.

Lack, Bieksa and Kassian were three of my four favourite players on the team, and now I'm starting to get severely p****d off... Yeah, let's trade all the players whom the fans love the most--that'll get us back into consecutive sellouts....NOT.

Well then it's time for you to decide what you want -- a group of aging favourites, or a rebuilt and refreshed team that has a future and more potential to be competitive and win? It's pretty clear by now that the former is not going to get you that result.

Maybe the Canucks should get rid of most of the current players and bring back Smyl, Gradin, Gino, and Snepsts?

Every time he makes a move he goes on the radio for damage control. Not a good sign.

So a team that's trying to get younger and has limited cap space, trades one of their young players for a 31 year old with a bigger cap hit?

draft picks for bieksa and lack, signed a younger bartowski, bachman, fedun.

Kassian was likely more about injury, attitude and role.

Every Canucks GM in recent has done a radio interview after an NHL level trade. That means nothing.

Prust is a stop gap. Same with bartkowski.

This team is going through a transitional phase of shedding its old core while starting a new one.

Horvat was the beginning.

This year is irrelevant, and Prust might be let go next year. But you can' have Kassian taking up a top-6 role when you want kids coming up.

Prust is a role player and knows it. I think he will surprise us like Richardson did a few years ago.

I think the direction is obvious. He said he no plans to extend Prust who's contract expires this year. Prust is the tipe of player that teams that are heading into the play offs will be looking for at the trade dead line. Every signing today was a one year deal.

Next year is a deep draft year and has one of the best UFA lists that I have seen in a long time.

Archived