The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jim Benning on TSN1040 @1:30 today

Outsiders

The more I think about it the less bothered I am about the trade. Kassian was my favorite player but it's clear that management wanted him gone, nothing we could do about that.

Benning was asked if Kassian brings toughness. Benning's response: "He brings size"

Willie said that players should focus on hockey and not get into the other stuff. Kass followed that and in turn never took the multiple roughing and 10 minute misconducts he took under Torts. Gets blasted for it by Benning though. He spent his first full season with the Canucks fighting top powerforwards in Clowe and Stewart and goons like Eager and Jackman.

Spent the season with torts intimidating the opposition... I'll always remember when JT Brown highsticked him... Kassian skated the same direction as him and three lightning players tried to shield him away from Brown even though he just wanted to talk to the ref.

Even this season Chara went after him and he punched him in the face.

Seemed like Benning tried to mold him into a different type of player... Like Dorsett.

Prust is a stop gap. Same with bartkowski.

This team is going through a transitional phase of shedding its old core while starting a new one.

Horvat was the beginning.

Kassian was part of the old core?

Seems to me he was a 25 year old primed to have a bounce back season in a contract year.

This team doesn't have enough depth to be casting off young players for more old fourth line players.

Seems to me he was a 25 year old primed to have a bounce back season in a contract year.

This team doesn't have enough depth to be casting off young players for more old fourth line players.

People have been saying that since he arrived.

He had a ton of chances here and had 3 coaches. in contrast, Horvat made the most of what he got in his first season.

Btw, in case nobody noticed -- remember last year how they kept saying "Our goal is to make the playoffs"? It appears to have been changed to "Our goal is to compete for a playoff spot...and I think we can do that."

Whether intentional or not, that speaks to lowered expectations. This year and next year is going to see a lot of change and a lot of young players coming in, so the results are really up in the air which way they go.

I agree, I think JB and TL have been impressed by the Comets and seem anxious to accelerate things to the next stage. Exciting times.

Kassian was not fitting the their plans moving forward. They gave him a chance last season and he had chances before that with the previous regime.

Our has enough depth to let Kassian go. Who has been plagued with Back problems early in his career and has been inconsistent his entire career.

With Kassian's value so pathetically low I don't see why you even bother trading him let him get some value who knows maybe he starts off the year on a tear and if you don't want him then trade him if he has another poor year o wow we lost out on Prust and kept our 5th..

There is not justification for this trade. In fact the only reason for him being traded for peanuts I would accept is if the sedins went to TL and said get rid of Kassian.

Kassian was not fitting the their plans moving forward. They gave him a chance last season and he had chances before that with the previous regime.

Our has enough depth to let Kassian go. Who has been plagued with Back problems early in his career and has been inconsistent his entire career.

We have enough depth are you &^@#ing kidding? We have next to no depth.

Every time he makes a move he goes on the radio for damage control. Not a good sign.

So a team that's trying to get younger and has limited cap space, trades one of their young players for a 31 year old with a bigger cap hit?

I'm really starting to think that Benning has no real direction for this team.

I'm sure it looks that way. Some people argue the whole working to get best value versus sell low. Where we seem to have sold low on Bieksa, Kassian & also Garrison last year. Poor asset management did not appear to be part of the plan?

Problem is sometimes you give guys a chance and they depreciate.

It does also appear to be part of a different plan, or way of thinking anyway. And part of that reality is they made judgement calls now that Kassian in particular but also Bieksa as being guys that were losing out in a competitive environment. They are sticking with the guys that they believe have performed the best & are taking what they can get for the guys who have lost out.

An example Horvat has played better and has earned a spot. Same with Kenins last year...

I wish they had crystal ball and could have traded Kassian when his value was higher?

I've got to disagree with you on this. Some of these kids have been playing pretty well in Utica, and should be given the opportunity. Grenier, Gaunce, Virtanen,I know small sample, and Shinkaruk. They're faster, and I think get it more than Kassian ever will. He's had 3 NHL coaches try to get to him, time's up.

Yup. And apparently a pain in the a$$ to deal with. 2012 was a while ago...

Btw, in case nobody noticed -- remember last year how they kept saying "Our goal is to make the playoffs"? It appears to have been changed to "Our goal is to compete for a playoff spot...and I think we can do that."

Whether intentional or not, that speaks to lowered expectations. This year and next year is going to see a lot of change and a lot of young players coming in, so the results are really up in the air which way they go.

There was also discussion about expiring contracts & a large amount of cap space. Maybe this is the year where we are just not going to do as well. Trade off even a few more expiring contracts. Get a higher selection because we slip. And then have a large amount of cap to help us get better again as we accumulate young assets.

RWs

Burrows

Vrbata

Hansen

Dorsett

Vey(also C)

Grenier

Virtanen?

IMO I think that they are hoping one of Virtanen or Grenier can push for a spot.

I see Vrbata and some plugs there are no other top 6 forwards on that list. Virtanen isn't going to step him and start lighting it up. This is not depth its just an abundance of useless 3rd liners.

I see Vrbata and some plugs there are no other top 6 forwards on that list. Virtanen isn't going to step him and start lighting it up. This is not depth its just an abundance of useless 3rd liners.

Burrows plays like a top 6 forward with the Sedins

Wouldn't be any different with Kassian. We would just have one extra and in your own words "useless" 3rd liner.

Burrows plays like a top 6 forward with the Sedins

When he was younger yes not really anymore. Lucic is the perfect fit for the Sedins hopefully he doesn't resign with LA and he comes here in FA.

Would be nice, yeah.

Burrows can still be a top 6 guy is all im sayin

Wouldn't be any different with Kassian. We would just have one extra and in your own words "useless" 3rd liner.

No we would have a power forward with potential who could potentially break out. Last year his back gave out on him this year he could have had a break out year and if the management has problems with his off ice $&!# then you can trade him when he actually has value. There was no reason to give Kassian away at all.

No we would have a power forward with potential who could potentially break out. Last year his back gave out on him this year he could have had a break out year and if the management has problems with his off ice crap then you can trade him when he actually has value. There was no reason to give Kassian away at all.

More likely this year he will continue to suffer from bad back issues. There were many reasons to give Kassian away, come on ... take off the glasses my friend

Archived