The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Laurence Gilman, Lorne Henning, Eric Crawford FIRED

Scorpyqc

Vancouver, BC – Vancouver Canucks President of Hockey Operations, Trevor Linden announced today that the club has relieved Vice President, Hockey Operations and Assistant General Manager, Laurence Gilman, Assistant General Manager, Lorne Henning and Director, Player Personnel, Eric Crawford of their duties.

“On behalf of our entire organization I would like to sincerely thank Laurence, Lorne and Eric for their commitment and dedication to the Vancouver Canucks,” said Trevor Linden. “They have been important members of our staff for a long time and made significant contributions to the success of this team. Further still, they are great people and respected members of the hockey community.”

“We have made some difficult decisions to our roster and staff recently after a thorough review of the team,” continued Linden. “These are not easy decisions, nor were they taken lightly. But they’re important as we transition this team and build for the future.”

http://canucks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=773651

I'm guessing Benning didn't like Gilman using things like logic, analytics and fancy numbers to measure player performance. Benning prefers intangibles, like how good a player is in a scrum, or whether the play has enough confidence to date a pretty girl as opposed to an ugly girl.

Well that was random. I personally don't care except for Gilman. He's been a financial mastermind for us having a great understanding of the team cap structure all his years. Just afraid JB will go complete bananas with contracts as he doesn't seem to have a grasp of them. Like that Vey and Bartkowski signing, that term and money...it's actually Gilman secretly hinting to us he was still here :P

...No biggie though. Wonder who the team gets to fill their shoes. Internal guys or from the outside :huh:

I wonder what hand Gilman had in the Sbisa and Dorsett signings. I get the feeling he wasn't on board with these signings and JB said "See ya".

Here's a fun game. Given what we know about UFA signings yesterday, how much do you think Sbisa would have received on the open market as a UFA? I'm guessing half of what he signed for here and likely less term too.

Archived