The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Laurence Gilman, Lorne Henning, Eric Crawford FIRED

Scorpyqc

Are you guys seriously thinking that they were let go because of disagreements over signing so trades? Do you think that is the way all stuff happen in the business world? It might have been chemistry or the aforementioned like an argument, but I highly doubt that.

This still, not to this date, nor will it ever be, or has it ever been or planned to be or discussed or either presumed or contemplated & has not been approved by the league to be an EA Sports game. This is real life with real people, real emotions, desires, plans and a business involving lots of dollars and therefore decisions are not made because i.e. someone disagreed about a draft pick or role on the team. The stakes are high and money needs to be made. Stuff need to be done to improve there. These guys are professionals at what they do and adults even. Keep that in mind.

I am however surprised they didn't go last summer or right after the season. At that time we would have gotten the new faces in on both the draft and the start of the FA signing period. Other than that it seems like business as usual.

This doesn't seem like it was something that was pre-planned.

Something must have happened for two Assistant GM's and Director of Player Personnel to be fired all at the same time.

As others have mentioned, was it disagreements on whom to draft?

Was it disagreements on whom to trade or what to accept back in a trade.

Was is because someone effed up the Bieksa to San Jose deal, costing them a higher second round pick?

The cryptkeeper did mention in his article this morning that not everyone in the organization was onside with the Kassian trade.

I guess it is possible that their positions simply became redundant and that Weisbrod took over their duties. But that seems too much a convenient answer for this team.

Either way, turmoil in the front office, either perceived or real, is never a good thing.

Why does anyone care that some executive types were let go?

I work for a large sized company and most management seats are revolving doors. People come in, work a few years and are replaced or they move along first. This is a fairly common business practice. I was shocked when Benning and Linden came in and some of these guys actually survived beyond a week. They were likely given a chance but it's clear these 3 were not on board.

I reiterate, why does the common fan care who the assistant to anyone even is in the Canucks organization? We don't even know what their input is or what they are really doing anyways.

This doesn't seem like it was something that was pre-planned.

Something must have happened for two Assistant GM's and Director of Player Personnel to be fired all at the same time.

As others have mentioned, was it disagreements on whom to draft?

Was it disagreements on whom to trade or what to accept back in a trade.

Was is because someone effed up the Bieksa to San Jose deal, costing them a higher second round pick?

The cryptkeeper did mention in his article this morning that not everyone in the organization was onside with the Kassian trade.

I guess it is possible that their positions simply became redundant and that Weisbrod took over their duties. But that seems too much a convenient answer for this team.

Either way, turmoil in the front office, either perceived or real, is never a good thing.

Definitely. Wondering if the dissenters are all gone now or if we will see more firings. Very interesting times in Vancouver right now, to say the least!

Are you guys seriously thinking that they were let go because of disagreements over signing so trades? Do you think that is the way all stuff happen in the business world? It might have been chemistry or the aforementioned like an argument, but I highly doubt that.

This still, not to this date, nor will it ever be, or has it ever been or planned to be or discussed or either presumed or contemplated & has not been approved by the league to be an EA Sports game. This is real life with real people, real emotions, desires, plans and a business involving lots of dollars and therefore decisions are not made because i.e. someone disagreed about a draft pick or role on the team. The stakes are high and money needs to be made. Stuff need to be done to improve there. These guys are professionals at what they do and adults even. Keep that in mind.

I am however surprised they didn't go last summer or right after the season. At that time we would have gotten the new faces in on both the draft and the start of the FA signing period. Other than that it seems like business as usual.

True, but the timing of it all is very curious.

Why does anyone care that some executive types were let go?

I work for a large sized company and most management seats are revolving doors. People come in, work a few years and are replaced or they move along first. This is a fairly common business practice. I was shocked when Benning and Linden came in and some of these guys actually survived beyond a week. They were likely given a chance but it's clear these 3 were not on board.

I reiterate, why does the common fan care who the assistant to anyone even is in the Canucks organization? We don't even know what their input is or what they are really doing anyways.

Typically because Vancouver Canucks fans are incredibly emotional about just about every move that happens with the team.

Love it or hate it, I don't see that changing any time soon ha

I wonder what hand Gilman had in the Sbisa and Dorsett signings. I get the feeling he wasn't on board with these signings and JB said "See ya".

Here's a fun game. Given what we know about UFA signings yesterday, how much do you think Sbisa would have received on the open market as a UFA? I'm guessing half of what he signed for here and likely less term too.

isn't that already done?....we can all guess....that doesn't translate into anything...

Whether you support MG's approach or Benning's, 100% support throughout the organization is required to achieve success. Benning's plan may or may not be the right one, only time will tell but, if some of management are not supportive of that direction, it will fail regardless.

If MG and his team had recognized the decline of this organization 3 years ago and begun making changes to address the aging core, such drastic changes in player and management personnel could have been done more gradually. As it is, Benning has inherited a dysfunctional organization with assets of little value to other teams AND many of whom carry NTCs in their contracts.

This is going to be ugly no matter how it is handled...fasten your seatbelts.

That is because it's also there for the team.

Too damn true.

They're talking about it on the radio right now. There was clearly discord amongst the management group over some of the decisions being made. Just goes to show that the fans who call others morons for disagree with the direction the team is going have no hill to stand on. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

Wow. Not sure about Gilman being fired. He'll get a head job if there's any opening somewhere probably.

What gives you that impression?

For all you know, he will be working at North Shore Audi in a few days selling cars.

T Linden confirming that it is not about individual performance. All about moving in a new direction and having less cooks in the kitchen.

But that's no fun, this is ADHcDc! We need controversy! Villains! Disagreements and scuttlebutts!

Not really......yesterday was the start of a new off season. Seem logical to me

Agreed. The timing is not suspect at all. It's probably the best time to let them go, other than immediately after Benning started.

I don't think there's any discord or drama, and this was probably planned for some time. They helped with the transition, and now they're gone.

Archived