The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Laurence Gilman, Lorne Henning, Eric Crawford FIRED

Scorpyqc

I wonder what hand Gilman had in the Sbisa and Dorsett signings

You can bet your ass he probably called those contracts crazy and told benning so. He had no voice with this new regime, so they fired him because he was making them look bad with his logic and sense!

Anyone else find it concerning they fire their head scout RIGHT after the draft? Not a consensus on Boeser?

Isn't Delorme the head scout?

Crawford was head of player development and they said that Kassian's failures off the ice were a big part of his being traded. I'm guessing the blame is falling on Crawford for this.

Henning and Gillman was Gillis's right hand mans. Under the Gillis Reigm, we witnessed the most dominat Canuck 6 years of all time.

The Gillis era was players that had hockey iq with emphasize to grit and skill.

The Benning Era was players that will be, Character with emphazie to size and skill

Totally different approach.

I also assume, Gillman and Henning might have been pushing for different players, and or not wanting certain player(s) gone (Kassian, probably wanting to go after Ehrhoff, Santorelli)

lets see how this blows up. It's not like Benning is not proned to errors. Lets see how his team performs in comparison to Gillis's.

a part of me wants to see the Canucks win the cup, Sedins, Hamhius.

a part of me also wants to see them struggle for the sake of a brighter future, (higher draft picks, rebuild with Chrycun, or Mathews) start a new core a new beginning.

Probably were challenging the direction that JB and crew are taking this team. It's rare for us to be parting with long-time assets and getting no immediate return

Best wishes to all of them. They seem like good hockey men.

Hope JB is right about what he's doing here

Just a reminder that all those Gilman contracts were "godly" because most of them had NTCs. The same NTCs that, when it comes time for a rebuild, hamper the value that you will get in return.

It'll be interesting to see who comes in. I'm sure Benning will have a capologist/contract negotiator too.

Henning and Gillman was Gillis's right hand mans. Under the Gillis Reigm, we witnessed the most dominat Canuck 6 years of all time.

The Gillis era was players that had hockey iq with emphasize to grit and skill.

The Benning Era was players that will be, Character with emphazie to size and skill

Totally different approach.

I also assume, Gillman and Henning might have been pushing for different players, and or not wanting certain player(s) gone (Kassian, probably wanting to go after Ehrhoff, Santorelli)

lets see how this blows up. It's not like Benning is not proned to errors. Lets see how his team performs in comparison to Gillis's.

Completely different.. apples to oranges.. I was a huge MG fan but come on! He inherited a good team and made them better. Gillis never had to rebuild. Benning has quite the daunting task ahead of him.

Some reasoning behind the chaos:

Gilman was a part of the old regime. Linden himself said that it was part of transitioning. Yes, Gilman was a hero, but he likely represented Gillis to both Benning and Linden (who wouldn't work here as long as GMMG was here). Who knows, maybe there was some issues going on behind-the-scenes.

Henning is probably the same deal.

With this team's ugly track record of prospects making it to the NHL and/or staying with the team, that's why Crawford had to be let go.

If Toronto does indeed sign Gilman, I wonder if we'll get a draft pick from it.

Couldn't have Gilman arguing against over payments and being in favour of analytics and sound processes.

This makes less than no sense. He was and still is an incredibly sound hockey mind and a genius with contracts.

But then hey, Benning will know better right? He will be able to figure out the worth of a player based on things like character, how much meat a player has vs the size of his potatoes. He will be able to sign them to contracts that are monetarily based on how loudly they crack their knuckles or how many PIMs they accumulated March 11th 2004

Yes, if you are missing this I am being incredibly sarcastic. Gilman was and still IS an absolutely brilliant cap manager and was an integral part of the reason vancouver was so balanced over the last decade on their pro roster. I do not understand this at all.

Obviously Benning wants to bring in his own people and leave his mark on the team. Unfortunately, my 2 year old daughter still leaves marks like that in her underwear so....

I guess time will tell won't it? If you don't expect much you won't be disappointed.

Gilman won't be unemployed long. I expect either Toronto or possibly Tampa as destinations for him.

That being said. If people are ok with Gilman going, but aren't questioning how and why Delorme still has a job...there's no helping you.

Between Benning and Delorme we've a LOT of questionable draft years and to see him still employed raises a ton of questions about where this team is heading.

Wow ... that's big internal shuffle and reorganization. They must have strongly disagreed with trades and drafting over these last couple of weeks.

Maybe old regime didn't like Lack trade, didn't like Kass trade, didn't like Bieska trade, didn't like making cap space for next year ... now we know, those who disagree with Benning and Linden ... bye bye.

Probably were challenging the direction that JB and crew are taking this team. It's rare for us to be parting with long-time assets and getting no immediate return

Best wishes to all of them. They seem like good hockey men.

Hope JB is right about what he's doing here

After this past week, gotta say my confidence in Benning has been shaken a bit.

I won't judge any of the moves right now, but in a few years I will.

Archived