The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

"We could've moved Ryan Miller. There were teams calling on Ryan Miller." - Jim Benning

Zuongo

Imagine the backlash if Markstrom turns out to be a bust. Which, I think is very likely.

Based on what? He was rushed into circulation in Florida, behind a horrible team at the time. I think that could be considered a wash.

His few starts here, he didn't look bad other than the first game if my memory serves. Coming in as a surprise back up out of nowhere is tough for anyone, especially a goaltender. Different defence, different systems, and a whole other level of competition.

His stats in the A this year were absolutely outstanding. Also a very key reason why Utica had such a great playoff run. There's no reason to think he can't translate his game to the NHL with proper guidance.

So Linden/Benning think that Lack is incapable of being a #1 guy, but refused to trade him to a team in West despite a better return.

So Linden/Benning are afraid that they might be burned by a backup goaltender?

Benning has this man crush on Miller. Let's hope his knee holds up.

So Linden/Benning think that Lack is incapable of being a #1 guy, but refused to trade him to a team in West despite a better return.

So Linden/Benning are afraid that they might be burned by a backup goaltender?

Benning has this man crush on Miller. Let's hope his knee holds up.

Where was this information posted? I find that hard to believe considering we had no issue trading Bieksa to Anaheim...

Based on what? He was rushed into circulation in Florida, behind a horrible team at the time. I think that could be considered a wash.

His few starts here, he didn't look bad other than the first game if my memory serves. Coming in as a surprise back up out of nowhere is tough for anyone, especially a goaltender. Different defence, different systems, and a whole other level of competition.

His stats in the A this year were absolutely outstanding. Also a very key reason why Utica had such a great playoff run. There's no reason to think he can't translate his game to the NHL with proper guidance.

Anything is possible. However success in the AHL doesn't automatically translate into the NHL. Some goalies are average AHL goaltenders and have success in the NHL (Hammond) .

It's an individual thing. So far, Markstrom has not done well in the NHL. Maybe that will change, but only if he gets enough starts.

Where was this information posted? I find that hard to believe considering we had no issue trading Bieksa to Anaheim...

Bieksa had a no trade....he wanted to go to California. Canucks couldn't just trade him anywhere.

Edmonton was among those interested in Eddie Lack, was reported at the draft.

Anything is possible. However success in the AHL doesn't automatically translate into the NHL. Some goalies are average AHL goaltenders and have success in the NHL (Hammond) .

It's an individual thing. So far, Markstrom has not done well in the NHL. Maybe that will change, but only if he gets enough starts.

Sure, but the odds are more in Markstroms favour to become a very good goaltender.

No reason to think he won't get starts behind Miller. I think that's the biggest thing people need to realize in this whole Lack vs Miller debate. Miller won 29 games last season. There was a few he outright won himself. He is a veteran who is capable of playing solidly behind piss poor defence and still give his team a chance to win, while handling a large workload if necessary. There was a few horrible games by him to be sure, but find me a goaltender who doesn't have those kind of nights.

Lack showed last season he gets worn out after an extended workload. Nothing against him at all, I loved his personality as much as the next fan, but anyone saying going with Lack/Markstrom and expecting us to compete in the same way as Miller/Markstrom IMO is out of their minds.

Bieksa had a no trade....he wanted to go to California. Canucks couldn't just trade him anywhere.

Edmonton was among those interested in Eddie Lack, was reported at the draft.

Fair enough, but I'm sure Bieksa wanted to go more to a contender, not necessarily to California, unless this was posted somewhere and I missed it as well?

Quite possibly Edmontons offer was worse than Carolinas?

As Benning said, Lack was traded for to be a backup. He was NOT traded for to be a starter. His role is to be a backup, who has enough talent to push Cam Ward to his full level, and maybe, MAYBE Lack will outplay him and earn the starting job. But again, he was traded for to be a backup. I understand he's such a lovable guy, but people are acting like Eddie Lack is Cory Schneider or something. He's a hard worker, with a great and lovable personality, but as of right now, the whole league sees him as a backup. Miller is a bonifide starter, and perrenial all star. He even has the talent to be an all star next season.

Plus, Ryan Miller is the guy you want teaching Jacob Markstrom the ropes of the NHL and how to be succesful. Not Eddie Lack. I love the guy, but people let the fact that he was a good guy cloud their judgement and give him more value than he has

+1. Exactly right.

Fair enough, but I'm sure Bieksa wanted to go more to a contender, not necessarily to California, unless this was posted somewhere and I missed it as well?

Quite possibly Edmontons offer was worse than Carolinas?

Well, Bieksa's first choice was San Jose, and I don't think anyone considers them contenders.

Edmonton gave up 3 picks for Cam Talbot, including a 2nd round pick AND 3rd round pick. I have no doubt Lack would have been worth a similar value as they are a similar age, experience and both helped their teams into the playoffs when the starters were injured.

I don't agree with you about Markstrom, by the way. I still think Lack was traded to avoid a goaltending controversy. Lack has played well enough to command more starts next season, and Benning, in his interest to coddle his buddy Ryan Miller decided to go with Markstrom instead, who has not been as good in the NHL and is less likely to take starts from Miller.

It is the extreme exception to the rule to have average AHL goaliea turn out to be good NHL goalies. And Hammond is not an example of this. Hammond is an example of how much random variation factors into goaltending in small sample sizes (ie he was very lucky). Fortunately for us the opposite could be said of Markstrom small NHL sample size (he has been unlucky).

Well, Bieksa's first choice was San Jose, and I don't think anyone considers them contenders.

Edmonton gave up 3 picks for Cam Talbot, including a 2nd round pick AND 3rd round pick. I have no doubt Lack would have been worth a similar value as they are a similar age, experience and both helped their teams into the playoffs when the starters were injured.

I don't agree with you about Markstrom, by the way. I still think Lack was traded to avoid a goaltending controversy. Lack has played well enough to command more starts next season, and Benning, in his interest to coddle his buddy Ryan Miller decided to go with Markstrom instead, who has not been as good in the NHL and is less likely to take starts from Miller.

Two of his five choices were California. That still leaves 3 we don't know about.

Cam Talbot's numbers were better than Lacks last season. Marginally in save percentage but in GAA it wasn't even close. If you compare career numbers their better by a large margin.

Well we agree to disagree about Markstrom I suppose, but he's shown he's got the natural talent to play in the NHL. He needs to focus on his mental fortitude obviously, and I believe Miller will be excellent in mentoring him in that regard.

It is the extreme exception to the rule to have average AHL goaliea turn out to be good NHL goalies. And Hammond is not an example of this. Hammond is an example of how much random variation factors into goaltending in small sample sizes (ie he was very lucky). Fortunately for us the opposite could be said of Markstrom small NHL sample size (he has been unlucky).

People said the same thing about Tim Thomas when he came up to the Bruins and stood on his head. He had a long, not so successful minor league career. He left the NHL with .920 save percentage, 2 Vezinas, a Conn Smythe, a Stanley Cup and possibly a ticket to the HHOF.

The 'variable' I see in these situations isn't luck. It's desire. I saw a lot of desire in Hammond's game. Like Thomas, he was a free agent guy, never really given a chance.

Lots of the best goalies were undrafted ones. Guys like Belfour, or Joseph. They needed the desire to get them where they needed to be. Eddie Lack was also undrafted, and managed to secure a more tenable position in the NHL, having to prove himself at every point along the way.

Does Markstrom have the desire? Maybe we will find out this season.

Given how many people wanted to keep Lack why would you say this? Lol. Trying to stir up the fanbase?

The quote certainly lacks context but it does seem like a very unwise P.R. move. Not sure why Benning would have said this...

"You should've never signed Ryan Miller to begin with." - TOMapleLaughs

"If you HAD to sign Miller...one of: less money, less term or no NTC would have been a better plan" - J.R.

Ppl are in love with Lack's twitter account more than his playing skills. The way Markstrom performedninability Utica last year I'd rather keep him and learn under Miller.

Lack is not a starter yet in this league and he's 27.

Lack can only play the games he's given. I think it's fair to say without his play, there would have been no playoffs last season.

If you think AHL success guarantees NHL success, that's fine. Cory Schneider was an excellent AHL goalie. So was Jason Labarbera and Martin Brochu. Big difference between Schneider and those guys. There are no guarantees.

Archived