The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

"We could've moved Ryan Miller. There were teams calling on Ryan Miller." - Jim Benning

Zuongo

Drance is arguably the Canucks best writer. Try reading his material and know what you're talking about.

Give your head a shake.

He's a Toronto based Province blogger - he's not the "Canuck's best writer." He's just another pretentious media voice that couldn't hold a candle to Jim Benning.

His great prescription for this offseason was to throw the money at Cody Franson, and try to compete with a contender like Washington to sign Justin Williams.

Pullease.

Management simply werent sold on Lack, and considered him not a starter. At first I wasnt sold on it, far from actually, but hearing that Benning talked to all 29 other teams multiple times about Lack (I figured as much, but its nice to have it confirmed) and still only got that as a return says to me that all 29 other teams werent sold on him being a starter either. The writing is on the wall on this one.

The move makes sense for the direction management want to go in, so im cool with it.

You can't possibly be that dense to actually think Lack is going to be a backup. Ward has been going downhill for the past three years. Carolina traded for Lack as a replacement for Ward not a bloody backup. Sometimes you should think critically about these things instead of regurgitating management's rhetoric.

Considering how bad Carolina was Ward had a solid bounce back season last year.

22-24-5 SV% .910 GAA 2.40

Lack was brought in to solidify their goaltending by adding a 1/2 punch, like what we have had in previous years. Lack will start the year as the backup to Ward but Lack will get a good amount of games so that Ward doesn't have a huge workload.

Probably 50/30 split.

Both goalies are UFAs next year. If Lack is capable of outplaying Ward while handling a heavier workload then it's a win, if not then Ward will undoubtedly reestablish himself as a capable starter.

The risk here is that both Lack and Ward are capable of signing elsewhere next off-season.

The media has always been a troll. But surprisingly after all these years, the apparent fans on here let the media troll them. I must say CDC never ceases to amaze me.

It's confirmation bias. Many fans around here want to be negative about whats happening to and around the team. So when they see media being negative as well, they use it as confirmation for their own negative, pessimistic and irrational opinions.

Apparently word also that they offered Chris Higgins to everyone and no one was willing to take him because of his contract.

Man his contract isn't even that bad

Some tweets from i supposed people who went to the summit.

Why is Linden telling fans that they offered Higgins around the league and no one wanted him. HE'S STILL ON YOUR TEAM

If I am Higgins how excited are you to be back here next year. Offered around the league and no one wants him

I thought Higgins would have some value, but his stats are a little scary: 12 goals last year with lots of 2nd line/2nd unit pp time.

Ryan Biech@ryanbiech 2h

From "the other guy" who Linden asked to speak to at the #SummerSummit #Canucks http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showpost.php?p=105068969&postcount=602

I dont believe that one bit. Trevor is a very intelligent guy as far as PR, and knowing what to say to who, and how to say it, etc. I dont believe for a second he'd say that about someone still on the team. Or that he'd say that about someone they are actively shopping. Furthermore, I dont believe for a second that there'd be no takers for Higgs Boson, or that his contract is in any way, shape or form is bad.

It's quite obvious there was nothing lack could have done to win the trust of management and have them believe in him. The goalie battle was not based on merit. Miller is Benning's golden boy signing and he was always going to ship out lack in favour of miller no matter how well lack played.

lol. Benning even confirmed that the rest of the league view Lack as a backup and nothing more... Similar to what most good posters have been saying since the trade and probably before that as well.

Team played better in front of Miller in my books and I don't think a tandem of Lack and Markstrom would have resulted in anything better than a bottom 5 finish for the Canucks.

Here comes the crap storm

Please keep in mind.

1 would we have had to eat some of his contract

2 that one of Markstrom or Lack would have probably walked in the next 2-3 years

3 the return was probably lower than what we got from Lack

4 We would be having the same problems next year, but Lack could have walked for nothing

keep in mind.

NIEMI

If fans freaked out about only getting a 3rd for Lack and trading a 5th as incentive to get rid of Kassian, I hate to see what the low return on Miller would be.

It's so weird though, not since Cloutier have I seen an average goalie like Lack become so popular. Fans still have Nonis and Gillis brain and want to keep every popular but average player in hopes that they'll overachieve one year and make a cup run. Lack was awful in the playoffs and would be run out of town.

How about this then.If Miller was the bridge to our next starter,should'nt Lack have been part of the 3 year transition.Year 1 he plays about 30 games.Year 2 he splits the season and plays half the games.Year 3 he plays 50 and Miller 30 or so.He knows thru the process he is working to become their starter.Yes he becomes a UFA during that period but all the Canucks do is give him a 1 year deal to prove what his value will be by letting him be the starter in year 3.This all goes out the window now with Markstrom starting in year 2 of Millers contract.

Another bone of contention.What happens if Miller gets injured again.The brain trust of the Canucks end up taking it again because they are forced to find a veteran backup/starter (because there is no way in hell Markstrom is ready) and give up another 3rd rounder out of desperation?They should have stayed the course with Lack.

How about this then.If Miller was the bridge to our next starter,should'nt Lack have been part of the 3 year transition.Year 1 he plays about 30 games.Year 2 he splits the season and plays half the games.Year 3 he plays 50 and Miller 30 or so.He knows thru the process he is working to become their starter.Yes he becomes a UFA during that period but all the Canucks do is give him a 1 year deal to prove what his value will be by letting him be the starter in year 3.This all goes out the window now with Markstrom starting in year 2 of Millers contract.

Another bone of contention.What happens if Miller gets injured again.The brain trust of the Canucks end up taking it again because they are forced to find a veteran backup/starter (because there is no way in hell Markstrom is ready) and give up another 3rd rounder out of desperation?They should have stayed the course with Lack.

If we tried to keep Miller, Lack and Markstrom, we would have lost a goalie on waivers.

Miller and Lack is a combo with no upside.

Lack and Markstrom is a combo where two goalies could lose confidence and there's no safety net. Also it could be a goalie drama like Lu and Schneids.

Miller and Markstrom is mentor with the future. The biggest risk is making sure that Markstrom is really that good. If Miller gets injured then it's a chance for a young goalie to take over mid season (sound familiar?) if not, there's the open market and Demko in the pipeline.

Fans have to get out of Nonis and Gillis brain and assume all players are staying forever and that all our draft picks are writeoff. If it doesn't pan out, the next guy comes up to get an opportunity.

I think they were smart enough to realize the Eddie chants would have continued if the kept him , right up until he dropped some important playoff games then the fans would turn on him just like everyone else. Good on them for doing what they feel was best for the team not what was popular. Keeping miller to bring in the next crop is not as stupid as it may seem.

Archived