The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

"As a primary logo, the orca isn't going anywhere"

tas

I mostly agree. I guess my understanding around the logo though that it was created specifically around the team and the formation of the management company. This is different than say a team bought by McDonalds that uses the Golden Arches as the logo. The Canucks' "corporate" logo didn't really come to be in that way. When I say all logos are corporate, it is more in the realm of marketing and branding rather than the genesis of the logo per se.

Frankly there are people that hate it simply because they find it ugly. That's perfectly fine. The arguments over whether the logo matches the team name or home city gets pretty murky pretty quickly and many here have pretty polarised and unmoving views. Those are the more tiring arguments to me.

I agree... I don't see it as a big problem that the logo doesn't match the citys name or teams name. (as long as the logo is something specific for the team/region and not their owners!)

We can be on our own in that regard :-) However, the existing logo breaths John McCaw blood and that doesn't do it for me as a long time Canuck fan. I didn't like his companies colors or idea of his orcas at the time. Especially since his era was a really dark period for us.

And I don't like the fact that our owners corporation has taken the same logo. This is part of the problem. The name and logo should belong to the team, to survive future change of ownership. Now that's not the case. I do understand why the Aquilini's and de Bonis doesn't want to change it. It's their company logo as well. They don't wanna change that. :-(

I agree... I don't see it as a big problem that the logo doesn't match the citys name or teams name. (as long as the logo is something specific for the team/region and not their owners!)

We can be on our own in that regard :-) However, the existing logo breaths John McCaw blood and that doesn't do it for me as a long time Canuck fan. I didn't like his companies colors or idea of his orcas at the time. Especially since his era was a really dark period for us.

And I don't like the fact that our owners corporation has taken the same logo. This is part of the problem. The name and logo should belong to the team, to survive future change of ownership. Now that's not the case. I do understand why the Aquilini's and de Bonis doesn't want to change it. It's their company logo as well. They don't wanna change that. :-(

Yeah, likely a mistake on their part to share the branding. I can also understanding not liking it because of the association with that ownership group. I think for the average fan a logo either looks cool or it doesn't and the factors you are discussing and which are important to you are pretty much unknown to them. Ignorance is bliss?

When I first saw the current "logo" 9aka - corporate logo) my reaction was "what the hell is this pile of crap?"

Its been around 20 years, and it still sucks.

To make matters worse, the logo was brought in to represent "Orca Bay Sports & Entertainment" a corporation that no longer owns the team.

When John McCaw sold the team, the fish head should have left with him...but it didn't.

So now, the Canucks go out game in & game out sporting a corporate logo from an owner that fans everywhere are unified in calling the worst owner we had... for some reason.

Go back to the stick & rink logo.

Or the skate logo.

I don't care which one, but the fish head must go. We aren't the Vancouver Whalers. we aren't the Vancouver Orca Bay Sports & Entertainmenters. So why have a logot depicting that?

orca bay does still own the team. the aquilinis just changed the name.

the orca logo wasn't designed to advertise orca bay (which makes absolutely no sense, because there's no reason to advertise it). both the name orca bay and the orca logo were inspired by the same source material.

So now, the Canucks go out game in & game out sporting a corporate logo from an owner that fans everywhere are unified in calling the worst owner we had... for some reason.

Considering every team is a business, every teams logo is in fact a corporate logo.

Why was McCaw our worst owner? Is it because he didn't like losing tens of millions each year?

the orca logo wasn't designed to advertise orca bay (which makes absolutely no sense, because there's no reason to advertise it).

I agree. Orca Bay didn't produce or sell anything. What purpose is there in promoting a company that sells nothing? You won't get an answer to that though, I've tried many times. I suppose they believe the Canucks having an Orca logo caused people have the sudden urge to go to Grizzlies games.

I agree. Orca Bay didn't produce or sell anything. What purpose is there in promoting a company that sells nothing? You won't get an answer to that though, I've tried many times. I suppose they believe the Canucks having an Orca logo caused people have the sudden urge to go to Grizzlies games.

I equate it to the New York Red Bulls of the MLS. This is happening more and more. There's many more in Europe and Asia. Corporations are taking over sports franchises and attaching their corporate name to the team/city. If it wasn't for Pat Quinn we would've been the Orca's. They're not necessarily their to sell a cheeseburger per say but their brand and stamp out their identity on a franchise and further promote their name. Now that Aquilinis changed the name to Canucks S & E freakin get rid of the Orca.

For people who talk about Orca's being so Vancouver, c'mon there's as many other Native art animals as there are Orcas. Just because it's the aquariums logo it doesn't mean it represents Vancouver.

I equate it to the New York Red Bulls of the MLS. This is happening more and more. There's many more in Europe and Asia. Corporations are taking over sports franchises and attaching their corporate name to the team/city. If it wasn't for Pat Quinn we would've been the Orca's. They're not necessarily their to sell a cheeseburger per say but their brand and stamp out their identity on a franchise and further promote their name. Now that Aquilinis changed the name to Canucks S & E freakin get rid of the Orca.

For people who talk about Orca's being so Vancouver, c'mon there's as many other Native art animals as there are Orcas. Just because it's the aquariums logo it doesn't mean it represents Vancouver.

those two aren't even remotely comparable. red bull is and was a preexisting company that promotes and sells costumer items. orca bay was a management company created solely to operate the canucks/grizzlies/gm place with nothing to promote or sell. unless mccaw was secretly a black market orca meat peddler.

I guess you choose to read the bits and pieces you want to and leave out the other.

I agree... the fact that it was John McCaw personally (as fast as he got full control of the company) that forced the change of the color theme and logo into his own corporate theme says a lot. (Doesn't matter that he involved others to take part in his doings.)

If you really think that change (that the new logo+colors matched his corporation) was a pure coincident, you're very very naive! :picard:

That's also why (thank god!!) the Aquilini's changed most of it back when he got 100% control of the company. Otherwise we'd be stuck with that lousy dress forever.

Vancouver teams and their respective identities:

BC Lions

dgwagsp9mjfzlrupgt15fsg1g.gifA mountain lion's head. No Native animal art.

Vancouver Whitecaps

vk6eh75qeug9nejz5g4k1evlo.gifWhite-capped mountains reflecting a VW in the water. No Native animal art.

Vancouver Canadians

273917832014.gifBaseball in the "C" with a maple leaf forming an apostrophe in "C's". No Native animal art.

273988702014.gif"Monty the Mountie" is the Canadians' secondary logo in tribute to the old Vancouver Mounties Triple A baseball team.

What the Canucks should look like:

2923581971.gif or for12dfd4agde8ldpkzg.gif

and with this

fqsaneuuzbmiftlbsyuv5htof.gif

The skate in rink was determined to be awful out the gate. Hence the original change, to the flying v? (Whoever agreed to that was high on something.) The modified one isn't much better. It is a shoulder patch, not a logo.

The lumberjack with the toque actually says as much about quebec than it does about western canada. It's a stereotypical view of canadians in general. It's also been taken by several sports teams.

Perhaps the most offensive is the Cleveland Lumberjacks, which sports a beaver in front of a sawblade. Muskegon, Northern Arizona, Vermont, the Portland LumberjaX, Rockford Foresters, the SFA Ladyjacks. All sport the dude with a beard, the toque and the axe.

The Vancouver Giants also sport the dude.

The lumberjack is TAKEN.

Besides, this dude is what people down there think the logo would be referring to:

yukon.gif

Meanwhile, anyone arriving at YVR... What's the first impression of Vancouver? Like it or not, 'native animal art' is a major part of the identity of Vancouver.

If Seattle can get behind the Seahawks with their omg 'native animal art', then I see zero problems for us getting behind our own. Just focus on the team instead of the look of the uniform. Dressing up a pig ain't going to get him to the ball.

I would have no problem if we were called the whales, orcas since that's what our logo depicts.

The native art in the Seahawks is representing a...guess what...a Seahawk not a Yankee. Our Orca Whale is representing a Vancouver Canuck.

Zero association in my mind. I understand and I tried my hardest to think out of the box on our Logo but still it doesn't make an obvious connection. It's a far reach at best...but however you think of it it doesn't not represent a Canuck. The C could stand for Canuck but the Orca totally muddies up any meaning the C is trying to connect to Canuck.

I love the Vancouver Canadians logo. Clear and Canadian, with the ball rapping the sport. Stick in rink would do just that.

I would have no problem if we were called the whales, orcas since that's what our logo depicts.

The native art in the Seahawks is representing a...guess what...a Seahawk not a Yankee. Our Orca Whale is representing a Vancouver Canuck.

Zero association in my mind. I understand and I tried my hardest to think out of the box on our Logo but still it doesn't make an obvious connection. It's a far reach at best...but however you think of it it doesn't not represent a Canuck. The C could stand for Canuck but the Orca totally muddies up any meaning the C is trying to connect to Canuck.

I love the Vancouver Canadians logo. Clear and Canadian, with the ball rapping the sport. Stick in rink would do just that.

Does the decapitated native head Chicago is sporting represent a Black Hawk?

How does the C and the H say Canadiens? Shouldn't it be CaHadiens?

New. York. Rangers. Pretty easy. But what is it?

Sure, some logos get more straight to the point than some, but a logo is a logo. It is there to identify the team. That's it. I see nothing better with the Canadiens logo other than it's something that's been around longer. Same with Chicago's decapitated native head, which ironically is constantly voted as one of the best. It's freaking racist.

The skate in rink was determined to be awful out the gate. Hence the original change, to the flying v? (Whoever agreed to that was high on something.) The modified one isn't much better. It is a shoulder patch, not a logo.

The lumberjack with the toque actually says as much about quebec than it does about western canada. It's a stereotypical view of canadians in general. It's also been taken by several sports teams.

Perhaps the most offensive is the Cleveland Lumberjacks, which sports a beaver in front of a sawblade. Muskegon, Northern Arizona, Vermont, the Portland LumberjaX, Rockford Foresters, the SFA Ladyjacks. All sport the dude with a beard, the toque and the axe.

The Vancouver Giants also sport the dude.

The lumberjack is TAKEN.

Meanwhile, anyone arriving at YVR... What's the first impression of Vancouver? Like it or not, 'native animal art' is a major part of the identity of Vancouver.

If Seattle can get behind the Seahawks with their omg 'native animal art', then I see zero problems for us getting behind our own. Just focus on the team instead of the look of the uniform. Dressing up a pig ain't going to get him to the ball.

Canucks and Giants - both play in two different leagues at two entirely different levels. By the way, Edmonton has both the Oilers and the Oil Kings.

Lumberjacks wearing toques says a lot about Quebec, eh? So what. Quebec is a Canadian province and Johnny Canuck is proudly Canadian. Furthermore, forestry has been big in BC for decades. And what people work in forestry?? LUMBERJACKS. Which is why the Canucks chose the lumberjack version of Johnny Canuck back in 1945.

As for the Seahawks, it's pretty obvious. Their logo is a seahawk, aka. the osprey. The City of Seattle is named after Chief Seattle. That's why the football team uses a Native-themed seahawk logo.

Native animal art at YVR is marketing the City of Vancouver to tourists. However, the Canucks don't need to cater the club brand to tourists and to 25 years-and-under fans.

The Canucks are a hockey team named after Johnny Canuck, a fearless and hardworking lumberjack whose profession stems deep in BC history. The blue, green and white colours respectively represent Vancouver's surrounding waters, BC's forests and snow on the North Shore mountains.

So, there you go. :)

Canucks and Giants - both play in two different leagues at two entirely different levels. By the way, Edmonton has both the Oilers and the Oil Kings.

Lumberjacks wearing toques says a lot about Quebec, eh? So what. Quebec is a Canadian province and Johnny Canuck is proudly Canadian. Furthermore, forestry has been big in BC for decades. And what people work in forestry?? LUMBERJACKS. Which is why the Canucks chose the lumberjack version of Johnny Canuck back in 1945.

As for the Seahawks, it's pretty obvious. Their logo is a seahawk, aka. the osprey. The City of Seattle is named after Chief Seattle. That's why the football team uses a Native-themed seahawk logo.

Native animal art at YVR is marketing the City of Vancouver to tourists. However, the Canucks don't need to cater the club brand to tourists and to 25 years-and-under fans.

The Canucks are a hockey team named after Johnny Canuck, a fearless and hardworking lumberjack whose profession stems deep in BC history. The blue, green and white colours respectively represent Vancouver's surrounding waters, BC's forests and snow on the North Shore mountains.

So, there you go. :)

The Oil Kings feature a crown, so there goes that. The thing about the lumberjack is that it's been done in this market. So why do it again with the Canucks? What is the idea that Canuck = Lumberjack anyway? That's not necessarily the case, as described before.

The pacific northwest is all about native art. Anyone knows that. It was here before any of our ancestors were. Vancouver embraced it. It's part of who we are. Have you heard of Bill Reid? The pacific northwest is also all about the orca. You are going to see more actual orca than lumberjacks around Vancouver, quite easily. So wake up and smell the seaweed.

The lumberjack logo is silly anyway. What is he looking at? The next tree to fell? Oh, that will sit well with our treehuggin' fanbase.

Man, it's as if you have no idea what Vancouver is.

Let some hick town like Chase BC adopt the lumberjack instead. Vancouver has NOTHING to do with forestry.

The Oil Kings feature a crown, so there goes that. The thing about the lumberjack is that it's been done in this market. So why do it again with the Canucks? What is the idea that Canuck = Lumberjack anyway? That's not necessarily the case, as described before.

The pacific northwest is all about native art. Anyone knows that. It was here before any of our ancestors were. Vancouver embraced it. It's part of who we are. Have you heard of Bill Reid? The pacific northwest is also all about the orca. You are going to see more actual orca than lumberjacks around Vancouver, quite easily. So wake up and smell the seaweed.

The lumberjack logo is silly anyway. What is he looking at? The next tree to fell? Oh, that will sit well with our treehuggin' fanbase.

Man, it's as if you have no idea what Vancouver is.

Let some hick town like Chase BC adopt the lumberjack instead. Vancouver has NOTHING to do with forestry.

I think you're missing a point here.

1) You're correct (at least in my opinion) in the assumption that Vancouver and native art/orcas, goes hand in hand. - However, all your arguments contradict this. Not one example from you has a team with a name and a logo of something completely different. The Seahawks=Seahawk, Blackhawks=a Blackhawk (regardless of racist or not, it makes sense), Oil Kings=Crown (what does a king wear!?) Canadiens=CH (Club de Hockey Canadien) etc etc... they all makes sense. I hope can you understand that!?

2) The problem is that the team is named Canucks, to honor the old WHL team which took the name from the troops (called Canucks) in the WWII, and they (the troops) took it from the redesigned cartoon Johnny Canuck (made into a canadian captain america). So... I guess we could either do it the Rangers way, by simply write CANUCKS on our chest (which the old WHL team had, but as an arch) or make a new logo depicting either the troops logo of Johnny Canuck (the captain america replika), or the original lumberjack.

3) If we wanna keep the Orca/native art theme, we really should rename our franchise. At least skip the C-shape since the orca/native art has nothing to do with a Canuck.

Archived