The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is it just me or are we poised to dominate the Pacific again?

apollo

Alright so Im 6 days earlier this year but I just cant keep it in any longer. Im getting a tumour from all these pessimistic posts: Tank! Were gonna be bottom feeders Last in the division!

Had to have my voice heard beofore I lose it...

Disclaimer: If youre gonna call me out like last year and say Im wrong and well miss the playoffs Im willing to put my CDC membership on the line as long as you agree to do so as well and leave CDC forever when we make the playoffs. Or at least stop being a pessimistic downer 24/7.

Last year we penetrated the Pacific with a 17-9-3 record, 2nd in the division, and dealt one of the final KO punches to the Kings when Lord Henrik decided to go #700 in PROLIFIC FASHION. Now all of sudden people think because we lost a couple power forwards that dont hit and are inconsistent, were in trouble? Or is it because we lost a social media darling? Richy and Juice will leave a void but none that cant be filled by committee. Lets take a look at the division again and see how we match up. Not comparing with the Central because all that matters is for us to finish top 3 in the Pacific.

Anaheim: Prediction 1 or 2nd in the division. Our biggest threat. Replaced Beau, Belesky, Etem with Hagelin, Juice, Stewart. Also added a good goalie in Khudobin. Made improvements for sure.

Offense: Better than us

Defense: Par with us

Goaltending: Inferior to us

Rating: 9.00

Calgary: 3rd to 5th in the division. They won too many games they shouldnt have and had poor underlying numbers which was well documented. That being said they made a great addition in Dougie and their youngsters should all see some improvements. Frolik was also added and overpaid IMO. I could see what happened to the Avalanche happen to them with teams taking it harder to them each game so I don't see them improving in the standings

Offense: Slightly Inferior

Defense: Better than us

Goaltending: Inferior

Rating 8.50

Loser Angeles: 3rd to 5th in the division. Added Lucic, but lost Stoll, Williams, Richards, Voynov, Sekera, Regehr, Jones they have young talent the likes of Shore, Pearson, Toffoli and Andreoff that can step up but theyll be in tough unless the league hands them at least 15 wins.

Offense: Inferior

Defense: Better than us but very little depth now so it's marginal

Goaltending: Cant go wrong with Quick. Better than us but not that much

Rating: 8.50

San Jose: 2nd to 6th in the division. Itll be up to Jones and Stalock solely. Theyll live and die by their goaltending.

Offense: On par

Defense: Inferior

Goaltending: Inferior

Rating 8.25

Edmonton: 4th-6th. Connor cant save them just yet. Horrible Sekera contract, Griffin is unproven. Theyve got lots of good young players but dont see them ready yet. Talbot shouldnt be that big of an upgrade if they play D like they have been.

Rating 7.00

Arizona: Last (I was way wrong last year chose Calgary)

Vancouver: Prediction 1-3rd in the division

Offense: Sedins are nowhere near washed up. Daniel was tied for 1st in points between Western Conference players that made the playoffs. Also led the NHL in primary assist; ahead of Crosby, Benn, Tavares, etc. Vancouver still has an elite top line, it will be up to the 3 very good 3rd lines we have to support them.

Without a doubt Vancouver will roll 4 lines better than any team in the division. Itll be up to Vey, Bo, Kenny to show improvements over last year. One more year under a new system from Bonino, Higgy and Hansen should do wonders for their games as well. Look for them to have better seasons. If a guy like Virtanen, Cassels, McCann, Shink, Jensen, etc can step up that would be fantastic but not our only hope.

Defense: Extra year for everyone to adjust to the new coaches. Tanev, Lui, Edler, Weber, Franky, and Adam should all be improving. Hammer is a rock and hope to see good things from Bart. Biega is also a great depth option. Canucks defense is in good hands even with the departure of perennial leader and all man KB3. I'm confident Lui can fill Jucie's void and then some. Physicality and as man as you can get. Remember that game last year he got cut, got stitches and came back to the game with like 1 minut left? He's a gamer. LUUUUUUUUUU!

Goaltending: No worries. Not gonna waste my breath on it. Miller is money ... FYI had the longest shutout streak in pro hockey last year. Also Marky should do as well as Eddie.

Rating: 8.75

Final Standing Predictions Went away from my rankings just based on feeling. Nux are a lock for the playoffs. If all goes well, division and a healthy cup run can be ours.

• Vancouver
  • Anaheim
  • Calgary
  • San Jose
  • LA
  • Edmonton
  • Arizona

:towel:GO CANUCKS GO! :towel:

The Canucks need to tank and if every goes to plan should tank and will hopefully get a top 3 pick and be able to draft a franchise sorta player to build around moving forward and hopfully aquire some more first round picks at the deadline to give us some more quality prospects

We need at least one season of real failure combineded with making sure we make quality selections in next yrs draft to put this team on a real upswing to the future

As soon as I saw the thread title I knew this was Apollo.

Apollo we'll finish 9th.

Too good to tank. Too bad to win.

Another mid round draft pick but at least we're in a winning environment.

This team desperately needs a franchise Dman. Next years draft has that. Why not suffer one year of pain for years of gain?

IMO, about the worst thing that could happen to the Canucks is a repeat of last year. Getting booted in the 1st round, picking late in the draft, having their top players continue to age without any legitimate replacements, and worst of all, holding on to expiring UFA's for the playoff run instead of flipping them for picks/prospects at the trade deadline would put the franchise back onother 2-3 years.

This team is not in a good position to make a deep playoff run. Isn't that what it's all about?

I don't believe in tanking on purpose. I think what Buffalo did last season was disgraceful, and I'm glad they lost out on McDavid, although Eichel is a pretty sweet consolation prize. However, it is time to move on from the aging core, and shake things up a bit. Benning has certainly been doing both of those things, and while I don't necessarily agree with all his moves so far, he's the man with the plan, and I'm just a fan.

Hopefully, his coaching in the playoffs was one of the worst coaching performances I've seen in a long time...

You think?, He did what he could with a squad that was wasted after a season of battling injuries. Not just any injuries but injuries to key players.

Even in the playoffs we were suffering from injuries to Juice, Kassian, Richie, Kenins, Vey, and I suspect Edler, Vbrata and Bonino, Burr were also less than 100%.

For what it's worth I totally agree wit the OP and have said as much already on these boards.

I think Vancouver has a very decent shot at making the playoffs.

And I don't buy the "every team got better except ours" crap that comes up EVERY pre-season.

Cup contenders? No. I think the 2nd round is a best case scenario, but I definitely don't think this team will be nearly as bad as some of you are claiming.

IMO, about the worst thing that could happen to the Canucks is a repeat of last year. Getting booted in the 1st round, picking late in the draft, having their top players continue to age without any legitimate replacements, and worst of all, holding on to expiring UFA's for the playoff run instead of flipping them for picks/prospects at the trade deadline would put the franchise back onother 2-3 years.

This team is not in a good position to make a deep playoff run. Isn't that what it's all about?

I don't believe in tanking on purpose. I think what Buffalo did last season was disgraceful, and I'm glad they lost out on McDavid, although Eichel is a pretty sweet consolation prize. However, it is time to move on from the aging core, and shake things up a bit. Benning has certainly been doing both of those things, and while I don't necessarily agree with all his moves so far, he's the man with the plan, and I'm just a fan.

Do you quit much? That sounds like loser talk to me. There is nobody who can predict what will happen once you get into the playoffs.

A lot really depends on what shape your players are in when they get in. As I say above I feel we were much better than our 1st round exit but we were "smoked" from the season injuries.

I'm calling Canucks snagging the final wild card spot.

At this point, I kind of hope not. Nothing would be worse than hanging on to expiring UFA's again, getting turfed from the playoffs AGAIN and picking late in the first AGAIN.

I barely even enjoyed watching them this playoffs. You could practically feel them desperately straining to try to just keep up. It was almost sad.

Give me Calgary of a couple years ago. A hardworking team who's never easy to beat with a few cagey vets mixed with exciting but raw youth. Sell expiring UFA's at the deadline. Don't win a lot but be hard to play against and fun to watch. Finish in the bottom 10. Pick a good player. Develop him well.

Even in the playoffs we were suffering from injuries to Juice, Kassian, Richie, Kenins, Vey, and I suspect Edler, Vbrata and Bonino, Burr were also less than 100%.

You forgot Dorsett as well.

Our top line is very fragile, and so is our goaltending. one injury to a Sedin, Vrbata, or Miller, and we will probably be in the bottom 10 of the league.

If we stay healthy and get similar production from the Sedins are bottom 6 can carry us into a playoff spot, but that being said, it doesn't seem like our management thinks we have a great chance at succeeding this year.

great optimistic thread but okay let's say they make the playoffs than what?

Do you really see Sbisa and Weber playing solid?

Do you see Hansen not making mistakes at key times?

Do you really see the Sedins not being shut down?

Do really see Miller taking us to the promise land?

Do you really see Vrbata being lights out?

Do you really see the core getting it done ?

lol so many questions, I'm on the side of rebuilding now, I think 4 times is enough from this core. The heart break that is. It's time to build a new nucleus (new core build around Horvat) and hope Benning is a seller at the trade-deadline.

More questions to ask do you see this team beating Hawks, Flames, Ducks, LA in a 7 game series?

Who knows what's going to happen? For all we know we could have a group that puts it together and rolls through the playoffs, we could have the same outcome as last season or just miss the playoffs entirely. Forget about the judgments and just let the play at least half a season first. After that either panic or parade.

THE CUP!!!

We have to be honest! This is the year were Benning can save years off the rebuild by trading away ufas. Last thing we need is the playoffs. Sorry to say, but did you already forget the heart break in Calgary ? ELITE TEAMS DON'T DO THAT!

The bottom line is they can't be mediocre come playoffs it will hurt us in the long run. Linden and Benning need to be honest with themselves and be sellers at the deadline regardless of the standings.

My god this board is filled with ADD kids who can't bear to stand the thought of missing the playoff.

Learn patience and you will go much further in life.

OP you are absolutely delusional if you think we will "dominate" anything next year.

That being said, we will most likely be fighting for a playoff spot, yet again... we have the players to squeak us into it (sadly).

However, we all know what the result will be in the playoffs... and of course the aftermath picking in the 20-ish range.

The Calgary match-up blatantly displayed we are in no shape to contend in the post-season... yet, people choose to be impatient and watch 4-5 more hockey games next season rather than be patient and drastically improve our team in the long run.

Seriously, learn to analyze the situation correctly. People who are against your "optimism" aren't pessimists. We simply have a better grasp of our team's assessment and we know what is required to actually make this team a competitor as you kids all desire.

Archived