The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Luongo, Schneider, Kesler, Bieksa, Lack = Markstrom, Horvat, Sbisa, Sutter, Dorsett, McCann, 3rd, 3rd, 7th

Zuongo

Lack is a backup on a terrible Carolina team and had an awful 3.03 GAA and .886 SV % in the playoffs. If I was trading for a goalie this offseason I'd go hard for Talbot or go cheap and get Neimi. I think Lack was fairly valued but Lehner and Jones were vastly overvalued by two fools. Having said that, if Markstrom could have been traded for a 1st, that trade should have been made.

I don't think they thought that lack could ever be more then a good backup and wanted to keep the goalie that could be a good starter? I don't think it was a bad move and I don't think we could have gotten a first for marks. Think about it we got a first for Cory who was ready to be a good starter and marks is still a question mark, you think someone would have given us a first?

I don't think they thought that lack could ever be more then a good backup and wanted to keep the goalie that could be a good starter? I don't think it was a bad move and I don't think we could have gotten a first for marks. Think about it we got a first for Cory who was ready to be a good starter and marks is still a question mark, you think someone would have given us a first?

I totally agree with you. The poster I responded to said they thought Lack was a starter on a weak team. Carolina is a bad team and Lack is a backup. Also Lack had poor playoff numbers so I don't know how the return could have been much higher than the 3rd... maybe a 2nd but Benning said he'd draft Brisebois anyway.

If Martin Jones and Robin Lehner went for 1sts, It's possible Markstrom could have gone for a 1st. I thought both of those deals were overpayments by crazy GMs in valuing potential over track record... it would be nice if our team benefitted from the idiocy of other GMs.

Lack was sold for close to reasonable value while Jones and Lehner were sold for ridiculously high value. But just because there were two insane GMs who paid a lot for specific guys that defied logic, doesn't mean Lack was valued unfairly.

I totally agree with you. The poster I responded to said they thought Lack was a starter on a weak team. Carolina is a bad team and Lack is a backup. Also Lack had poor playoff numbers so I don't know how the return could have been much higher than the 3rd... maybe a 2nd but Benning said he'd draft Brisebois anyway.

If Martin Jones and Robin Lehner went for 1sts, It's possible Markstrom could have gone for a 1st. I thought both of those deals were overpayments by crazy GMs in valuing potential over track record... it would be nice if our team benefitted from the idiocy of other GMs.

Lack was sold for close to reasonable value while Jones and Lehner were sold for ridiculously high value. But just because there were two insane GMs who paid a lot for specific guys that defied logic, doesn't mean Lack was valued unfairly.

I think there were 4 goalies available at the draft of similar quality: Lehner, Talbot, Lack and Jones.

• Buffalo really wanted Lehner because they had inside knowledge (allegedly) and gave up one of their many 1st's for him. 21 OA and also Legwand came to Buffalo.
  • Edmonton was next taking Talbot and a 7th for a 2nd, 3rd, and 7th
  • Carolina took Lack for a 3rd and a 7th.
  • San Jose took Jones for a 1st and Kuraly

So I can understand why Buffalo wanted to get their man and overpaid. As for San Jose maybe they felt that Jones was their last chance because they had already moved Niemi and they had better beat out what ever competition there may have been.

I think that the league did view Lack as a back up given his price but he still may end up being the starter in Carolina. Ward is 31 and his stats are fair to middling, 51 starts last year and he is a UFA after this coming season (same as Lack). Lack will certainly get lots of playing time and Carolina may want to rid themselves of Wards 6.1 cap hit. Lack is a good option for a starter if the team doesn't want to shell out big bucks for a top of the line player. If Carolina is fine with an average to good goaltender and the corresponding salary, they could do worse than to promote Lack. His salary would likely be at least 2M less than Wards. Ward may yield a nice return on the rental market.

Are we younger, bigger, faster, and have a foundation for the future?

I would say we're not doing too badly.

not at all , but you know there are people that will nitpick everytrade and overvalue majority of the players traded away, and devalue the players returning

Should have kept luongo =(

5.3... Absolute robbery for an elite goalie.

only move i am still upset about, i could have understood it if we kept schneider but......no reason to trade him. im sure benning would have kept him if it was up to him

regardless tho its not the end of the world , miller is a solid goalie and gets way too much hate in this market

What I see is: Luongo, Schneider, Kesler, Bieksa, Lack = Early 1st, Late 1st, Late first/early 2nd (Sutter if we were to trade at the deadline), NHL ready possible starting goaltender, Grit who can play, Depth D project under 25, 3rd, 3rd, 7th. 15 million in cap space, 3 fewer No Trade Clauses and two less people who don't want to be on our team.

uhhh Sutter is 26.....not 36

why exactly would we unload him at the deadline?

not at all , but you know there are people that will nitpick everytrade and overvalue majority of the players traded away, and devalue the players returning

only move i am still upset about, i could have understood it if we kept schneider but......no reason to trade him. im sure benning would have kept him if it was up to him

regardless tho its not the end of the world , miller is a solid goalie and gets way too much hate in this market

Don't worry. Miller will be loved when he's gone and Markstrom or anyone else is the new hated #1 goalie.

When you look at the players new contracts, we gave up 23.5 in cap space and got back is 14 million (assuming Sutter at around 4.4).

Throw in the contracts for Miller and Vrbata, and it is a comparable 23.5 vs 25.

So Luongo, Schneider, Kesler, Bieksa, Lack for Miller, Horvat, Vrbata, Sbisa, Sutter, Dorsett, Markstrom.

Luongo / Miller = Wash
Kesler / Sutter & Vrbata = Canucks win
Bieksa /Sbisa = Wash
Lack / Markstrom & Brisebois = Wash
Schneider / Horvat & Dorsett = Wash

Luongo and Miller were almost identical goalies based on pedigree. I probably prefer Luongo, but he has that massively long contract that is a bit of a handcuff.

Kesler was a warrior for us, but he was a bit overrated offensively. Sutter can hopefully bring something similar to Kesler defensively, while Vrbata is a huge upgrade offensively. I don't think the Canucks would have made the playoffs without Vrbata who lead our team in goals by a whopping margin (50% over Daniel Sedin).

Sbisa is a young version of Bieksa at this stage. Neither are very good. Bieksa has the upper-hand right now but he is older - Sbisa has room to improve.

We took a third round pick in return for Lack, when we could have kept him and maybe put Markstrom on waivers. Lack is the better of the two and more experience, but Markstrom is a better fit and has a higher ceiling.

Schneider is the best piece we gave up, and Horvat is the best piece we got in return. The demand for a young, two-way centre like Horvat who has proven he can play in the league is very high. At the time the trade was a risk, because Schneider was proven whereas the pick could have busted. Now that we know we've got a good player, I think this was a solid hockey trade for both teams. Dorsett is also a nice complimentary piece.

Looking at where things are at today, we are more or less even. However, I did not include Jared McCann.

If McCann is a complete bust, we don't come out ahead. However, if he hits his potential we come out way ahead.

You know I don't understand all you we should have kept Lou... Or kess. They didn't want to be here and we moved them, unhappy players are bad for the room and should be moved.

Trading Cory was a huge mistake by MG because he and everyone else knew that Lou wanted out, lucky for us we got a gem in Bo and we were able to sign miller.

You guys have all your ex girlfriends chained up in your basement? It's just not a healthy environment to have unhappy workers, it sours everyone.

Horvat and Sutter are good returns but I still wish we had kept Schneider.

So you'd rather have a 29year old goaltender and an aging roster to finish 9th in the conference every year?

If we kept Schneider we wouldn't have had a shot at Virtanen either.

Subtract:Sutter/Horvat/Virtanen

Keep Schneider?

So you'd rather have a 29year old goaltender and an aging roster to finish 9th in the conference every year?

If we kept Schneider we wouldn't have had a shot at Virtanen either.

Subtract:Sutter/Horvat/Virtanen

Keep Schneider?

This makes my head spin? What have sutter and virtanen to do with Cory??? Your saying that we'd be higher in the standings in regards to virt? You could go back to the start of the Canucks and make a case for how we got him and it would be just as relevant. As for sutter I'm lost?

I think there were 4 goalies available at the draft of similar quality: Lehner, Talbot, Lack and Jones.

• Buffalo really wanted Lehner because they had inside knowledge (allegedly) and gave up one of their many 1st's for him. 21 OA and also Legwand came to Buffalo.
  • Edmonton was next taking Talbot and a 7th for a 2nd, 3rd, and 7th
  • Carolina took Lack for a 3rd and a 7th.
  • San Jose took Jones for a 1st and Kuraly
So I can understand why Buffalo wanted to get their man and overpaid. As for San Jose maybe they felt that Jones was their last chance because they had already moved Niemi and they had better beat out what ever competition there may have been.

I think that the league did view Lack as a back up given his price but he still may end up being the starter in Carolina. Ward is 31 and his stats are fair to middling, 51 starts last year and he is a UFA after this coming season (same as Lack). Lack will certainly get lots of playing time and Carolina may want to rid themselves of Wards 6.1 cap hit. Lack is a good option for a starter if the team doesn't want to shell out big bucks for a top of the line player. If Carolina is fine with an average to good goaltender and the corresponding salary, they could do worse than to promote Lack. His salary would likely be at least 2M less than Wards. Ward may yield a nice return on the rental market.

The goalie market was pretty poor. Buffalo and Edmonton were the only ones who really needed a goalie. SJ could have kept Niemi but chose not to. For other teams its a question of giving up assets via trade for an upgrade. For most teams Lack isn't worth trading a 3rd round for as a backup esp one that's a pending UFA. Since Edmonton wanted Talbot and Buffalo wanted Lehner, there weren't many better options.

I agree that Lack could pan out but given today's NHL, most teams can find decent goaltending quite easily via draft which means trading away zero assets.

I like Miller as being the legit vet and mentor and Markstrom being the up and comer with high ceiling. The Canucks made the right call not going all on Lack to extend his contract and not leaving him hanging throughout the year. We had enough goalie drama in recent memory. A clear starter and clear backup should be defined or else it causes problems.

Don't worry. Miller will be loved when he's gone and Markstrom or anyone else is the new hated #1 goalie.

Hahahaha this is so true , all these bloggers from canucks army ect who hate on miller all day will be like "i dont see why we traded a proven goalie when all we have is an unproven backup"

You know I don't understand all you we should have kept Lou... Or kess. They didn't want to be here and we moved them, unhappy players are bad for the room and should be moved.

Trading Cory was a huge mistake by MG because he and everyone else knew that Lou wanted out, lucky for us we got a gem in Bo and we were able to sign miller.

You guys have all your ex girlfriends chained up in your basement? It's just not a healthy environment to have unhappy workers, it sours everyone.

first off , yes , yes i do ..and it isnt a basement i live in an apartment

secondly ....Lou didnt want out as bad as kes , kes wanted out to win , lou just wanted to be a starter and i can understand why he'd be mad when Lack is starting in his place , schnieder was one thing , but to trade schnieder and still have to deal with it ....his anger is justified

Archived