The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Luongo, Schneider, Kesler, Bieksa, Lack = Markstrom, Horvat, Sbisa, Sutter, Dorsett, McCann, 3rd, 3rd, 7th

Zuongo

Really like it.

Luongo had to go, and sadly Torts brought it all to an end here. And that contract. That horrible, horrible contract.

Schneider trade was out of nowhere, and at the time, IMO, it looked bad. But Bo's one solid 2nd year away from solidifying himself as the real deal. And the Canucks future Captain.

Kesler. A coward for ditching his teammates, his brothers,.,and then he handcuffed the Canucks to Anaheim, forcing Benning's hand, but now that it's Sutter, Dorsett, Sbisa, & McCann as the return, it's a decent haul for a player who's on the downside of his career and who's body is gonna be quickly deteriorating due to wear and tear. And it's a pretty good package for with what he did to the Canucks, which inevitably kept the Canucks from getting more.

Bieksa, my favourite Canuck, the only player's name and number I ever put on a Canucks jersey. But his best days are behind him, and normally I'd be open to hoping for him to get a Cup, just not with Ryan Kancer and the Ducks. And lets face it, the Sharks screwed Benning over when they changed their minds with regards to the yr of the 2nd rd pick they were gonna give up for Bieksa, so Benning walking away and getting another 2nd rd pick, albeit a definite lower pick, you gotta give him credit for taking care of it quickly and not leaving Kevin in limbo.

Lack for Brisebois. We've heard Benning say it many times, he wants a PROVEN #1. And as much as I loved Lack (my 3 yr old son's favourite player), he wasn't a proven #1. Now as for whether or not Benning traded the wrong goalie, we 'll have to wait and see. Maybe he becomes a legit #1 in succession to Ward, and maybe he doesn't.

As for the return, The Canucks may have gotten a gem in Brisebois,..lots to like about his potential to be a legit, smooth skating, mistake free, Tanev-type top 4 dman with solid puck moving abilities and great leadership qualities. Plus, for everyone who follows the Canucks and expected a 2nd rd pick for Lack, Brisebois was rated in the low 40's by CS and Bob McKenzie, thus a projected 2nd rd pick, who apparently the Canucks would've taken if they landed said pick. He fell to them at 66,..consider it a win, and like I said, we'll just have to wait and see with regards to how Lack and Brisebois turn out.

The swap may or may not be everyone's cup of tea, but compared to the following, it is amazing:

Toronto trades:

Seguin

Hamilton

Kessel

Rask

Toronto receives:

Kapanen

Late first round pick

Andrew Raycroft

$1.2M against the cap

You need a couple more years to make judgment on the Schneider and Luongo trades? Regardless of circumstances, we got ripped off in the Kesler deal. I'd rather have an unhappy Kesler than just give him away to a conference rival.

open your eyes guy. We got hosed and if you went to work and made those kind of mistakes you would be fired. Trading those caliber of players should get you a high end prospect which Anaheim has plenty of. Bieksa should have brought us more too.

Seemingly ignored. Capspace is a significant aspect in the cap era. You cannot simply look at player X vs. player y anymore.

Totally, like the people that complained about us only getting a 2nd for garrison. Yet we used his cap to get vrbata for free. Or when we "only" got a first for Schneider (still the highest pick ever traded for a goalie) when we were 8 million over the cap and couldn't take anything back.

• 4 weeks later...

Bieksa, my favourite Canuck, the only player's name and number I ever put on a Canucks jersey. But his best days are behind him, and normally I'd be open to hoping for him to get a Cup, just not with Ryan Kancer and the Ducks. And lets face it, the Sharks screwed Benning over when they changed their minds with regards to the yr of the 2nd rd pick they were gonna give up for Bieksa, so Benning walking away and getting another 2nd rd pick, albeit a definite lower pick, you gotta give him credit for taking care of it quickly and not leaving Kevin in limbo.

Agreed, but the NHL is the real winner here. Bieksa, is well known as a huge personality in Vancouver and has great comedy value. However, he has been hidden in a small market (Vancouver). The NHL will now be able to capitalize on his personality in the largest market the NHL has to work with. Watch for increased Bieksa content on NHL.com in 2015-16.

We got the best return we could have for those players, but each of the former players were quality assets for this team. As of right now I'd say only Horvat measures up in terms of value to those guys. McCann and perhaps one of the third rounders will in the near future.

open your eyes guy. We got hosed and if you went to work and made those kind of mistakes you would be fired. Trading those caliber of players should get you a high end prospect which Anaheim has plenty of. Bieksa should have brought us more too.

curious - which 'high end prospect' were you expecting? and how would you define McCann?

people still whining about the Luongo or Kesler returns? get over it. they were both very reasonable deals and entirely necessary - and in both cases with virtually no options for the GMs but to deal with one or two clubs exclusively. The team has very good young pieces moving forward as a result of each of those deal.

the Bieksa deal is a very good return on a player at that point of his career - with that cap hit.

I'd be far more disappointed to be on the other end of that deal (as much as I love Juice the person) - would not want to be committed to that re-up.

If Benning had re-signed Bieksa to those terms this place would have gone ballistic.

Prejudging Brisebois is idiotic.

much noise about nothing imo.

Should have kept luongo =(

5.3... Absolute robbery for an elite goalie.

By the time the prospects are ready to take over and make us a real contender again, Luongo will be on the front porch with greying hair and entertaining his grandkids. Moving Luongo was necessary to advance the team plan to get younger, faster and grittier. I am happy with the return for Luongo considering that he basically handcuffed the trade by only giving the thumbs up on a Florida trade.

You know I don't understand all you we should have kept Lou... Or kess. They didn't want to be here and we moved them, unhappy players are bad for the room and should be moved.

Trading Cory was a huge mistake by MG because he and everyone else knew that Lou wanted out, lucky for us we got a gem in Bo and we were able to sign miller.

You guys have all your ex girlfriends chained up in your basement? It's just not a healthy environment to have unhappy workers, it sours everyone.

This exactly. Luongo and Kesler both needed to go, because neither wanted to be here. It showed in their play too. The biggest mistake was definitely trading Schnieder. I love Horvat, but that was a stupid blunder by MG that's really set us back heavily in net, hence why we have Miller...

Luongo deal was fair, there was no market for him. Blame our coaches/GM for that whole mess. Schneider should have been traded at the deadline in 2011. Getting a solid forward or D that could have replaced any of our many injured players might have gotten us the cup.

Schneider trade got us Horvat. Good deal.

Kesler, when you trade the best player involved in a deal you usually will get hosed. We got ripped off hard in that trade. Just a god awful return for one of the best 2 way centers in the league.

Bieksa, I was very happy to get a 2nd. One of my fav canucks of all time but his best days are a couple of years behind him.

Lack, minimal return compared to the majority of other backups traded over last few years. Lack should be our starter. Not $6 million old man Miller.

Kassian. Never been a fan of his, but to give him up AND a 3rd for an old 4th liner is puzzling and infuriating.

Bonino. Fair trade to get Sutter. But giving up on Bonino so fast only shows how badly we got robbed in the Kesler deal.

So. Overall we did ok in some trades, got ripped off in others. Definitely didn't win any of them. I would rate the return we got a 4/10.

I always cheer for these guys, but I agree with the above, we got robbed in a couple of deals. To give up Kassian AND a 3rd for a 31 year old fourth liner. Big ouch. And to get only a third and a seventh round pick for your young starting goalie clearly on the way up. I'll never understand the Lack deal. What we got for Kesler was nearly comical if I wasn't a Canuck fan. Management basically admitted how bad they blew that one by showing how satisfied they were to trade Bonino so quickly. Getting Sutter worked out well though. At this moment these deals look very bad, only if some of the drafts turn into something good can these trades be accepted.

You know I don't understand all you we should have kept Lou... Or kess. They didn't want to be here and we moved them, unhappy players are bad for the room and should be moved.

Trading Cory was a huge mistake by MG because he and everyone else knew that Lou wanted out, lucky for us we got a gem in Bo and we were able to sign miller.

You guys have all your ex girlfriends chained up in your basement? It's just not a healthy environment to have unhappy workers, it sours everyone.

how did you know?

Good return overall. We haven't really determined whether all the acquisitions will pan out till we see how Sutter performs. I'm sure he'll do fine. I regret the Luongo trade the most. He was criticized by fans every time. Even though he had bad games he always bounced back and got our attention. 2011 was his year. He brought the Canucks there. We just came within a game of winning. But with our retooling underway I hope Lu and his panthers can prevail, make the playoffs and win the cup.

Unless McCann and Markstrom reach their potential, no not really.

I do like the Schneider-Horvat trade though. He's going to be one of the best centers in the league in his prime imo.

Schneider would just be wasted here since we won't be ready to compete for a while and we probably couldn't get a better return unless we trade within the division.

So we'd be like the New Jersey Devils? That's frightening to think lol.

Agreed, but the NHL is the real winner here. Bieksa, is well known as a huge personality in Vancouver and has great comedy value. However, he has been hidden in a small market (Vancouver). The NHL will now be able to capitalize on his personality in the largest market the NHL has to work with. Watch for increased Bieksa content on NHL.com in 2015-16.

:lol: ...I'd like to hear your opinion on what a 'hockey mad' market is..

If you look at the original pieces in this deal

Kesler

Forsling

2nd

for

Sutter

Sbisa

McCann

3rd

Considering where Kesler was at in his career, his contract status, and his NTC I think the end result isn't looking too bad. We got a young center for now, a young center for the future, and a serviceable D-man who is still only 25.

If you look at the history of big trades involving star players, there's alot of examples of these trades amounting to very little return. Taking the Kessel trade for example, if Kapanen ends up beign a dud, that trade is a nightmare for the Leafs.

Hopefully McCann pans out, i think he will, when all is said and done I think the return is decent. Don't like that Benning gave up Forsling however, that sleeper transaction might come back to haunt him.

Player for player the deals are solid but i think we all can agree the draft picks that are being thrown in to 'sweeten the deal' seems to be a inexperienced management group getting taken advantage of.

He's gotten deals done in a league where that is hard to do. He's gotten players that other teams were interested in. How do you not see the fallacious logic of this utterly baseless assumption? In lieu of answer, I'll assume that you find things compelling when everyone is saying them.

Archived