The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Luongo, Schneider, Kesler, Bieksa, Lack = Markstrom, Horvat, Sbisa, Sutter, Dorsett, McCann, 3rd, 3rd, 7th

Zuongo

What I see is: Luongo, Schneider, Kesler, Bieksa, Lack = Early 1st, Late 1st, Late first/early 2nd (Sutter if we were to trade at the deadline), NHL ready possible starting goaltender, Grit who can play, Depth D project under 25, 3rd, 3rd, 7th. 15 million in cap space, 3 fewer No Trade Clauses and two less people who don't want to be on our team.

You need a couple more years to make judgment on the Schneider and Luongo trades? Regardless of circumstances, we got ripped off in the Kesler deal. I'd rather have an unhappy Kesler than just give him away to a conference rival.

How can you say regardless of circumstances..?..The real circumstance of a player with an NTC, only agreeing to be traded to one team is an all encompassing one.. .With no bidding war,there was no way we were going to reap a massive return for him..Benning did the right thing in unloading Kesler IMO...unhappy players should be removed from the squad ASAP.....

If McCann becomes a legit NHL'er ,...I would be happy with this deal.

In 4yrs

Edler-32

Tanev-28

Sbisa-31

Bartowski-31

Corrado

Hutton

Subban

Tryamkin

Brisebois

Pedan

We have depth, we just need that 1D!!

You're right but if that's the Canucks top 4 in 4 years, there'll be no run for a cup.

I would like to think that Benning will make a big move for D within a year.

Unless McCann and Markstrom reach their potential, no not really.

I do like the Schneider-Horvat trade though. He's going to be one of the best centers in the league in his prime imo.

Schneider would just be wasted here since we won't be ready to compete for a while and we probably couldn't get a better return unless we trade within the division.

Good thing Schneider is wasting away in NJ!

I'm excited for this guy. Perfect example of how stats don't tell the story on a player. The Titans were the second worst team in the entire CHL last year. Absolutely horrible club. Love to see this guy develop in our system soon.

Hopefully he is traded to a contender later this season. Would love to see what he can do with skilled players.

That's putting it mildly. Our forwards look decent going forward. But our back end for the future looks grim. Corrado and...?

Maybe it just looks grim to you because you've got no idea about our D prospects. I would argue Hutton was the main reason for McNally and Clendening being moved. I can not wait to see what he does in Utica next year.

Corrado is massively underrated after sitting in Utica for a couple seasons. Subban is a boom or bust player with a ton of talent. Cederholm, Tryamkin and Pedan all provide a solid combo of size, grit and mobility. Then there is Brisebois who could be a total package.

We only need a couple of these guys to work out for us to be in a good position.

Maybe it just looks grim to you because you've got no idea about our D prospects. I would argue Hutton was the main reason for McNally and Clendening being moved. I can not wait to see what he does in Utica next year.

Corrado is massively underrated after sitting in Utica for a couple seasons. Subban is a boom or bust player with a ton of talent. Cederholm, Tryamkin and Pedan all provide a solid combo of size, grit and mobility. Then there is Brisebois who could be a total package.

We only need a couple of these guys to work out for us to be in a good position.

How much choice did we have about McNally?

Hutton is a fine prospect. I think he'll make it, perhaps 2knd pairing? At 24ish, its highly unlikely he is the next Norris trophy winner. He would have surfaced much earlier and in a much bigger way if he was a true blue chip talent. But he played well, in a good program (albeit on a poor team last year) against mature age players. With speed, skills, size and most fundamentals covered.

The key question, and that there is one again suggests no sure fire top liner, is whether he knows the defensive side of playing NHL hockey as opposed to just a roamer with the puck. Hutton did not answer that question in college the way a Danny Dekeyser did.

We only need a couple of these guys to work out to have sufficient depth. Because none are grade A prospects. We do in fact need Pedan or Tryamkin to work out. And it will be years before a big guy drafted next year or Brisbois, who is paper thin, is ready. And we don't even have competitive NHL size defensively on the main squad. We also need a Hutton, or Subban, his question is size, to squeeze through hoops that confront them. As we definitely need a guy on the back end who can handle the puck better than what we have now. There, yes, could be solutions to all our problems in a long list of quality B prospects who have questions to answer.

But we could also just start drafting / acquiring guys who have less questions. It would have been better to have a Josh Morrisey, Theodore, Severson or Griffin Reinhert in the wings. Much more sure bets...

I think you have to take it all in context. We would have lost Kesler for nothing if we hadn't made a trade. We were also hamstrung thanks to NTC on a few deals.

I think we did fairly well all circumstances considered. The Lack trade is the only one I really disliked, but I understood it.

I know about all of our prospects and if you think our d prospects are an elite group your smoking something funny. Our forward group looks great minus a 1C but we need 2 top 4 d prospects badly. Then we would be in great shape.

I know about all of our prospects and if you think our d prospects are an elite group your smoking something funny. Our forward group looks great minus a 1C but we need 2 top 4 d prospects badly. Then we would be in great shape.

I think we're just missing one top D myself.

3 starting goaltenders should be able to get us more return, but I suppose in hindsight these trades (except for the Lack one) aren't too bad. Luongo was still a top-10 NHL goalie when we traded him, Schneider was IMO a top-5 goaltender and still is (just playing on a rubbish team) and Lack is probably a top-20 goalie in this league, a starter on bad teams but a backup on most playoff teams.

3 starting goaltenders should be able to get us more return, but I suppose in hindsight these trades (except for the Lack one) aren't too bad. Luongo was still a top-10 NHL goalie when we traded him, Schneider was IMO a top-5 goaltender and still is (just playing on a rubbish team) and Lack is probably a top-20 goalie in this league, a starter on bad teams but a backup on most playoff teams.

Lack is a backup on a terrible Carolina team and had an awful 3.03 GAA and .886 SV % in the playoffs. If I was trading for a goalie this offseason I'd go hard for Talbot or go cheap and get Neimi. I think Lack was fairly valued but Lehner and Jones were vastly overvalued by two fools. Having said that, if Markstrom could have been traded for a 1st, that trade should have been made.

Archived