The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is there room for Rockin Ronnie?

Mattrek

I kinda doubt that Virtanen will make it past 9 games this season anyways. As much as we all hope he is going to put on a show at camp and make the team, very few players his age stick for more than 9 games. Horvat is more of an exception and so I won't be surprised if Ronnie is going to get a hold of games this year. If Virtanen does make the team we still have injuries and will need someone to fill in for those anyways. Doubt Ronnie spends much time in Utica.

I hope so he was one of the most exciting players down the stretch. All his crashing into the boards with people, his scoring chances, and his play with Horvat. :)

Kenins was prob my fav player down the stretch leading into the playoffs. Obv Following horvat was fun too. Guys got so much talent. So ya hope he is back and maybe playing again with Horvat. Kenins has that deceptive wrist shot that fooled quite a few goalies.

MSN sports thinks the Canucks will be one of the worst teams next year. Ronny Kenins will have a breakout year though.

Honestly, Where do they get these writers.

http://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/nhl/whos-due-to-break-out-in-2015-16/ss-BBljGYb?ocid=spartandhp#image=29

Lol with absolute zero substance. And of all people they pick Kenins to be the break out star for us this year. Good lord. If these writers had an ounce of insight in our team they'd see he's quite possibly going to play a good percentage in the A. Just wow.

Teach him to play center and Vey can ride the pine While Kenins Dorsett and Prust lay the body.

Love the idea. And Prust has played Centre in the past, so for Willie it's a no-brainer to at least visit the idea in the pre-season. Do it, Willie.

I just love what Kenins brings to the table! He's a little tank out there! He was on pace for a 30+ point year too. More Kenins!

Likely depend on if Virtanen can earn 9 games and from there if he shows enough to stay up. Though Kenins could be a spare in that instance as well.

Wouldn't surprise me in the least to have them swapped in/out of the 4th line and spare slots until the WJC to extend Virt's 9 games and make a decision from there.

If not, Kenins can go have a large role in Utica and be a primary call up option until the deadline and hopefully Higgins a Vrbata being moved.

There is almost always someone injured or benched for some reason... Even without Kass on the team, lol. There will be more room in the lineup then you think.

Consensus on CDC maybe.

JB is on record as saying, never say never > a trade may surface, but he is happy with the line up as is. Including on D.For the second year in a row, I am happy with activities as a whole over the summer.

But pissed that our D appears to be being neglected. And there is no stated urgency or importance mentioned about improving the D. I am all over CDC liking Bartkowski. But unhappy that he is our signature D acquisition. If he was our 6th or 7th guy; great! Signing a top 4 guy (appears where he is slotted in) who is sub 200 lbs and has just 24 NHL points and no goals is not exactly exciting. JB is not demonstrating that he wants our D as a force to be reckoned with!

Do I take that seriously? Last year he said he was set. And he was set.

As is common; you seem to nail assessments exactly where I put them.

Elvis, when not moderating for once, is pretty spot on here as well. With us going down to 7 D, there is room for Kenins & Jake on the team as is. But where not playing a lot, Ronnie can still play top minutes on the farm to continue to give his development legs. Playing off their actual minutes is a perfect way to asses. Add the always expected injuries, and there is definitely room.

And buys us time to secure a D man by trade ( :wacko: as if we should expect )...

I think these three comments pretty much cover the situation. There is room for both Virtanen and Kenins on the 23 man roster given that the Canucks will apparently carry 7 Ds and 14 forwards.

Also, on average at least one forward is out at any given time due to injury. Last year, Bo was injured to start the season and both Richardson and Kassian missed big chunks of the season due to injury, and Burrows missed 12 games. And various other guys missed a few games here and there, including Bonino and Vrby. Overall, more than 90 games were missed by forwards due to injury, and I think the Canucks actually had a pretty fortunate year with forward injuries. In fact, the average number of games lost per full time player in the NHL has been calculated to be 8.8 games per season. Multiplied by 12 forwards this comes to an expected value of about 106 games per season for forwards.

The 13th man will get a lot of playing time. And the 14th man will also play quite a lot.

I think Jake will start the season, get his 9 games and go back to Junior. I think Ronnie starts as 13th man and gets plenty of action as the season progresses. And I think Grenier comes up at some point in the year and gets in some playing time.

Also, given that the Canucks do not have a lot of depth and might move Vey to RW at some point, it would not surprise me to see Cassels get in a few games if he plays well in Utica.

And Grenier and Cassels are particularly likely to see playing time if the Canucks trade Vrby and/or Higgy at the deadline.

I think the assessment is accurate. Benning has said that he expects to run 14 forwards and 7 defense since giving up Clendening in the Sutter trade.

The line up is fairly clear except the 13th and 14th forwards. There will be some serious competition amongst the candidates for these 2 spots.

Kenins has a new one way contract so is likely to make the team. After that you can't rule out Virtanen or Grenier. Gaunce, Friesen and Jones are long shots. Also Cassels and McCann have outside chances to make the jump directly from junior.

I also wouldn't rule out Biega being a call up at some point.

Benning must be looking for another defenseman. I think that since trading for the 26 year old Sutter who he considers to be a foundational player, he expects the Canucks to be competitive sooner rather than later. In other words, well before Sutter's new contract expires in 2020-21 and likely before any drafted defenseman may contribute in a meaningful way. I couldn't say who he might be trading for.

Where did i say its not movable? Stranger things have happened. Only an idiot thinks management doesn't want to move him.

Obviously management doesn't want to move him. He's a second line winger with a bargain contract. Any team close to the cap would be interested in him if he were available.

Looking at some man games lost numbers. The Canucks are 10th over the last 5 years, and ranked 2nd for man games lost impact on team.

Last year we did much better than normal at 221 man games lost. in 2010-2011 we had 360. that is 4.5 players, which 5 additional players outside of the starting lineup would play almost an entire season.

Kenins is probably 13th on the depth chart. He will get a lot of playing time.

Maybe I should've asked if he would be a regular 3rd or 4th line guy day in and day out, that's more what I was asking. He'd definitely be the first for a call up or be an extra man, but without injuries do you guys think he'd make the squad every game barring injuries? With how he played last year I'd really like to see him Horvat and Hansen together again. That line was magical and could make a huge goal chance out of nothing. They had a ton of chemistry together, but unfortunately I don't think that'll happen. Thoughts?

Obviously management doesn't want to move him. He's a second line winger with a bargain contract. Any team close to the cap would be interested in him if he were available.

Please don't call Higgins a second line winger...I beg this of you. No disrespect to the player and potential to thrive as a role player but he does little to excite me when placed in a scoring role.

As for Kenins, he will likely start the year in the AHL since he still is waiver exempt and probably be the first player called up.

He's doesn't put up enough numbers to justify his soft play, I can't see Benning wanting him because of it, I know he has other skills but he shys away from hit opportunities to often. Anyway we'll see.

Archived