The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is there room for Rockin Ronnie?

Mattrek

Once Benning is done this team is going to be alot of fun to watch and with the youth like Rockin Ronnie (Good nic) Horvat (Who's a bull on skates) Virtanen, Cassels, Shinkarek strong on their skates, hard on the puck this team wont be a pushover physically anymore.

Cant wait until Higgins is gone.
Last years version anyway.

Maybe he'll decide to focus on his game this season and not his new baby.

rather just see him gone and a spot opened up for a youngin with hunger.
If Vey isn't in the gym every day lifting he can leave too.
Wouldn't mind seeing 6"5 Grenier get a promotion either as long as he comes into camp in the best shape of his life.

Sedin-Sedin-Virtanen

Burrows-Sutter-Vrbata
Baerschi-Horvat-Dorsett
Prust-Vey-Grenier
Kenins, Gaunce

It seems like he's the odd man out this year, but I was very impressed with his game play last year. Especially with Horvat those two were an awesome pairing. I think he's proved himself a very capable NHL player and deserves to be in, but who would he replace? Do you think we have room for him on the roster this season?

He'll be in the press box waiting for his opportunity.

Higgins is the most indifferent player the Nucks have had in years. He could not care less whether the Canucks are a contender or not. Look at the Sedins, Tanev and Horvat on the flipside. You see it in their game every single shift. All they want to do is win for this city and make the team better. You can tell that losing eats away at them. They play with a vested interest. Higgins does not, and has never.

At least Kenins showed desire, grit and was not pushed around like a rag doll like Vey. Vey got minutes at the start of the year and PP time he didn't earn because WD had him in junior others had to earn time. Now because Vey has to go on the "wire" sounds like he is given a spot just like Barts for the same reason? JB said the players had to earn a spot but some are just given a spot because of being "Waiver Wire" eligible.

It's essentially Burrows and Higgins fighting for ice time against Vey, Baertschi and Jensen in the top-6.

Then there's Dorsett, Prust and Hansen fighting for ice time against Shinkaruk, Virtanen (not going to happen), Kenins and Gaunce in the bottom-6.

I think Baertschi is going to outplay one of the veterans and take the 2nd line left wing spot.

I think Kenins is going to outplay a bunch of people for about 10 games and then end up in the press box due to inconsistency.

I think Higgins and Burrows both stick due to consistency.

Simply put, the kids are faster and more skilled, the veterans are more consistent. At the end of the day, the coaches and management want consistency. If any one of those kids can CONSISTENTLY provide offence, jump, hits and hard backchecking, then they'll have earned a full time roster spot.

Here's what I'd love to see next season:

Sedin - Sedin - Vbrata

Baertschi - Sutter - Burrows

Kenins - Horvat - Hansen

Shinkaruk - Vey - Dorsett

Higgins

Prust

That would mean that Shinkaruk and Kenins have played fantastically, hit hard and scored consistently. Unfortunately, I doubt that happens. Here's what I think we'll actually see:

Sedin - Sedin - Vbrata

Baertschi - Sutter - Burrows

Dorsett - Horvat - Hansen

Higgins - Vey - Prust

I hope the bottom-6 would be something along the lines of:

Kenins - Horvat - Dorsett

Placeholder - Prust - Hansen

Creating a 3A and a 3B line.

Nothing against Hansen, just his versatility is his strength and having Dorsett should be on a different line from Prust to add more "deterrent" on other lines.

The defense definitely still needs work but I think he's waiting for the opportunity to do it. Myself I wouldn't have been too cool with him jumping the gun and signing a big name this year. I wasn't too thrilled with the crop. I'm not betting on contending right away anyways so locking into a dman just to urgently improve could hurt us 2 or 3 years down the road.. Or force us to pass on a golden dougie Hamilton opportunity, should one come up.

I'm not sold on our D at all but I'm willing to be patient until the right trade or signing comes along. Saying that, I firmly believe we'll have a huge addition by this time next year, if not sooner.

^^^

Our top 3 is solid. Hamhuis just needs the right player to mix with him. Bartkowski and Sbisa on the bottom pairing could be a little scary if Weber slots in with Hamhuis on the second pairing.

Corrado could really impress. He reminds me of Tanev in his playing style. Seems very calm and poised. Him being a right hander might give him that edge to take that 6 spot.

It's just hard to figure what our lineup defensively is going to look like. Assuming Sbisa is a lock because of his pricey extension, might look as follows:

Edler - Tanev

Hamhuis - Weber

Sbisa - Bartkowski

Corrado

I struggle thinking about Corrado earning his way in though, considering the trade for Bartkowski. I'll admit I don't know enough about the guy to gauge his play. I avoid anything Boston lol. Anybody describe his play style for me? I never like relying purely on stats when analyzing a player.

EDIT: realized I didn't post a thought on Kenins... I loved what he brought to the team last year. Reminded me of Hansen a bit actually. Wheels, tenacious, decent finish. I think our team definitely could use his speed and I want to see Higgins traded at some point to make room for him, allowing whomever is playing best in Utica to move up.

Played great when first got called up and then lost his game. Despite what was said above was distinctly average in the playoffs. Liked him, lots of hope for the future but looks like 13-14th forward this year and could spend significant time on Comets. In the long run I think will be a good bottom six player but needs more seasoning to develop consistency.

Definitely a Benning type player and should hopefully continue develop between Canucks and Comets this season. Will be sitting behind Prust, Dorsett, Higgins and Hansen on the bottom six winger depth chart and maybe Virt and Grenier as well.

Higgins is the most indifferent player the Nucks have had in years. He could not care less whether the Canucks are a contender or not. Look at the Sedins, Tanev and Horvat on the flipside. You see it in their game every single shift. All they want to do is win for this city and make the team better. You can tell that losing eats away at them. They play with a vested interest. Higgins does not, and has never.

Seriously? Do you even know what "vested interest" means?

It has more to do with pension plans than players' attitudes.

And how would you know who the "most indifferent player" is?

What is that anyway; a qualifier for some character in some juvenile role-playing game?

This is pro sports; these are professionals with millions of dollars at stake and life-altering physical contact at risk.

Looking at the Sedins, Tanev, and Horvat does not prove anything about Higgins, even in comparison.

Look at Higgins' play if you want to learn about Higgins, e.g. his hit on Chara in the finals.

I think Higgins could be traded even with his NTC and JB's "Glue Guy" evaluation on record.

My reasoning for this is the way he laboured to reach top speed which was merely adequate even when attained.

Please don't get me wrong, I have liked Higgins from the time we acquired him but imo we need to keep improving team speed.

We need to give to get and I would keep Burrows and Hansen over Higgins for this reason.

And, back on topic, Rockin Ronnie can flat out fly, and fits right in on our new faster team.

We have a nice crop of forwards for training camp when the wheat will be sifted from the chaff.

After that, waiver-eligibility and AHL-eligibility will likely be the dominant considerations as to who makes the roster to start the season.

Also, I do not believe JB is finished.

His comments about the team being happy with the team as is were preceded by, "If we do not make any more changes".

Like many others have pointed out, it is not at forward that we need much more improvement at least that cannot come from within.

It is on defense where we have to acquire top end draft picks, top end prospects, and NHL-Ready depth.

A big, physical #1/2 defenseman would be very nice, of course, but I doubt the right deal is out there.

We probably will not sell the farm to get a number 1-2 D nor waste money on over-priced top FAs.

But we are going to have injuries on D and I cannot imagine JB has finished stocking the shelves for that eventuality.

Even if a couple prospects surprise us with much-improved play, it will not take much to burn through the very thin NHL-Ready depth.

If Higgins would waive his NTC, or provide a list of teams, he would be a valuable piece in a trade for a top 4 RHD to push Weber down the roster.

In my opinion, this defenseman would have to have good size and grit to balance out the soft play of Edler, Tanev, Hamhuis, and Weber.

Maybe Higgins, Jensen, Andersson, and a swap of picks for ???

Ronalds Kenins: 6-foot, 201 pounds, 24 years old, .4 PPG last year, very fast, heavy hitter, $600,000 contract = 4LW on this year's Canucks, imo, if Higgins is traded and = Proust at 4-5LW if we keep Higgy.

Archived