The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jordan Subban | D

X-Man

1 hour ago, alfstonker said:

If his defence is suspect then making him a winger won't help him into the show - why do you think Goldy is being ignored just now?

Playing defense as a forward is a lot different than playing defense as a defenseman.

5 hours ago, combover said:

+/- is fine to use as an arguement but it should be noted

jalen chatfield is the only plus dman +3 and has zero points

wiercoat and his 2gp is even.

Saunter 11gp is even and has 1point 

subban 8gp -4 and 1 point.

Evan M 9gp -3 and 6 points

GB 9gp -3 and 1point 

holm 11gp -4 and 8points

subban seems status quo for farm hands 

Megna is a -7 yet gets rewarded with a call up and even dressed.

Canucks need to cut him loose let him have a fresh start somewhere else I don’t know if he’ll ever be an nhler but it’s clear he’ll never be a Canuck.

on a side note the Utica Comets website is awful. 

Their website is indeed awful.  The problem with Subban is that he is in his third pro year now and sadly has not improved.  McEneny draws the big defensive assignments, so minus three is more understandable.  By comparison I imagine Subban is protected in that manner, so his minus is far less justified.  Chatfield is very interesting, both in the young stars and pre-season, he excelled - to me, he looks to have very pro game. I think one day he is likely to play in Vancouver.

13 hours ago, dpn1 said:

Playing defense as a forward is a lot different than playing defense as a defenseman.

Agreed it is not the same position but if anything getting back to defend requires a lot of defensive instincts and a lot of the same anticipation and concentration. Subban seems to get lost in the moment and that leads to poor positioning and putting his line mates in difficulties. It not just his lack of size, after all there are quite a few small defensemen.

41 minutes ago, alfstonker said:

Agreed it is not the same position but if anything getting back to defend requires a lot of defensive instincts and a lot of the same anticipation and concentration. Subban seems to get lost in the moment and that leads to poor positioning and putting his line mates in difficulties. It not just his lack of size, after all there are quite a few small defensemen.

I think it might be easier for him to learn the defensive side as a winger.  thus putting his scoring ability to work as a forward.

On 11/10/2017 at 8:25 PM, UticaHockey said:

And Subban was a healthy scratch again tonight. The 4th time in 12 games.  Stick a fork in him.....

When I look at his stats (lack of) and how many times he's been scratched this season, and look back at how determined he said he was to show in camp and push his way onto the team, its making me think that he's mentally broken. Currently at least

The kid has the talent, but can't quite seem to fix those little issues in his game that are preventing him from taking the next step.

1 hour ago, VegasCanuck said:

When I look at his stats (lack of) and how many times he's been scratched this season, and look back at how determined he said he was to show in camp and push his way onto the team, its making me think that he's mentally broken. Currently at least

The kid has the talent, but can't quite seem to fix those little issues in his game that are preventing him from taking the next step.

As a defence man being able to play defence is not a "little issue".  

3 assists tonight and second star honours in the Comets' 7-1 win.

Now has 4 points (4A) in 10 games.

Which sure sounds a hell of a lot better than 1 point in 9 games.

Glad to see Jordan have a big game. And from most reports, he played pretty solidly (other than a couple hiccups) at both ends.

Here's hoping he builds from here and turns this season around.

6 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

...in a good way?

Subban invisible defensively is a good thing compared to what he was.  Unfortunately, McEneny had to get hurt to get him back in the lineup.  Maybe he needs that kind of pressure to make him better.  We have a lot of young talent in Utica this year.  In previous years they tended to use a lot of veterens on the D.  Last night, Subban (22), Sautner (23), Holm (25), Brisebois (20), Chatfield (21), and Sifers (34) - Sifers the only vet.  Hurt: McEneny (23) - probably our best D in Utica.  Also up, but watching: Cederholm (22) - nice problem to have.  They won 7-1.  Demko was good.  Megna and Chaput were good, Boucher and Goldobin stood out skillwise, Cassels is much improved.  Carcone is a tough little nut.  Archibald injured.  Rodin hurt.  

If we want to keep playing him as a defenceman, we need to cut the cord for him to just leave. 

He has proven time and time again that he will never be Ryan Ellis. He is nowhere near that level of proficiency on defense. I've seen the film, he looks totally lost most of the time when he doesn't have the puck. Its absolutely unreal. 

Which makes me wonder why we've never tried him as a winger. We've done this with a couple of other dmen in the past, Yannick Weber being a comparable example. 

I used to be a Subban apologist and seeked to defend him from the trolls, but he is just fresh meat out there under the troll bridge. 

5 hours ago, Horvats_Big_Head said:

If we want to keep playing him as a defenceman, we need to cut the cord for him to just leave. 

He has proven time and time again that he will never be Ryan Ellis. He is nowhere near that level of proficiency on defense. I've seen the film, he looks totally lost most of the time when he doesn't have the puck. Its absolutely unreal. 

Which makes me wonder why we've never tried him as a winger. We've done this with a couple of other dmen in the past, Yannick Weber being a comparable example. 

I used to be a Subban apologist and seeked to defend him from the trolls, but he is just fresh meat out there under the troll bridge. 

Or put another way, maybe some others had more insight into his o/a game and said as much. Why is it that someone's honest opinion about "some shiny new pin up boy" is seen as trolling? 

If these people you are calling trolls gave honest reasons then I don't see how their opinion should be any less than yours. After all how do you think these players get draft positions in the first place?

I'm not getting at you but on a personal basis I have never seen what all the fuss is about regarding Subban.

I doubt we would have touched him if he hadn't had the Subban label given that Will Boucher was 2 places lower and Tucker Poolman 12 places lower a 6'-3" 210 UND student playing against men looked just as promising and is being tipped to add to his 3 NHL games already with the Jets.

Personally, I would try to package him to Nashville or Montreal for some big forward with potential.

20 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

Give a kid a break and trade him to a team that'll actually give him a shot.  Depth is one thing, a log jam of players is another. 

He becomes a RFA after this season and will be waiver eligible.  It's anyone's guess what the Canucks will do about him.  My guess is that if there is any interest in him, he'll be traded.  Otherwise, it will be much the same as this season (in Utica ) or not re-signed and he becomes a UFA.

On 04/03/2016 at 5:51 PM, LaBamba said:

If you can't hurt people you shouldn't be a defensemen. 

That is my closing argument. 

If you can't play defence, you shouldn't play defence - which is Subban's problem.

On 06/03/2016 at 2:28 PM, ohmy said:

Kids been improving all year long. I don't doubt with the right defensive partner he will succeed in the NHL. As he gets older he'll get stronger and smarter while using his positioning, agility, and an active stick to overcome his height deficiency. I don't see any reason he wont be a more offensive Biega. 

No he hasn't, he has been terrible all year long until the TEAM beat up on another team.  The puck wasn't in the Comets end long enough to test anybody defensively.  The reason he hasn't been playing much is that he didn't earn a spot.  The only thinkg that got him back in was the injury to McEneny - who outplayed Subban in both ends of the rink and on special teams.  To get into the line-up, Subban had to be better than somebody, and he wasn't better than somebody until there was an injury - and this is in the AHL, not the NHL.  The problem with Subban is not his size - Stetcher is small, and it's not that management hates him - after all, Stetcher won a job - the difference being that Stetcher can play a modicum of D - unlike Subban, and that Stetcher sees the ice better and passes better.

Subban will get a shot at being in the best six D at Utica, when he earns it.  He'll get a shot at the NHL if and when he earns that.

4 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

If you can't play defence, you shouldn't play defence - which is Subban's problem.

No he hasn't, he has been terrible all year long until the TEAM beat up on another team.  The puck wasn't in the Comets end long enough to test anybody defensively.  The reason he hasn't been playing much is that he didn't earn a spot.  The only thinkg that got him back in was the injury to McEneny - who outplayed Subban in both ends of the rink and on special teams.  To get into the line-up, Subban had to be better than somebody, and he wasn't better than somebody until there was an injury - and this is in the AHL, not the NHL.  The problem with Subban is not his size - Stetcher is small, and it's not that management hates him - after all, Stetcher won a job - the difference being that Stetcher can play a modicum of D - unlike Subban, and that Stetcher sees the ice better and passes better.

Subban will get a shot at being in the best six D at Utica, when he earns it.  He'll get a shot at the NHL if and when he earns that.

Took you over a year to quote me lol. I still think he has a chance to be a player but likely not here. Or maybe I over estimated his hockey iq.  I don't know but I can't be right about every opinion or I'd probably be a GM somewhere.

12 hours ago, ohmy said:

Took you over a year to quote me lol. I still think he has a chance to be a player but likely not here. Or maybe I over estimated his hockey iq.  I don't know but I can't be right about every opinion or I'd probably be a GM somewhere.

His IQ is what holds him back. He doesn't know how to make the right decision in his own end... That's a huge hurdle. 

Archived