The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Jim Slater

I'll preface this by saying that I'm not happy with allowing Vey to center the 4th line. I'd prefer Vey not get in the lineup at all, but definitely not on the 4th. He's too soft and his skillset quite honestly isn't suited to the role. That being said, why not bring in Jim Slater for a year?

• Good in the faceoff circle
  • Decent skater
  • Hard worker
  • Proven ability to play on the 4th line.
  • Considered a positive influence off the ice.

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows

Higgins-Sutter-Vrbata

Baertschi-Horvat-Virtanen

Prust-Slater-Dorsett

Hansen

Hansen can slate in if Virtanen isn't ready. Thoughts?

I'll preface this by saying that I'm not happy with allowing Vey to center the 4th line. I'd prefer Vey not get in the lineup at all, but definitely not on the 4th. He's too soft and his skillset quite honestly isn't suited to the role. That being said, why not bring in Jim Slater for a year?

• Decent skater
  • Hard worker

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows

Higgins-Sutter-Vrbata

Prust-Slater-Dorsett

Hansen

I don't mind the addition of a Chipchura, Goc, Slater, etc....I just don't see Hansen being the odd man out if Virtanen makes the team.

I kind of outlined my thoughts on why I think Slater should be given a PTO in the PTO thread:

Another 32-year-old who played in Winnipeg last year. After pacing for 20-25 points per season between 2008-2012, he was a sought after 4th liner, but then spent the next two seasons playing a combined 52 games. Last year, he played 82 but didn't bounce back to form, scoring only 13 points and Winnipeg has decided not to re-sign him. Although the Canucks are by no means desperate for a 4th line C, on a very small contract, Slater might be able to battle for a spot there. At 6'0/200 pounds, he's a solid 4th liner who can play both ends of the ice at best—and a decent 4th liner who can hold his own at worst.

I'm not too stoked on the idea of Vey playing 4th line center either, but if he comes back to camp full of desperation for a roster spot, he wouldn't be the worst on Desjardins team (4 line team) either—plus he scored 10 goals last year, which is more than Slater has combined for in the last 3 seasons.

I think giving a guy like Slater, Kopecky, Tyler Kennedy, Malhotra or Goc a PTO and seeing if Vey can outplay them energy and grit-wise during the pre-season is the best route. If he can, then I would say he deserves another shot, and if he can't, then the Canucks have a back-up.

Stephen Weiss would be interesting in that role, too. Even though he was bought-out, he still scored at a .5 PPG pace last year and would bring an interesting dynamic playing between two high-energy players like Prust and Dorsett or Hansen.

or we could give vey a chance or bring up gaunce or cassels.

Or Alex Friesen, who scored a .5 PPG clip last year, including in the playoffs while being a high energy player.

“He was one of our culture guys down there,” Benning said. “Every given night he works hard, he competes. He’s not a big player, but he competes hard for his size, plays physical. He is one of the guys going forward we want our young players to be associated with. And the other part of it is he can be a depth guy for us next year. If we need someone to give us games and energy he is ready for that.”
I don't think a 4th line center is a huge need, but think bringing in 1 or 2 on a PTO would make camp that much more competitive and interesting.

Hansen a healthy scratch???? Hahaha yeah no. He's consistently proven to be a 30-40 point player with tremendous speed, grit, and smart 2-way play. Had 16 goals last year. They will move veterans to make room for young guys like Virtanen like they already said they would. They're not scratching players like Hansen. And no to Slater , Vey is another year older, bigger, and has solid playmaking tools.

Slater should sign with the Sharks.

Marleau-Thornton-Pavelski

M. Karlsson-Couture-Hertl

J. Ward-Tierney-Wingels

Torres-Slater-Nieto

Scratched: Goodrow, B. Smith

Really like the idea of Slater on PTO. He's always subtly impressed me watching Jets games. Plus we can make Saved By The Bell jokes all season.

Ultimately I prefer Vey to take the job, but he needs to earn it. I'd like to see him pushed both by younger guys (Friesen/Cassels) and a vet on a PTO.

alternatively,

Get Us To The Goc.

Ya Goc Ta Be Kidding Me.

Only He Who Holds The Goc May Speak.

and so on

Hansen a healthy scratch???? Hahaha yeah no. He's consistently proven to be a 30-40 point player with tremendous speed, grit, and smart 2-way play. Had 16 goals last year. They will move veterans to make room for young guys like Virtanen like they already said they would. They're not scratching players like Hansen. And no to Slater , Vey is another year older, bigger, and has solid playmaking tools.

Slater should sign with the Sharks.

Marleau-Thornton-Pavelski

M. Karlsson-Couture-Hertl

J. Ward-Tierney-Wingels

Torres-Slater-Nieto

Scratched: Goodrow, B. Smith

I like Hansen and don't want him scratched either. This lineup gives good depth and the odd man out would change depending on who was playing well and who we are playing.

• Decent skater
  • Hard worker

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows

Higgins-Sutter-Vrbata

Prust-Slater-Dorsett

Hansen

Hansen is a better player than all 4 of the bottom 6 wingers, why on Earth would he be scratched in favour of them...

Hansen is a better player than all 4 of the bottom 6 wingers, why on Earth would he be scratched in favour of them...

Realistically he'd be slotting in so much he'd rarely be a healthy scratch anywhere; he can just be plugged into any of those lines and it'll work. I'm going on the assumptiont hat the team wants to give Virt his 9 game

A bigger body centering the 4th line makes us harder to play against, Vey needs to be in the top 6 not the 4th. We need a faceoff player in there not Vey he gets manhandled in the dot.Come playoff time that always hurts us having to chase the puck.

• Decent skater
  • Hard worker

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows

Higgins-Sutter-Vrbata

Prust-Slater-Dorsett

Hansen

Vey is the young gun Prust and Dorsett need to bring out the best in their play : they have someone to protect on their line, they get to teach work effort, they get to feed off of his youth , and they have someone who can get the puck to the net so they can put in the garbage goals. Vey brings balance to 4th line and allows that line more ice time.

Help identifying a player.

He played a couple of seasons ago for St Louis, and the went to Europe. He's a tough, but smaller left handed centre. I thought he was quite a good player, who played with an edge that would do us good, but I can't remember his name.

Help identifying a player.

He played a couple of seasons ago for St Louis, and the went to Europe. He's a tough, but smaller left handed centre. I thought he was quite a good player, who played with an edge that would do us good, but I can't remember his name.

Vladimir sobotka? Didnt he resign with his khl team or something

Vladimir sobotka? Didnt he resign with his khl team or something

Yup Sobotka, loved him. Sneaky good, someone should Trade for his RFA rights because if he comes back he's s steal for a late pick. And he has no spot in St. Louis anymore with Stastny and Lehtera at Center, then Barbashev and Fabbri banging on the door. Backes may be re-sign, same with Brodziak.

This is another spin on the Vey issue which was beaten to a pulp on his own thread months ago. There was a long article written on the subject as well. http://www.tsn.ca/vey-hopes-off-season-work-leads-to-bounce-back-year-1.332448

The conclusions (in my mind)

1. Benning invested a 2nd round pick in Vey
  2. Vey had a strong AHL history playing for the Manchester Monarchs (one of the better AHL teams and the Kings affiliate). He averaged 1.12 ppg in his final half year (2013-14)
  3. Manchester is very near Boston so Vey has been well scouted by Benning
  4. Vey is an ex-Medicine Hat Tiger and was coached by Willie Dejardins when he won the WHL scoring title in 2010-11 (46-70-116) so Willie has certain knowledge of Vey's character.
  5. Vey had a decent if unspectacular NHL rookie year with Vancouver (10-14-24 -3 in 75 games)

In my opinion, there is nothing from the above summary that would indicate that Vey didn't deserve a shot to make the Canucks. He had some problems adjusting to the NHL game which is not unusual. He earned himself a shot at 3C last year based on his camp play and uncertainty within the line up at the time (remember, Horvat was only expected to get a 9 game try out and be sent back to junior). Many say he was gifted this spot and ice time etc but I disagree. When it wasn't working out, Vey was a healthy scratch and had his ice time cut back and he fell to the bottom of the depth chart (many chose to ignore this).

Strength on the puck is Vey's main issue. He could also improve his speed especially in the first few strides. Most players can only address these issues in the off season when they aren't playing games every other day.

Vey will get another shot. He deserves it. The Canucks deserve to see if he can make the necessary adjustments to his game.

Nobody knows how players will develop. Some do better, some do worse than expected. Personally, I don't see him fitting in long term but he may be a useful piece while we are waiting for the likes of McCann and Cassels to mature. If Vey turns out to be a solid 2C on another team, watch CDC howl.

Archived