The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Want to cancel cable - Canucks games too important

Caniners77

Don't waste your money with NHL gamecenter. The games you want to watch are not available and the games against crappy teams like Florida or Phx are offered.

See my post above. Blackouts shouldn't be an issue this season for Canucks fans. I think you can have up to 4 devices watching at the same time. I'm in a different situation than the OP right now as I moved to Toronto but I absolutely recommend GCL (and I share with my sister who is in Montreal) especially if there are no blackout games this year.

Wouldn't you be able to use a VPN with NHL Gamecenter to be able to watch games that are blacked out?

That would be an interesting thing to try, with at least similar to what is done for getting American Netflix. I don't see why it wouldn't work...

UPDATE !!

First off thanks everyone for all the information. It's nice to see us get along on here for a change

Anyways, a previous poster mentioned calling his provider threatening to cancel if they didn't give him an option, and rather than lose him as a customer, they gave him a sports package. Well, I thought what the hell and called Bell and low and behold, they have a promotion on right now to get basic cable $40 a month (if your new $14.95 for first 3 months) and they are throwing in sportsnet and tsn (HD) for free forever ! I just saved $40 a month and kept my Canucks. I obviously turned around and subscribed to the nfl Sunday ticket to watch the NINERS go undefeated this season (flame away :)

Anyways, there an option my friends... Best of luck !!

Go check into HD rabbit ears, Google TV, Chrome Cast and such. HD Rabbit ears in an urban center you can still pick up essential channels including some sports channels. And google tv apple tv chrome cast etc you may see a lag in the broadcast time but can watch tv just the same.

Initial investment between hd rabbit ears and one of those internet tv options is about $200-$250 but the savings are realized by the 3rd month

I wish there was a business that I knew of that set you up for over the air TV like that. They even have DVRs that you can use. With that for local programming, and Apple TV/Netflix you are mostly covered for television.

I can't wait until HBO in a couple years can bring their streaming service to Canada so that ditching cable completely is even easier.

There are two separate retailers at the PNE marketplace building selling these. One of them was over $300 and another one was under $200. He claims you can get hockey games and PPV's (UFC, WWE) on them. There are also live tv channels you can get like GlobalTV. Basically, whatever is on the internet, you can get.

Android box (mygica atv 1800e) with kodi is all you need. Runs you about 250$. All sports, shows, movies can be streamed om this. It may take some tinkering around to find the best streams but it's worth not paying for cable.

I wish there was a business that I knew of that set you up for over the air TV like that. They even have DVRs that you can use. With that for local programming, and Apple TV/Netflix you are mostly covered for television.

I can't wait until HBO in a couple years can bring their streaming service to Canada so that ditching cable completely is even easier.

Soon man.

Between cable and even the most basic home phone we were paying about 4120 a month...that's 2 prime tickets hotel and food to the Canucks vs Boston game 7 in van 2011 over a year.

Seriously, better things to spend money and and thankfully the change is speeding up. kiss cable goodbye

UPDATE !!

First off thanks everyone for all the information. It's nice to see us get along on here for a change

Anyways, a previous poster mentioned calling his provider threatening to cancel if they didn't give him an option, and rather than lose him as a customer, they gave him a sports package. Well, I thought what the hell and called Bell and low and behold, they have a promotion on right now to get basic cable $40 a month (if your new $14.95 for first 3 months) and they are throwing in sportsnet and tsn (HD) for free forever ! I just saved $40 a month and kept my Canucks. I obviously turned around and subscribed to the nfl Sunday ticket to watch the NINERS go undefeated this season (flame away :)

Anyways, there an option my friends... Best of luck !!

How many sportsnet channel did they give you? Good to hear that you had some success. I'll try this too for my mum. She normally gets the sportsnet package for hockey season, but cancels it during the Offseason.

For over the air digital channels in Vancouver, does anyone here do that? If so, what channels do you get? I've been thinking about it for the last few days. I know there are guides that show possible channels available in Vancouver but I'm not sure how many channels people actually get.

Look around. Theres a hockey streaming website that i use rather than gamecenter or nhl centre ice but cant name on here. Its 100 for 12 months. But the bestt part is it shows every nhl game, ahl, and chl so you can watch canucks, comets and any prospect you want. Stream is good quality and you can choose the broadcast feed so you get shorty announcing. Works on anything you can get on the internet with.

Android box (mygica atv 1800e) with kodi is all you need. Runs you about 250$. All sports, shows, movies can be streamed om this. It may take some tinkering around to find the best streams but it's worth not paying for cable.

you can find m8s boxes that are preloaded on ebay for like $80 from china

hockeystreams.com is what i use rather than gamecenter or nhl centre ice. Its 100 for 12 months. But the bestt part is it shows every nhl game, ahl, and chl so you can watch canucks, comets and any prospect you want. Stream is good quality and you can choose the broadcast feed so you get shorty announcing. Works on anything you can get on the internet with.

This is by far the best streaming option but you better edit your post before a mod checks, your not allowed to talk about better options then center ice on here because this is a NHL page.

Archived