The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Metal detectors being introduced this year... chaos?

DonaldBrashear

I went to 6 games at Rogers Arena last season, but after implementing these new security measures I will not attend anymore Canucks games. I feel it is completely unnecessary and quite insulting. We pride ourselves on being nothing like the USA and we are slowly tilting towards a police state. This is a gradual tactic to ease the transition into such state and make us more comfortable with more security and checkpoints and searches that violate our constitutional rights and freedoms. I never had an interest in posting here but created this account specifically for this post. I can't stress enough how really disappointed I am with the NHL and Vancouver Canucks. FINALLY!! THE ANSWER TO ALL THOSE BOMBINGS, STABBINGS AND MASSIVE GUN VIOLENCE THAT HAS PLAGUED OUR HOCKEY GAMES FOR SO LONG. You just lost a loyal paying customer. Is that what you wanted??

You obviously don't remember Spinner Spencers dad.

Like it or not there are unstable people out there. I was speaking with a co-worker about gun violence and she said that when she moved here there was hardly any gun violence. Now you hear about shootings almost every week. Terrorist bombings seemed like an Ireland issue years ago; now it is a global issue. Assuming that no-one would ever commit violent acts in Rogers Arena is naive. Taking precautions makes sense.

It's your right to boycott Canucks games. The Canucks organization have a right to protect their fans; even if the threat is unlikely.

I guess it's a sign of the times.

Although, a funny story: First time I got to go down to ice level behind the scenes/stands, I stood looking at what I thought was a screening device. Wondered why I hadn't seen it before and if we had to go through it down there and wondered if they had it at airports too. Then saw them line it up at the gate for the official to skate through...their tunnel cover. Fail.

Archived