The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Metal detectors being introduced this year... chaos?

DonaldBrashear

It only takes one crazy to ruin a whole lot of days. And by definition really, no amount of education is going to stop a crazy person.

They've been doing things like bag checks for a long time. Were you OK with those? In a lot of ways, they are far more intrusive on personal space than a metal detector.

Again, this is a private enterprise and not "state-induced". Don't like it, don't go.

So are these people born crazy or is it a part of this system we live in? I do not see any crazy violent people who live in Tibet, or other small tribal states.

We have a mandatory education system here, so for at least 10 years the state is responsible for educating its people, and plenty of research is out there which can predict the likelihood that a young person will have issues down the road. When these individuals are young is when we can implement various interventions. We are so arrogant to classify ourselves as an advanced nation, well maybe technologically, but socially this is not the case.

Poverty, malnutrition, violence, hate etc are quite common here, yet everyone just wants to look at the act rather than the causal factors leading up to it.

We are just too interested in creating winners and losers rather than focusing on communication and acceptance. It is just easier to put up security measures because actually researching the reasons why we have so many issues is just too difficult to comprehend and takes time, planning and research. Doesn't take much time to install metal detectors.....

So are these people born crazy or is it a part of this system we live in? I do not see any crazy violent people who live in Tibet, or other small tribal states.

We have a mandatory education system here, so for at least 10 years the state is responsible for educating its people, and plenty of research is out there which can predict the likelihood that a young person will have issues down the road. When these individuals are young is when we can implement various interventions. We are so arrogant to classify ourselves as an advanced nation, well maybe technologically, but socially this is not the case.

Poverty, malnutrition, violence, hate etc are quite common here, yet everyone just wants to look at the act rather than the causal factors leading up to it.

We are just too interested in creating winners and losers rather than focusing on communication and acceptance. It is just easier to put up security measures because actually researching the reasons why we have so many issues is just too difficult to comprehend and takes time, planning and research. Doesn't take much time to install metal detectors.....

I don't disagree at a fundamental level, but none of these are the NHL's responsibility. They just need to protect themselves from liability by (over)protecting their customers.

I think you are missing my point entirely. What we have here, is business playing at government. Being the nanny we don't need. When was the last time anyone was shot or stabbed at an NHL game in the HUNDREDS OF MILLIONS of gate fares paid since its inception. That's right, none.

No they're not playing government, no one is forcing you to go to the games. If you think it's not needed, fine (I might even agree), but it's not really a huge issue. With all the shootings in the states and all the people so happy to sue they are likely protecting their own interests as much as the fans. Shootings at stabbings also happen at bars and clubs all the time, hockey is a much different environment but you still never know.

Plus I would rather have metal detectors for knives and guns than having them rifle through my bag and taking away harmless items such as water bottles and snacks (sadly both will continue to happen).

Note to the Canucks.

You have just lost me as an, at the game, customer. I will NOT be treated like I am a criminal or potential problem.

I refuse to go through all detectors, I refuse to leave my bag at any stores "customer service' desk.

Either let me in, without treating me like a caged beast or criminal or refuse me entrance, I am fine with either.

I take it you don't go to airports much.

Again, this is a private enterprise and not "state-induced". Don't like it, don't go..

After getting tickets for Lions and Whitecaps only to get groped while walking in peacably like I'd been doing for decades, that's the last time I'll go to any of their games, unless it's into box seats which of course don't get any such violations of their private space. If Canucks are going to pull that now, then I won't be buying their product either.

Perhaps they should install cameras in the bathroom stalls -- you know, for liability protection and to make sure nothing "illegal" goes on. Perhaps they should start swabbing your cheeks or taking blood samples -- you know, to make sure everyone there isn't under the influence of anything that might cause liability concerns. Once you start down the road of tyranny and extirpation of rights and liberties, there literally is no bottom to it.

At some point, people need to make a stand on principle, and decide if they want to be treated like men and women or slaves and cattle. Vote with your $ -- that's what gets business' attention. Or be a peon serf with no self-respect let alone human dignity. Up to you.

After getting tickets for Lions and Whitecaps only to get groped while walking in peacably like I'd been doing for decades, that's the last time I'll go to any of their games, unless it's into box seats which of course don't get any such violations of their private space. If Canucks are going to pull that now, then I won't be buying their product either.

Perhaps they should install cameras in the bathroom stalls -- you know, for liability protection and to make sure nothing "illegal" goes on. Perhaps they should start swabbing your cheeks or taking blood samples -- you know, to make sure everyone there isn't under the influence of anything that might cause liability concerns. Once you start down the road of tyranny and extirpation of rights and liberties, there literally is no bottom to it.

At some point, people need to make a stand on principle, and decide if they want to be treated like men and women or slaves and cattle. Vote with your $ -- that's what gets business' attention. Or be a peon serf with no self-respect let alone human dignity. Up to you.

And right here is the first person to complain when something, hopefully never, does happen.

Pretty soon fans like Deb won't be able to bring in cowbell to games. The terrorists win!

Alarm goes off, Deb shows her cowbell, they say thank you, and she walks in. Cowbell 1, Terrorists 0.

Other scenario, alarm goes off, patron has a knife, denied access, everyone safe.

Oh, the horror.

I wonder why these boxes do not get searched? Wasnt there an assault in one of these suites a few years ago yet nothing was done? Money sure does buy you freedom!

Perfectly put. It's all about pointing the finger inward instead of at someone/something else. When the people achieve a higher conscience/awareness of the root of the problem and stop merely putting bandaids on the SYMPTOMS of the deeper illness is when progress will be made.

How many issues have they had in the past to make this necessary? Just another unnecessary security measure to control everyone.

Yes it is just another unnecessary measure to control everyone until something goes down. Then the masses will be screaming that nothing had been done to keep the public safe when some fool lights the place up with an Uzi. These slaughters are happening all over the world and guys like you pinch out "the control loaf" as though you think it will never happen here. For God's sake man shake your head. This is not about civil rights, it is a safety issue.

They thought they were doing fans a favor by setting up an area downtown in which they could enjoy the 2012 Stanley Cup Playoffs. Well, we all remember the infamous riot so called fans held. Wasn't That A Party to behold and be proud of. How much of the reputation of our fair city was lost as a result of that uncontrolled fiasco and who paid for it?

I dont get it, ticket prices are so high I dont think your average criminal can afford to go to nucks games anymore? Also the riots happened outside the arena, maybe somebody can come up with a policy to use metal detectors on fans outside in the streets? Lets create a petition asap

I think they are more worried about radicals who may try an attack in a very public forum. Like it or not, there are people who hate the west and "christians" in particular. I put christian in quotes because, to some, every westerner is considered christian. Better to be safe than sorry!

Go a little earlier if you want to avoid delays.

Yes it is just another unnecessary measure to control everyone until something goes down. Then the masses will be screaming that nothing had been done to keep the public safe when some fool lights the place up with an Uzi. These slaughters are happening all over the world and guys like you pinch out "the control loaf" as though you think it will never happen here. For God's sake man shake your head. This is not about civil rights, it is a safety issue.

They thought they were doing fans a favor by setting up an area downtown in which they could enjoy the 2012 Stanley Cup Playoffs. Well, we all remember the infamous riot so called fans held. Wasn't That A Party to behold and be proud of. How much of the reputation of our fair city was lost as a result of that uncontrolled fiasco and who paid for it?

I see somebody bought the "for your own good" reason hook, line and sinker. Even if it WAS strictly for safety reasons, do you really believe that if someone did actually decide to bring an Uzi to the game and start mowing people down that a metal detector would stop that?

The metal detector will alarm and he'll just go "ok, you got me", put his weapon down and wait to be arrested? Not likely. More likely will be that he mows down people in line at the metal detectors instead of people in the seats. And that's a huge hypothetical scenario in the first place. Where would it stop?

This whole thing is absurd and plays right into the manifesto for the conditioning of the masses to accept a police state. The exact same thing is being done in the states with the TSA.

I see somebody bought the "for your own good" reason hook, line and sinker. Even if it WAS strictly for safety reasons, do you really believe that if someone did actually decide to bring an Uzi to the game and start mowing people down that a metal detector would stop that?

The metal detector will alarm and he'll just go "ok, you got me", put his weapon down and wait to be arrested? Not likely. More likely will be that he mows down people in line at the metal detectors instead of people in the seats. And that's a huge hypothetical scenario in the first place. Where would it stop?

This whole thing is absurd and plays right into the manifesto for the conditioning of the masses to accept a police state. The exact same thing is being done in the states with the TSA.

I simply used the Uzi scenerio as an example. Replace Uzi with bomb and then tell me where such a weapon of destruction would do the most damage. On the entrance ramp of the Rog or while sitting with several hundred people inside the building.

Yes where the most collateral damage can be accomplished, killing as many people as they can.

It appears you know little about the murderous ramifications of terrorism and of the various ways it is carried out. We have been fortunate here in Canada.

Maybe suggest to one of the victims families of the London subway bombing, the Twin Towers, the western tourists who were shot in Tunisia a few weeks ago, etc etc etc, that you believe the use of a metal dector to keep people safe is just another way to "condition the masses to accept a police state."

Shake your head man, that is one ridiculous statement.

If you are so concerned about civil rights then go live in Seria, Iraq, Afghanistan or Iran. You will quickly learn what the suppression of civil rights is like and what a police state is all about or how the brewing hate of all westerners is ever present. All one has to do is travel to Europe and witness armed soldiers in airports and on the street. Right now you and I are spoiled because Canada has yet to experience such a terrorist attack and I hope we never do.

Archived