The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Investing in the stock market - Discussion

AV's Coin

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

Cheaper then I paid last year. I check on the WestJet page but have also used CheapTickets site. Just make sure what currency their quoting.

I got a sweetand cheap deal last year with Westjet they have a nice plane!

Edited by Chris12345

3 hours ago, Chris12345 said:

Off topic but where you finding these? I'm seeing really high prices.

Depends on where you're going. I am off to Thailand in a month. Flying from Vic-Van-Tokyo-Bangkok. In the summer the flight was about +$2400. Prices have really dropped since the airport capacity issues, worker shortages, summer travel season etc have been solved. I got it for less than half of what it was.

If anyone cares this site regularly has pretty insane deals.  https://yvrdeals.com/

For example .... Vancouver to Singapore - $598 to $650 CAD roundtrip including taxes 

Vancouver (or Victoria or Nanaimo) to Hawaii for $299 to $399 CAD roundtrip including taxes | non-stop flights

I would hope Vancouver to Hawaii would be non stop. :lol:

Edited by nuckin_futz
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, nuckin_futz said:

Depends on where you're going. I am off to Thailand in a month. Flying from Vic-Van-Tokyo-Bangkok. In the summer the flight was about +$2400. Prices have really dropped since the airport capacity issues, worker shortages, summer travel season etc have been solved. I got it for less than half of what it was.

If anyone cares this site regularly has pretty insane deals.  https://yvrdeals.com/

For example .... Vancouver to Singapore - $598 to $650 CAD roundtrip including taxes 

Vancouver (or Victoria or Nanaimo) to Hawaii for $299 to $399 CAD roundtrip including taxes | non-stop flights

I would hope Vancouver to Hawaii would be non stop. :lol:

I find yvr deals great but it's tough when you have a window to go.

If you were retired I'd just go places based on deals.

For example that Sept or Oct flight is an awesome deal however- I'm working solid Oct and Nov.

We should start a travel thread!!!! Thailand is bar far the BEST place on the planet.

Edited by Chris12345

40 minutes ago, Chris12345 said:

I find yvr deals great but it's tough when you have a window to go.

If you were retired I'd just go places based on deals.

For example that Sept or Oct flight is an awesome deal however- I'm working solid Oct and Nov.

We should start a travel thread!!!! Thailand is bar far the BEST place on the planet.

We do have a travel thread. Though it kind of died at the beginning of Covid.

Luckily my schedule is really flexible. Totally agree about Thailand. Great food, friendly people, great weather. This will be my 4th trip there.

GBP/USD crash, under 1.0400

No fat fingers here folks, this is good old fashioned get-me-outta-here selling

1.0330 seen. record low

3 minute candles:

gbp minute chart 26 September 2022

On futures markets the CME has halted GBP futures - circuit break pause

That's a new all time low for GBP vs USD. About -350 pips in 3 minutes during one of the most illiquid times. The entire move for all of last week was -600 pips.

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

A recession should clear the political table. Canada is desperate for responsible leadership. Canada's ace was the energy industry and it has been pissed away. Lost revenue that could have sheltered the country from what we will experience. 

Biden wears some of the blame for keystone as well… I’m still waiting for the return favour.

29 minutes ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

Biden wears some of the blame for keystone as well… I’m still waiting for the return favour.

I have been a big fan of the USA all my life. Saying that I have also believed for decades that USA and Canadian interests do not always align. Canadians have deferred to the Americans to many times. Canada has been treated as the storage trove of raw resources that could be accessed on the cheap by USA interest. That is not the American's fault it is ours. Keystone XL is a classic example. IMHO Harper and then Trudeau should have used their authority to ensure pipelines were built to both coasts to ensure export of Canadian energy to world markets. Absolutely a national security issue that transcends even the economic argument. Revenue from energy would have financed any number of national priorities, one being economic diversification. It never ceases to amaze me how media never discusses the lost opportunity costs associated with the energy industry. 

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

I have been a big fan of the USA all my life. Saying that I have also believed for decades that USA and Canadian interests do not always align. Canadians have deferred to the Americans to many times. Canada has been treated as the storage trove of raw resources that could be accessed on the cheap by USA interest. That is not the American's fault it is ours. Keystone XL is a classic example. IMHO Harper and then Trudeau should have used their authority to ensure pipelines were built to both coasts to ensure export of Canadian energy to world markets. Absolutely a national security issue that transcends even the economic argument. Revenue from energy would have financed any number of national priorities, one being economic diversification. It never ceases to amaze me how media never discusses the lost opportunity costs associated with the energy industry. 

Remember the NEP?

• Vintage 1

8 hours ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

Why did everything suddenly drop today (about half way through trading session)

Wasn't any specific reason. My guess (based on the technicals) is Market Makers wanted to test the June lows and pick stops down there while they were at it.

This article was written mid-day...........

S&P 500 breaks the June lows on an ugly tape all around

• Awful price action everywhere

The S&P 500 has extended its decline to 0.8% after rising by 1.8% earlier. The trigger on the turnaround today was strong economic data and a rout in bonds that kicked off in the UK and extended on a terrible Treasury auction.

US 10-year yields are now up 9.8 bps to 3.98%. Obviously the 4% level looms.

This looks more and more like something is breaking and someone getting liquidated but there are no real rumours about that doing the rounds.

Alternatives:

• Central banks and reserve managers selling bonds to defend currencies, especially in emerging markets
  • Portfolio redemptions from levered funds related to quarter end

If the latter is a factor, then it should relent after the turn of the calendar into October, or even just before that.

Stocks can't turn until bonds at least stabilize.

SPX

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

Markets are getting obliterated today. Interestingly, the SP500, nasdaq and DJ have lost more today than bitcoin.

I can’t see any major news?

Bitcoin is STILL confusing the hell out of me.  I sitll don't get it.  I still don't understand it, it is STILL around $25-$30k per coin ish.  How?  Why?

Do people still believe Bitcoin/Ethereum/Cardano is going to be a serious thing?  Is there any potential for a bump in crypto?  Or is this whole sham finally dead because people realized it was real money for mario coins the whole time?

4 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Bitcoin is STILL confusing the hell out of me.  I sitll don't get it.  I still don't understand it, it is STILL around $25-$30k per coin ish.  How?  Why?

Do people still believe Bitcoin/Ethereum/Cardano is going to be a serious thing?  Is there any potential for a bump in crypto?  Or is this whole sham finally dead because people realized it was real money for mario coins the whole time?

Ms. Ark seems to think BC will hit $1M by the end of the decade, so I guess we better stay on board then haha.

• Haha 1

Bitcoin has emitted 200 million tonnes of CO2 since its launch

Bitcoin's demand for electricity has led to huge carbon emissions, but a slump in the cryptocurrency's price and rising energy costs have slowed its energy use, at least temporarily

TECHNOLOGY 28 September 2022

By Matthew Sparkes

Image of a bitcoin in a cloud of emissions

The large energy requirements of bitcoin and several other cryptocurrencies have a big environmental impact

corlaffra/Shutterstock

Bitcoin miners have emitted almost 200 million tonnes of carbon dioxide in the cryptocurrency’s short history, researchers at the University of Cambridge have calculated. Their estimate for the 13 years since bitcoin launched exceeds the emissions of the whole country of Colombia during 2018.