The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Investing in the stock market - Discussion

AV's Coin

The meme stocks give and the meme stocks take away

• Bed, Bath and Beyond down $10 from the highs
BBBY

There's something about the meme stock game that a segment of market participants love. It's the combination of notoriety, options trading, an infatuation with easy money and short squeezes.

Whatever it is, there's a bull market in it.

A month ago, it looked like the meme stock era was over and now it looks like it's a permanent part of the stock market landscape.

But what can you say about it? For sure there's opportunity here but it's almost pure gambling.

At the end of the day, you want to invest in companies that are improving in some way and not just companies that are heavily shorted.

In any case, this one is still up 16% today that's a great day for just about any stock... except one that was up 80% a few hours ago.

Kinda surprised the degenerate gamblers haven't found a new corpse to hump, but here we are.

8 hours ago, nuckin_futz said:

The meme stocks give and the meme stocks take away

• Bed, Bath and Beyond down $10 from the highs
BBBY

There's something about the meme stock game that a segment of market participants love. It's the combination of notoriety, options trading, an infatuation with easy money and short squeezes.

Whatever it is, there's a bull market in it.

A month ago, it looked like the meme stock era was over and now it looks like it's a permanent part of the stock market landscape.

But what can you say about it? For sure there's opportunity here but it's almost pure gambling.

At the end of the day, you want to invest in companies that are improving in some way and not just companies that are heavily shorted.

In any case, this one is still up 16% today that's a great day for just about any stock... except one that was up 80% a few hours ago.

Kinda surprised the degenerate gamblers haven't found a new corpse to hump, but here we are.

That's all child's play compared to what HKD did for the last month. 10000% move. It's bull****. The SEC is quick to neuter the whole AMC and Gamestop movement but so far it has been crickets regarding HKD. I'd love to know who made the 10000%.

4 minutes ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

That's all child's play compared to what HKD did for the last month. 10000% move. It's bull****. The SEC is quick to neuter the whole AMC and Gamestop movement but so far it has been crickets regarding HKD. I'd love to know who made the 10000%.

The floats of AMC and GME are too big. The float in HKD is only 19 million shares. Plus HKD has no options.

I suspect one firm got word of another firm's short position and decided to mangle them. That entire move reeks of an over leveraged margin blowout.

5 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

The floats of AMC and GME are too big. The float in HKD is only 19 million shares. Plus HKD has no options.

I suspect one firm got word of another firm's short position and decided to mangle them. That entire move reeks of an over leveraged margin blowout.

Even so, I'm surprised it can move that violently. I guess my question is though, why 'protect investors' from GME and AMC but not HKD? I have no horse in the race, I didn't get involved in any meme stock I just find it to be BS.

3 minutes ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

Even so, I'm surprised it can move that violently. I guess my question is though, why 'protect investors' from GME and AMC but not HKD? I have no horse in the race, I didn't get involved in any meme stock I just find it to be BS.

Yeah that move is definitely on the ridiculous side. They protected investors from GME and AMC because the media made it a big deal. They want to look like they're doing something. When in reality they couldn't give less of a poop.

Happy I sold my BBBY calls this morning and didn’t get greedy like usual. Meme stocks continue to be my best trades this Summer. I wonder if BBBY has potential for another leg up, wouldn’t count it out.

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/17/2022 at 8:57 PM, J-23 said:

Happy I sold my BBBY calls this morning and didn’t get greedy like usual. Meme stocks continue to be my best trades this Summer. I wonder if BBBY has potential for another leg up, wouldn’t count it out.

Bed, Bath & Beyond CFO falls from skyscraper to his death

• Gustavo Arnal, 52, deadChief Financial Officer of meme stock Bed, Bath & Beyond is dead after jumping from a New York City skyscraper, according to reports.

Gustavo Arnal, 52, plunged from the 18th floor of a Tribeca building. He was a native of Venezuela.

On Aug. 16, Arnal sold 42,513 shares in company stock for $1.4m at prices ranging from $20.00 to $29.95 according to INK Research. He still holds 255,396 shares or 0.32% of the company. He had bought 27,500 shares in late 2021 and early 2022 at prices ranging from $13.81 to $22.59.

BBBY stock sales

He had been with the company since May 2020 having previously worked for Avon and Procter & Gamble.

Arnal was undoubtedly under tremendous pressure and just last week obtained $500m in new financing while cutting 20% of its workforce in a plan to close 150 stores.

It's like he worked at Gazprom.

• Sad 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

2 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

Bed, Bath & Beyond CFO falls from skyscraper to his death

• Gustavo Arnal, 52, deadChief Financial Officer of meme stock Bed, Bath & Beyond is dead after jumping from a New York City skyscraper, according to reports.

Gustavo Arnal, 52, plunged from the 18th floor of a Tribeca building. He was a native of Venezuela.

On Aug. 16, Arnal sold 42,513 shares in company stock for $1.4m at prices ranging from $20.00 to $29.95 according to INK Research. He still holds 255,396 shares or 0.32% of the company. He had bought 27,500 shares in late 2021 and early 2022 at prices ranging from $13.81 to $22.59.

BBBY stock sales

He had been with the company since May 2020 having previously worked for Avon and Procter & Gamble.

Arnal was undoubtedly under tremendous pressure and just last week obtained $500m in new financing while cutting 20% of its workforce in a plan to close 150 stores.

It's like he worked at Gazprom.

Pretty suspicious given BBBY's action recently. But who knows.