The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

BC Government considering bridge to Sunshine Coast

Armada

I don't get why people project a high toll fee.

Track record. Ferry fares keep going up and ridership is going down. The toll bridges in the Lower Mainland are under-utilized and the tolls went up. I just don't see them taking any different approach with a new bridge.

Currently, it is $53 to take that ferry (one way, excluding driver or passengers). I bet a toll would be in that same ballpark.

:lol:

C'mon man, Coquihalla was $10 and that was ages ago - you think a toll bridge to the Sunshine Coast is only going to be $2-4? or was the dash a mis print and you meant $24 ? ;)

Sorry, I wasn't aware of that. I was relating it to the Golden Ears and Port mann.

I see the difference now though.

Yes.

Imagine paying an extra 10 years of interest on a large loan.

No, it won't be $50. But anywhere between $10 and $20 would be my guess.

Yeah but the province (and the country) seem to be building new infrastructure all the time when both entities run a deficit anyways.

It's not like there is someone waiting to shut down the Port Mann bridge because of a default on interest payments. If it takes 25 years to pay it off through user tolls, then that's how long it takes. At the current rate it's being used, it will take 50 years. Once all river crossings are tolled, the tolls should drop to next to nothing.

The *only* reason this bridge is being mentioned is because of real estate prices. Prices of real estate too high? Then just build a bridge to sunshine coast where there's plenty of land. Want to know who WON'T like this bridge? Everyone on the Sunshine Coast!!!

Everyone I know who lives over on the Sunshine Coast loves it there because it is quiet and uncrowded. They don't want 100,000 foreigners or mainland Chinese moving over there and building 11 bedroom 11 bathroom McMansions.

I wonder if the so called "stakeholders" who supposedly support this over there have thought this out. Might want to rethink it again.

Anyways it is a moot point. Real estate prices will crash soon and all the foreign money will disappear and then there won't be a problem until 40 years from now when the cycle repeats.

The *only* reason this bridge is being mentioned is because of real estate prices. Prices of real estate too high? Then just build a bridge to sunshine coast where there's plenty of land. Want to know who WON'T like this bridge? Everyone on the Sunshine Coast!!!

Everyone I know who lives over on the Sunshine Coast loves it there because it is quiet and uncrowded. They don't want 100,000 foreigners or mainland Chinese moving over there and building 11 bedroom 11 bathroom McMansions.

I wonder if the so called "stakeholders" who supposedly support this over there have thought this out. Might want to rethink it again.

Anyways it is a moot point. Real estate prices will crash soon and all the foreign money will disappear and then there won't be a problem until 40 years from now when the cycle repeats.

The only way this happens is if there is a huge earthquake that scares the Chinese/foreign inverstors away. The prices of house in my neighbourhood have gone up for 600k in 2010 to 800k-900k and there seems to be no stop to the amount of foreign currency that is being smuggled and spent into Vancouver.

I'm not joking when i say 6 new houses have been built in my neighbourhood in the last 8 months, and of course they are all Chinese owned mansions that don't fit the neighbourhood at all and IMO ruin the "Character" of the neighbourhood. They are basically the type of homes you see in Vancouver/Richmond (3000+ sq/ft 3 storys no yardspace) being built in a neighbourhood that has smaller (2000 sq/ft) homes that have lots (in Vancouver terms) of yardspace.

This is likely inevitable, unless locals maintain a strong stance and shut it down continuously.

I would think a link up through there, up to Powell River and then over to Campbell River will happen. With global warming eroding the coastlines around the world, this steep Oceanside area will become pretty darn valuable.

If mayor moonbeam owned a weekend property on the sunshine coast he would be behind this project 100%.

A lot of the people who live on the sunshine coast do so for the exact reason that it is harder to get to and tourism is kept in check. They will have to go further afield if this insane bridge idea catches on.

I was looking at the proposed highway that would link Powell River to Squamish last week. They had it going up around Powell Lake (Powell-Daniels area), which is wild. I was up there hiking 5yrs ago or so and it's high elevation glacier fields. Would make for stunning drives, but I'm not sure how much it would cost to build/maintain a project like that. A lot, I'm guessing.

The idea of eventually linking it to the Island is interesting and imo the only really realistic way to connect to the mainland. But again, logistically - looking at a map, I think it would be Squamish>Sunshine Coast >Powell River>Cortes>Quadra>Campbell River. There's a lot of wealthy old hippie-environmentalist types living on those islands who wouldn't like it one bit.

This will never get past the planning stages, as the costs will be way too prohibitive, and from the people I know on the Sunshine Coast, they enjoy the fact that the area is still quiet and fairly rural.

They don't want the foreign Chinese invasion to spread to those areas. And this is coming from a fourth generation Canadian family of Asian descent that has lived over there for two generations now. They despise the wave of "interlopers" as they like to call them, and want nothing to do with them.

This will never get past the planning stages, as the costs will be way too prohibitive, and from the people I know on the Sunshine Coast, they enjoy the fact that the area is still quiet and fairly rural.

They don't want the foreign Chinese invasion to spread to those areas. And this is coming from a fourth generation Canadian family of Asian descent that has lived over there for two generations now. They despise the wave of "interlopers" as they like to call them, and want nothing to do with them.

I have no idea about the demographic of that locale, but if foreigners are able to buy in, someone was willing and wanting to do something with them.

Sorry to say been living here for over 30 years, this " foreign invasion " you speak of has already started over 15 years ago. Chinese come here in droves buying up real estate and there is an ever-growing population of south asians moving here as well.

People want to be able to afford and live the lifestyle they are accustomed to by growing up here, whether Chinese or other there is a lot of foreign dollars here snapping up property already. There is not enough rental units to go around anymore due to this.

So in a nutshell sorry, it's too late.

There's plenty of land. However one thing they don't have is, plenty of water. I was talking a few years ago when a friend of mine applied for a bylaw job in Gibson's. Apparently water conservation is a huge deal there. Bowen Island is already having issues with water (Basically the problem is there is no legislation, you can just dig a deeper well than everyone else and plug into the aquifer. Your well has lots of water. The people with wells not as deep, runs dry.)

BC needs to regulate water now. So we don't sign stupid deals with companies like Nestle.

There's plenty of land. However one thing they don't have is, plenty of water. I was talking a few years ago when a friend of mine applied for a bylaw job in Gibson's. Apparently water conservation is a huge deal there. Bowen Island is already having issues with water (Basically the problem is there is no legislation, you can just dig a deeper well than everyone else and plug into the aquifer. Your well has lots of water. The people with wells not as deep, runs dry.)

BC needs to regulate water now. So we don't sign stupid deals with companies like Nestle.

misinformation.

There is plenty of water on the Sunshine Coast. In fact the reservoir being Chapman Lake as the main reservoir as there is also a backup can handle three years of drought at current consumption levels, the issue earlier this summer was accessing the water. The Sunshine Coast had piping to the top 3 metres of the lake surface, so there in lies the problem, Upgrading a siphon system to access more water is already in motion. The lake holds over 27 metres of water.

A monstrous aquifer also runs under much of the Coast at which Gibsons accesses this water, plans are in the works to build additional pumping stations to access more water this way as well.

This is a result of population growth with a slower upgrading of the infrastructure.

The Sunshine Coast is a rainforest, water is not an issue.

As long as it doesnt eliminate the ferries. As a visitor I love taking the ferries, it's a fun experience. I can understand those that have to get across regularly. But to eliminate would be sad imo.

no kidding, especially this time of year as the leaves are turning, you take the ferry on a sunny fall day it's quite the scene.

I've lived here many many years, never have I had an issue waiting on the ferry except once on Canada Day a two sailing wait. Otherwise sorry to say it simply comes down to being organized and planning.

Too many people live in the " now world ", do what they want, when they want and at the press of a button lol. Take a breathe, relax, enjoy your surroundings and take in what's around you instead of complaining and bickering about how you are being inconvenienced. lol.

Sorry to say been living here for over 30 years, this " foreign invasion " you speak of has already started over 15 years ago. Chinese come here in droves buying up real estate and there is an ever-growing population of south asians moving here as well.

People want to be able to afford and live the lifestyle they are accustomed to by growing up here, whether Chinese or other there is a lot of foreign dollars here snapping up property already. There is not enough rental units to go around anymore due to this.

So in a nutshell sorry, it's too late.

A bridge would accelerate the development though so I'd really hate to see it. Taking the ferry is half the enjoyment of the trip over there.

Archived