The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Arizona 0 vs. Vancouver 1 | Pre-season | Sep. 28, 2015 | 7:00 PM PDT | SNET-1

-Vintage Canuck-

This is getting frustrating. Okay, yes Vey has under preformed at times but to put some younger players ahead of him because of one or two showings is unfair. Vey has proven to be point per game in the AHL along with solid WHL numbers, also had a pretty decent season last year for a rookie. Lets cut him just the tiniest bit of slack. You're frothing out of the mouth for the youngins is showing.

So you think that Gaunce or Mcann will be perfect if they make it, that they will not make many mistakes? If every team gave up on their rookies for making mistakes or for their weaknesses after one season then there wouldn't be many young players left in the league. You cannot expect a rookie to play like a seasoned pro after one year. Vey has paid his dues in the AHL, more so than Gaunce and already has a decent NHL season under his belt so why does he not deserve to build on it. You mentioned Kassian and all his chances he had, he wasn't given one season he was given several and not just by this team. Vey needs a chance to show he can learn from his mistakes and he can't do that if he isn't given that chance. Virtanen, Gaunce, Mcann or any other rookie are all the same they deserve their chance to make the mistakes at the NHL level and to build on them and you don't do that in one season. Ask any vet how they got where they are, it wasn't by being perfect.

Never said Vey needed to be perfect. Adequate would be great. He has looked out of his element. Pure and simple.

You speak as if Vey hasn't been given chances to succeed. He was gifted all kinds of opportunities last season, and tonight he gets the 2nd line center position. He's been given tons of opportunities and has been underwhelming.

Kassian was given more opportunity because of his size and fists. He lacked consistency. When he was on, he was twice the player Vey is. Vey is small and ineffective from a physical standpoint. He won't win puck battles along the boards.

His chance to play with a pure skill line should be his last. He won't be playing regular season in the top 6, so he needs to be adaptable.

Your generalization of Vey just being a hard done by rookie is laughable. His effort level has been lacking especially when you consider that there are other larger, stronger, younger, and better players fighting for a spot on the roster.

You state that Vey has paid his dues and has played more in the AHL than Gaunce. Just curious what your point is there.

This isn't a union position based on senority. The better player should play. Gaunce is better. So is McCann. And Virtanen.

The goal is for the Canucks to succeed as a team, not for Vey to like he's getting a fair shake for putting in a half ass effort.

I have a confession to make:

I'm hoping that Vey plays absolutely awful, and McCann plays lights out putting up another multi point game.

Please let it happen :)

Wouldn't it be a better hope that Vey flips the switch tonight and comes out lights out?

But let's be honest, your hope sounds a little more realistic.

This is getting frustrating. Okay, yes Vey has under preformed at times but to put some younger players ahead of him because of one or two showings is unfair. Vey has proven to be point per game in the AHL along with solid WHL numbers, also had a pretty decent season last year for a rookie. Lets cut him just the tiniest bit of slack. You're frothing out of the mouth for the youngins is showing.

What he did in the AHL and WHL is pointless at this point. Understand that. It's what he does now that counts. You're only as good as your last game when your in his position.

In other words, lets keep this boring average team the way it is.

How about we give players a chance to play if they are ready? McCann is miles better than Vey, its not even close. He holds his own well, very well infact. Hes one of those players which size doesnt matter, not that hes a Gaudreau size, hes bigger.

At the very least 9 games,same with Virtanen.

I really don't get why some are writing McCann off.

Gaudreau's 5'6 or 5'8 150-160 pounds.

Tyler Johnson's small.

Brendan Gallagher's small.

Patrick Kane's light.

Kucherov's short.

Mats Zucarello's short and light.

Brian Gionta.. etc.

Seriously, people writing off a 19 year old who's 6'0, 180 pounds who's ALREADY much more stronger than Vey, and can play good defensively just as good as he is offensively? This kid's got the offensive potential, and he's already much more defensively sound than most other known names to step in the NHL as a 19-20 year old.

I find it laughable and find it a very poor excuse to write someone off based on the weight and height. Maybe if they're 5'6, 120-150 pounds. But jeez.

I have a confession to make:

I'm hoping that Vey plays absolutely awful, and McCann plays lights out putting up another multi point game.

Please let it happen :)

Dear God please

Pretty please.

That isn't fair. If Vey happens to play well, you should be happy that he's succeeding even if he's outplaying McCann. There's no reason to hope for a player to play poorly unless you want the team to tank, which you can't do in the preseason.

bennings not so good moves

2 round for vey now maybe worth a 3

2 round for baertschi wait and see but another Raymond? we need size in top six

bartkowski? hutton is better

prust? gaunse kenins maybe even Jensen are all better

my lines

sedin sedin burrows

McCann horvat Vrbata

gaunse sutter Virtanen

kenins cracknel Hansen

xtra dorsett

edler tanev

hammer hutton

spisa corrado

xtra weber bartkowski

That isn't fair. If Vey happens to play well, you should be happy that he's succeeding even if he's outplaying McCann. There's no reason to hope for a player to play poorly unless you want the team to tank, which you can't do in the preseason.

This.

Lmao, who wants a player to play bad.. That's just dumb af.

Stop it, we want Vey to succeed atleast I do but he hasn't shown it and he's getting outplayed by a rookie big time. If Vey has a good game, no I'll be nice and say a descent game I'll applaud him because right now he's letting McCann take his spot with ease.

Archived