The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Rumour) Edm trying to move nikitin or ference; talked to chi about bickell

billabong

@SportsnetSpec: CHI is trying to move Bryan Bickell, with Seabrook deal kicking in next year, + Shaw, Kruger going RFA. Talked w/EDM 4 Nikitin, but no deal

@SportsnetSpec: It appears Griffin Reinhart is NHL ready. EDM hoping to find taker for Nikitin or Ference. Tall order to trade either player, for sure.

Make Ference captain and then trade him? He's not the same defenseman he once was but keep him over Nikitin, Nikitin was sort of hyped about by the Blues a few years ago. Now needs a change of scenery, still great potential with that frame and puck moving ability.

Chicago would probably have more interest in Schultz.

Defensemen Edmonton should move, in order:

Fayne

Ference

Nikitin

Schultz

Only in your opinion. Here's what Todd McLellan, you know, the coach of the team, has to say about Fayne:

“There are those guys that quietly go about playing an efficient game,” said Oilers head coach Todd McLellan. “He knows he has to defend, he’s got to penalty ­kill, he has to move pucks out, he has to be good around our paint (crease). Those are things that I’m sure he takes pride in and when he’s doing those well, you hardly notice him.”

Signed as a free agent prior to last season Fayne, 28, goes into this year as a stabilizing factor on a blue­line riddled with uncertainty.

The Oilers conceded more goals than any other team in the league last season.

Part of that had to do with the defensive system put in place, but overall as a unit, the Oilers blue­line was a mess. “(Mark) can settle some things down on the back end, I think he gets the game as well,” McLellan said. “It’s my belief that he’s had to play the game positionally sound. He’s come from an organization that’s taught that and done that in (New) Jersey.

“I don’t think he skates the same as (Justin) Schultz does, but positionally, he works his way into the right spots and when he’s doing that he has success.”

In order to try to and repair their defensive deficiencies, the Oilers brought in Andrej Sekera to be their top blue liner. So far in camp, he’s been partnered with Fayne and the two are likely to start the year beside each other on the top pairing.

So tell us again why Edmonton should move him?

Only in your opinion. Here's what Todd McLellan, you know, the coach of the team, has to say about Fayne:

There are those guys that quietly go about playing an efficient game, said Oilers head coach Todd McLellan. He knows he has to defend, hes got to penalty ­kill, he has to move pucks out, he has to be good around our paint (crease). Those are things that Im sure he takes pride in and when hes doing those well, you hardly notice him.

Signed as a free agent prior to last season Fayne, 28, goes into this year as a stabilizing factor on a blue­line riddled with uncertainty.

The Oilers conceded more goals than any other team in the league last season.

Part of that had to do with the defensive system put in place, but overall as a unit, the Oilers blue­line was a mess. (Mark) can settle some things down on the back end, I think he gets the game as well, McLellan said. Its my belief that hes had to play the game positionally sound. Hes come from an organization thats taught that and done that in (New) Jersey.

I dont think he skates the same as (Justin) Schultz does, but positionally, he works his way into the right spots and when hes doing that he has success.

In order to try to and repair their defensive deficiencies, the Oilers brought in Andrej Sekera to be their top blue liner. So far in camp, hes been partnered with Fayne and the two are likely to start the year beside each other on the top pairing.

So tell us again why Edmonton should move him?

Because Fayne blows.

btw What McLellan said wasn't exactly a great review. More like a list of what Fayne should be doing.

Archived