The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Cap #s don't add up.

Arrow 1983

According to general fanager, Virtanen and McCann's cap are $894,166 each and Corrado is $632,500. Not sure how bonuses factor in, but once Higgins is placed on LTIR, our cap would be as follows:

H Sedin 7

D Sedin 7

Vrbata 5

Burrows 4.5

Sutter 3.3

Dorsett 2.65

Hansen 2.5

Prust 2.5

Vey 1

Baertschi 0.9

Horvat 0.894166

Virtanen 0.894166

McCann 0.894166

Edler 5

Hamhuis 4.5

Tanev 4.45

Sbisa 3.6

Bartowski 1.75

Weber 1.5

Hutton 0.89625

Corrado 0.6325

Miller 6

Markstrom 1.5

Luongo 0.8

Therefore, the number adds to $69,661,248.

When Higgins returns, one of McCann, Virtanen, Hutton, or Vey will be sent down, which will free up approximately $900,000, bringing us to $71,267,082, which is just under.

Nhlnumbers.com have the numbers with bonuses

I removed the 2.5mill for Higgins and that is where I got the .290mill

What should happen though is not to remove the salary of the injured player. That gets left in. You merely don't count the amount paid to the replacement. So, essentially, you leave Higgins in and don't count his replacement while Higgins is on IRL.

What should happen though is not to remove the salary of the injured player. That gets left in. You merely don't count the amount paid to the replacement. So, essentially, you leave Higgins in and don't count his replacement while Higgins is on IRL.

Finally, somebody who gets it.

Total: $74.191mill or $2.79 mill above cap, if Higgins goes onto LTIR -$2.5mill still $0.29mill above cap. Thus, the Bonus cushion kicks in but remember any amount we go over the cap this season will be deducted from next seasons cap. Just some food for thought as we await finally cuts.

Note: other injuries occurring this season and players Virtanen, McCann and Horvat not achieving the marks for their bonuses would help the team on this issue.

I Forgot one thing but I will let you do the math on it 74.191-1.107 (McCann) or .700 (Hutton) see the problem assuming Higgins not on LTIR.

I'm going to assume you posted this because you wanted to find out why your numbers didn't add up, and not because you thought you came across a discrepancy that you think both the NHL and Canucks management somehow missed...

Nice to see fans come together to sort it out, at any rate.

First you count the replacement if Higgins is IRL. but yes you are right if higgins is LTIR salary stays in and the replacement doesn't count. However, the last thing I said is still an issue 74.191-1.107 (McCann the replacement) = 73.089 which is larger then the salary cap of 71.4

Unless the team can claim that Sutter is the replacement then 74.191-3.30 (Sutter)= 70.891 but Sutter has a bigger cap hit. and using Hansen still puts them over the cap 74.191-2.5 (Hansen)= 71.691

Also, you accumulate the difference between the injured player and the replacement on a daily basis and create a cushion.

Generalfanager sucks because they don't apply the bonus cushion. Capgeek did and they where the best.

It's true, but I can't imagine caring about that level of detail. Pretty sure everything is under control. We always spend to the cap and people are always fidgety about the lack of flexibility. Any team that isn't a miserly bag of ass should ride the cap.

Archived