The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks Pre Season Winners and Losers?

HC20.0

Virtanen I think played a lot better than people give him credit for. He hustles back on defence, specifically in the last game where he turned a 2-1 to a 2-2 and took away the pass option, forcing the puck carrier to shoot. I think his defence isn't as bad as people claim.

Offence will come as he gets better acquainted with teammates and the pace of the league. Horvat didn't start producing until after the All Star Break. With that said I wouldn't be surprised if he ended up back in Calgary, although I would be pretty upset.

I think Vey lost the most. I thought that in his interviews at the start of camp he was very lucid about his situation (getting one final opportunity and having been placed last season in situations he hadn't earned) and it's unfortunate that he hasn't really been able to assert himself this pre-season.

Although not in that same order of magnitude, I think Sutter is also one that lost quite a bit this pre-season.

Since he was signed the expectation was that he would be C2 and he even commented on looking forward to the opportunity of having a more O-role. At camp he started between Baertschi and Vrbata and Benning before the 3rd game even talked about that line looking good together so far - a playmaker with two finishers. By the end of camp it looks like Horvat has claimed C2 over Sutter.

Personally I thought the best player got sent down early. Gaunce to me didn't have one game where he didn't shine, do all the little things right and showed a maturity becoming of a future captain.

The only reason I think he is not in the team is because he was SO GOOD the management have no reservations about him. With the likes of Hutton, McCann and Virt, they haven't even played in the AHL, therefore they are all being further evaluated.

My guess is they will all be sent to their various possible leagues after the regular season 9 games or less (unless any of them show exceptional ability to deserve being retained) then Gaunce will be brought up for the 4th line c/wing berth.

As for the slur against the vets. Please talk sense, these guys know how long a season it is and they know their places in the team depend on what they do in the regular season. Is anyone seriously suggesting they run around playing their A game when they risk being injured or fatigued by doing so?

The only real disappointment has been Vey but then again who is to say that he won't do well when the chips are down?

Shinkaruk and hamhuis weren't bad

Shinkaruk has incredibly stiff competition

No point in hamhuis going 110%, preseason for core players is just about getting into the swing of things and making sure everything is feeling good. Don't get to upset about effort levels from the vets.

Personally I thought the best player got sent down early. Gaunce to me didn't have one game where he didn't shine, do all the little things right and showed a maturity becoming of a future captain.

The only reason I think he is not in the team is because he was SO GOOD the management have no reservations about him. With the likes of Hutton, McCann and Virt, they haven't even played in the AHL, therefore they are all being further evaluated.

My guess is they will all be sent to their various possible leagues after the regular season 9 games or less (unless any of them show exceptional ability to deserve being retained) then Gaunce will be brought up for the 4th line c/wing berth.

As for the slur against the vets. Please talk sense, these guys know how long a season it is and they know their places in the team depend on what they do in the regular season. Is anyone seriously suggesting they run around playing their A game when they risk being injured or fatigued by doing so?

The only real disappointment has been Vey but then again who is to say that he won't do well when the chips are down?

Like when he gets a chance to practice with his actual linemates.

There is more than one way to play this game. Avoiding being dominated physically can be achieved a couple of ways. First, you can be big and strong yourself. Second, you could be quick and wiry. Some players like Gretzky and Keith are seldom hit. This is the extreme. Most quick and wiry types need to get free enough to do some damage more often than he gets beaten down.

Bonino can't get himself free enough to do damage offensively. Vey is similar. McCann is not. He gets hit but he often gets himself in the clear to exploit his wicked shot and to make plays.

Gretzky never got hit because he had Semenko and Buchburger (or whatever his name was) protecting him. And everyone in the NHL knew if you touched Gretzky you were going to hear about it. Keith doesnt get hit because he is quick. :D

I hope Sutter is a lot better than what he has shown. He basically lost his 2nd line position to Horvat.

Sutter is not a second line centreman. He never will be. Hes a mucker, and a great checker. Horvat is better suited for the second line. So I dont think Sutter "Lost" his spot to Horvat.

Check out the Dejardins interview on this site from Monday Oct 5.

He talks about Vey. He said that it was more about fit than how well he played. He really doesn't fit as a 4th liner or with the game that his linemates, Prust and Dorsett would bring. Cracknell does fit and that's why he made the team.

Vey fits higher in the line up. 3rd line at least. This is the spot they're making for McCann (who has better offensive upside obviously) and why they're sliding Sutter to 1RW for the short term.

Also, in the McCann interview, he talked about having to work on his transition game. I take this to mean that he needs to sharpen his play on the wing because in order to fit into the line up longer term, he'll have to have this skill.

Love McCann's attitude. He's happy but he says it's only another step along the way. There's no resting on laurels for this guy.

Cracknell, "it's one thing to make the NHL, it's another thing to stay"

Winners - obviously the young guns; Hutton, Virt, McCann, along with a vet making good on possibly his last good chance; Cracknell. Besides them, I would say...the power play (Hutton looks to be a really good PP QB in the making), and Horvat (he's no longer "the kid").

Losers - Corrado and Vey, along with Shinkaruk. For Corrado, you have to wonder if he might need to look to another team (actually this goes for Vey also). Both look like they may have gotten passed by this new depth, and will need a new location to make it full time. Both need to show something in Utica. For Shinkaruk, the same but less so. One more year in Utica will do him good, no doubt. But if he doesn't cut it next camp, he may be getting looked at the same way some of us on CDC are looking at Jensen.

Oh yeah, one more winner...us, the fans!! We (FINALLY!!) have some depth in our organization that we haven't seen in some time, if ever. This is showing my age, but I look at some of these guys, and see some similarities to former Canuck stars. Horvat - Smyl; both are so bloody strong for their size, both are leaders, and Horvat should be a C whenever Henrik steps down. Hutton - Lidster; smooth skating, great PP QB.

With the preseason over, and all of us waiting with baited breath for the final roster cuts, as well as Wednesday, who would you say the winners/losers of the preseason were? Who impressed you, and who didn't?

My Winners:

McCann. Exceeded everybody's expactations. This kid stole the whole show. Fantastic preseason.

Horvat. No signs at all of slowing down, but instead signs of being an even better player. Could become a better Kesler before we know it!

Hutton. Where did this guy come from? Like McCann, he stole the show! Who knew we had a great D prospect in him?

Excellent analysis. (What I mean by that is that I agree with pretty much every assessment.) However, you left out one winner: Cracknell. He played hard, he played well, and he showed he can handle the 4C position better than Vey.

I also think you left out a loser -- Sutter. The 2C position was his to lose and he lost it. He might even lose the 3C position.

One more winner -- Benning. He showed he was serious in saying that guys would have to earn their spots and that young guys would make the team if they deserved it on merit. GMs always say that and rarely follow through. I am impressed that Benning did.

Now, would have the courage to do something like drop Sbisa to 7th man on D or drop Sutter to 4C if their play warrants it. I am not saying that it the right move right now, but I could it would not shock me so Horvat and McCann ahead of Sutter on the depth chart by year-end. And, as for Sbisa, Hutton has already passed him and the other two spots in the top 6 are up for grabs between Sbisa, Weber, and Grabowski. And Pedan is making rapid progress and brings the size, toughness and physical game that Sbisa is there for. I could see him on the Canucks at some point during the year.

Winners:

Horvat- What a performance. Looks like he could be a future #1! So good defensively, and constantly getting better offensively.

Hutton- Some of us were intrigued, but I don't think anyone thought he'd be this good.

McCann- He's been such a revelation that he's forcing us to try Sutter with the Sedins. Great release and instincts.

Virtanen- Can throw the body around, but isn't a dirty hitter. Great shot, and has power forward intangibles already.

Cracknell- We were in need of a prototypical 4th line center and he asserted himself.

Gaunce- Don't let his going to Utica fool you. He showed that he has a spot on the team, and just has to wait for it. Has the versatility of playing center or left wing, which will help him.

Losers:

Vey- As Linden said, he doesn't fit on the team. Needs to improve his conditioning.

Corrado- Seemed nervous, but this is more about Hutton stealing his job than anything else.

Sutter- He started to come on, but too little too late as Horvat and McCann both performed him. That being said, it looks like he could play with the Sedins.

Sbisa- Bartkowski, Weber, and Hutton played well, meaning he could be moved to third pairing if he hasn't already. Glad we have him though--we need his physicality.

Unfairly criticized:

The Sedins- They made some nice passes and showed that creativity is not going anywhere soon. They had to acclimate to different linemates almost every game, but in the end potential chemistry with Sutter could put them in the win column.

Hamhuis- Umm, I'm not sure if we watched the same games. His skating looks really fluid and he made some nice pinches. Could have very easily scored a few goals.

Shinkaruk- I love his compete level. I actually think he could carry the third line offensively. Maybe not now, but soon.

Overall, I loved the internal competition exhibited in this preseason.

Archived