The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks Pre Season Winners and Losers?

HC20.0

Rookies and prospects had something on the line. Veterans didn't.

It's not just good or bad, there's a gradation.

Vey was the biggest disappointment for me. He knew very well what was on the line.

Did Corrado think he had it in the bag? His performance is going to put him in the press box most games.

Surprises, Hutton for sure and McCann. Gaunce did well too. Cracknell as a dark horse.

Baertschi, Virtanen, Markstrom delivered as advertised.

Meh performances with nothing on the line go to newcomers Sutter, Prust, you'd think they would have wanted to impress.

Those are the guys who had something to play for. For the rest, it's pre-season.

Sorry bud. No question the rookies played well but I really am curious to see how they do up against better teams and during the regular season. It is probably going to be a lot different.

Do you think the kiddies get 9 games, or less?

"ITS ???? PRESEASON, IT DOESNT COUNT"

Lmao!

For sure, you can make a really solid assessment based on a handful of games between teams with mixed rosters and no points on the line. Half of the guys not trying, and no set lines, and no practices, no chemistry....yeah, pre-season tells you everything you need to know about a player. I'm honestly surprised they haven't waived Sutter.

You really chose your words well when you suggest that it "COUNTS".

Do you think the kiddies get 9 games, or less?

I think only one of them stays. I'm guessing Virtanen stays and McCann goes back to jr after less than 9 games. He is probably a bit too 'small' to be playing centre in this division/conference. Isn't that why Bonino was moved for Sutter, because Bonino was too 'soft' to play against. I think I've heard both Linden and Benning say that Horvat was ready because he had an NHL body.

There is more than one way to play this game. Avoiding being dominated physically can be achieved a couple of ways. First, you can be big and strong yourself. Second, you could be quick and wiry. Some players like Gretzky and Keith are seldom hit. This is the extreme. Most quick and wiry types need to get free enough to do some damage more often than he gets beaten down.

Bonino can't get himself free enough to do damage offensively. Vey is similar. McCann is not. He gets hit but he often gets himself in the clear to exploit his wicked shot and to make plays.

There is more than one way to play this game. Avoiding being dominated physically can be achieved a couple of ways. First, you can be big and strong yourself. Second, you could be quick and wiry. Some players like Gretzky and Keith are seldom hit. This is the extreme. Most quick and wiry types need to get free enough to do some damage more often than he gets beaten down.

Bonino can't get himself free enough to do damage offensively. Vey is similar. McCann is not. He gets hit but he often gets himself in the clear to exploit his wicked shot and to make plays.

.....and Hutton.....so far.

I largely agree with what you said, but many of the vets are just taking it easy right now. Hamhuis didn't look that bad and the Sedins are looking alright, just not finishing yet. Miller looked great last game.

Beyond that, I agree with every other winner and loser. Definitely disappointed in Grenier, Corrado, and Shinkaruk, but I'm even more so pleased with McCann, Virtanen, Gaunce, and Hutton. Subban was also pretty good, but he wasn't given a chance in the pre-season.

What I've learned over the years is things can change in a heartbeat and to ride the wave.

Not that the veterans aren't...but I'd imagine it becomes routine over time and I honestly wonder if burn out (from travel, etc.) can play a role in things.

Preseason has to translate to regular season to have any meaning at all.

This is key. I keep telling myself not to overvalue pre-season performances. We'll see if our new young guns can continue performing when the real hockey begins.

Meh, I'll point out who's good and bad. Everyone unnamed was average.

Prust, Corrado, Sbisa, Kenins, Vey AWFUL.

McCann, Gaunce, Hutton, Horvat, Edler, Tanev, goalies, good

Only middle of the pack I'll mention is Baertschi. Really interesting preseason, at times looked fantastic, at times looked awful.

Meh, I'll point out who's good and bad. Everyone unnamed was average.

Prust, Corrado, Sbisa, Kenins, Vey AWFUL.

McCann, Gaunce, Hutton, Horvat, Edler, Tanev, goalies, good

Only middle of the pack I'll mention is Baertschi. Really interesting preseason, at times looked fantastic, at times looked awful.

I think most of your points are accurate..although picking Sbisa as having a poor pre season ..?..Looks like you're basically implying that he should be a cut..I think he's had a pretty decent pre season (his game at Rexall was really good) ..pretty much the only physical presence the Canucks have on D..

Rookies and prospects had something on the line. Veterans didn't.

It's not just good or bad, there's a gradation.

Vey was the biggest disappointment for me. He knew very well what was on the line.

Did Corrado think he had it in the bag? His performance is going to put him in the press box most games.

(edited down to focus on this part)

Agree with the gradation point.

One trait Vey & Corrado shared, to my eyes, was being very visibly nervous. Much more than either the 'nothing to lose, everything to prove' rooks and the crusty vets just trying to avoid injury. They both had the most riding on this pre-season. Corrado a little less so, worse case for him was (is?) being plucked off waivers and having to prove himself in a new market. Vey could be similar, but from his POV, there's the worry that if the cards turn up wrong, this is the fork in his career where he becomes the journeyman AHL-er. That's gotta be scary.

Like many others I've been harsh on him, but it's mostly frustration due to his position as the clog in the salary cap / roster drain.

I'll be ecstatic if management has figured a way to keep both the young trio and the two 'tweeners. It's a long season and they'll all have their shot.

The biggest winner was Hutton, he came from obscurity to prominence. The biggest loser was Subban, he never even got to try, and I felt he was the best Dman in Penticton.

McCann really did well, and I expected it. I just hope he can stay up long enough to show something at the NHL level.

Horvat was our best player in preseason, nice to see him ready to go.

Vey is a failed experiment, hope they trade him for anything.

Archived