The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2nd Line Forechecker?

aGENT

I'm more in favor of moving higgy and going with more youth, we've played well without him and even if he were to help us in the shots term I think it's better to move him.

Yeah I'd be fine moving him but any of Dorsett, Gaunce, Kenins, Shink etc could take his place really.

If Vrbata can't play with Horvat though, I don't see a good fit for him here. Higgins or not.

Yeah I'd be fine moving him but any of Dorsett, Gaunce, Kenins, Shink etc could take his place really.

If Vrbata can't play with Horvat though, I don't see a good fit for him here. Higgins or not.

I think there is almost a 0% chance we see vrbata in the lineup past the trade deadline unless he's carrying the team on his back and we're looking like cup favorites. It would just be poor asset management for a guy that is a short term pickup, in other words he doesn't bleed blue.

Man they need to re-jig that 2nd line. They just have no chemistry and for whatever reason Vrbata is just not burying gift wrapped chances right now.

Even if it's not my suggested lineup, they need to separate Baer and Vrbata and get some forechecking presence on that line. Hopefully with another forechecker Vrbata and Horvat look a little better together, otherwise split them up too. If Horvat/Vrbata can't play nice I'd be just as happy when Higgins gets back with:

Sedin, Sedin, Burrows

Higgins, Sutter, Vrbata

Baer, Horvat, Hansen

Prust/Dorsett, Cracknell, Dorsett/Virtanen

But man Vrbata's proving an ill fit this season.. Skilled guy and all but I'd almost prefer him traded if he can't play with Horvat.

Sedin, Sedin, Burrows

Higgins, Sutter, Hansen

Baer, Horvat, Virtanen/Dorsett

Prust, Cracknell, Virtanen/Dorsett

Good minds think alike

I think McCann goes down when Higgins comes back, Barring a trade, when Higgins comes back he pushes Burr back with the twins and Sutter goes back to center.

Sedin Sedin Burrows

Higgins Sutter Vbrata

Baertschi Horvat Hansen /Virt

Prust Cracknell Dorsett / Virt

When Canucks trade Vbrata and Higgins after Christmas we bring Gaunce or Kenins back up

Sedin Sedin Burrows

Baertschi Horvat Virtanen

Gaunce Sutter Hansen

Prust Cracknell Dorsett

Next year is when things get really tricky. A lot of players vying for spots that don’t seem to exist.

I think there is almost a 0% chance we see vrbata in the lineup past the trade deadline unless he's carrying the team on his back and we're looking like cup favorites. It would just be poor asset management for a guy that is a short term pickup, in other words he doesn't bleed blue.

Oh I totally agree, been calling for Vrbata moved at the 2016 deadline since last deadline I think :lol:

I just honestly have trouble seeing where he fits if he can't play with Horvat. Even if we move Sutter back to more of a 3C (2B?) checking role, Vrbata doesn't fit there. So if he can't play with Horvat, doesn't fit with Sutter and is only a fit with the twins on the PP...

Perhaps keeping McCann up and making a 3rd line 'scoring'

line...?

Sedin, Sedin, Sutter

Baer, Horvat, Hansen

Burrows, McCann, Vrbata

Prust/Dorsett, Cracknel, Dorsett/Virtanen

When Higgins gets back that 4th line gets crowded but man we'd be deep.

Sedin, Sedin, Sutter

Baer, Horvat, Hansen

Burrows, McCann, Vrbata

Higgins, Cracknel, Dorsett/Virtanen/Prust

Actually like that a fair bit... Normally I wouldn't like Hansen in our top 6 but him and Horvat be like PB&J ::D

But the jist of this is Vrbata needs to get his head in the game for @#$%'s sake.

Axe vrbata, prust, higgins and hammer.

Sedin-sedin-burrows

Baerschi-horvat-virtanen

McCann-sutter-Hansen

Kenins-cracknell-dorsett

Maybe next year... I don't see them throwing Virtanen in to a top 6 role this early in the season.

Sven or Vrbata orrrrr Sven or 2nd round pick?

Not so sure yet but I'll take Hutton in the fifth round any day. You can't expect evrey trade to be a win (not saying Sven won't be) it's all if the GM is making the team better and he is without question.

Still take Sven for a 2nd in a heartbeat.

he's got hockey iq and slick passes..but would be a guy we'd build a line around (via trade/free agency) if we didn't have the assets to make it work now?

Not so sure yet but I'll take Hutton in the fifth round any day. You can't expect evrey trade to be a win (not saying Sven won't be) it's all if the GM is making the team better and he is without question.

&^@# ya hutton's a gem

As the year goes along; would love to see a kid line of Baertschi / McCann / Virtanen. The speed and skill would be nuts! Jake, in a man beast body, would be the fore-checker mentioned in the OP.

Posted it elsewhere. One legit response was how would Willie trust three rookies. I also pencilled it as a 3rd line. Another poster suggested we might not score enough. Alluding to a 2knd line that might not have any scorer on it (had Vrbata with the Twins in my proposal). But Willie rolls 4 lines. The trick might be to give them the 4th line & play protected minutes?

Danny Hank Vrbata

Burrows Bo Hansen

Higgins Sutter Dorsett

Baer McCann Virtanen

Maybe next year... I don't see them throwing Virtanen in to a top 6 role this early in the season.

Well that's when you can move players up or down the line up to hide the youngsters. We may hurt having Hansen in the top 6 but we aren't cup contenders so what's the difference

Sedin-sedin-burrows

Baerschi-horvat-Hansen

McCann-sutter-Dorsett

Kenins-cracknell-virtanen

Gaunce-Jensen

Shinkaruk-vey-grenier

Edler-Tanev

Bartkowski-Weber

Hutton-sbisa

Biega

Burrows/Hansen/Higgins need to never be put in the top 6 again. You want forechecking on the second?

Sedins - Vrbata

Baer - Horvat - Sutter

Burr - McCann - Hansen/Virt

Prust - Crack - Doorstep

Twins prefer not to play with Vrbata 5 on 5.

"He doesn't bleed blue". That's pretty much it right there.

Twins prefer not to play with Vrbata 5 on 5.

Has anyone said anything about this? It is obvious by now that something happened.

So Vrbata is not the preferred choice by the Sedins,

Vrbata doesn't seem to be clicking with Horvat,

Vrbata seems to want to try calling the shots as to what happens with Vrbata.

Vrbata is in Virtanen's spot.

D. SEDIN - H. SEDIN - SUTTER

BAERTSCHI - HORVAT- VIRTANEN

BURROWS - McCANN - HANSEN

DORSETT - CRACKNELL - PRUST

EDLER - TANEV

SBISA - HUTTON

BARTKOWSKI - WEBER

MILLER

MARKSTROM

Has anyone said anything about this? It is obvious by now that something happened.

The twins flat out said they prefer to play with a forechecker who can help them dig out pucks from corners/boards and go to the net 5 on 5. It more readily allows them to play there game, puts less wear and tear on them and also spreads the scoring around more keeping us from being as much of a one line team. With Vrbata on their line, the twins have to do more of the grunt work getting him the puck than vice versa.

That people still make line up proposals with him on the first line with the twins is down right comical at this point. Short of injuries, penalties or maybe loading up a line trailing in a game etc, Vrbata will almost certainly be on another line until he's traded.

Last night was a case of careful what you wish for.

I don't ever want to see Dorsett up on the second again unless the team is absolutely ravaged by injuries. Back when those extensions were announced in April, and everyone was up in arms about Sbisa's contract, I was on record being much more concerned about DD's. He's great at what he does and gets my respect for that, but that contract just screamed "they're gonna try to push this guy up above his ceiling" to me.

Last night was a case of careful what you wish for.

I don't ever want to see Dorsett up on the second again unless the team is absolutely ravaged by injuries. Back when those extensions were announced in April, and everyone was up in arms about Sbisa's contract, I was on record being much more concerned about DD's. He's great at what he does and gets my respect for that, but that contract just screamed "they're gonna try to push this guy up above his ceiling" to me.

I don't recall anyone wishing for dorsett on the second? I saw people asking for Hanson, burr, jake, but dorsett... No

Archived