The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Did Torts really need to start our goons in January 2014?

Fan since 82

Daniel was more interested in getting on the PP to help the team get back in the game and win the cup.

If memory serves me correct while getting speedbagged Daniel looked right at the ref and said "you gonna call this'?

The ref replied "I will", to which Daniel replied "when? after the fifth punch'?

Referee Kelly Sutherland (surprise surprise) then gave Daniel a ten minute misconduct for chirping him.

Yes this certainly is what Daniel was trying to do, and Marchand certainly should've gotten a roughing penalty, but it was SCF and he should've known the refs weren't going to call it. Oh well...

Did you really need to start this topic all over again

It's nearly 2 years in a few months. Ugh, let it goooo.

I let it go as soon as it happened but they're talking about the big night on the radio and everybody slams Hartley, but I just think at least 50% of the blame needs to be hung on Torts. If you don't want to talk about it don't follow the thread.

This should clear everything up for you.

This is truly one of the greatest things Torts left us with. Absolutely brilliant :wub:

It's not that they can't stand up for themselves, more that it's not their game. Don't get me wrong I would've loved it if Daniel dropped the gloves with Marchand that night (even if he lost the fight I believe it would've given the Nucks a huge boost), but that's not his style.

Yes, I thought this at the time and now it's even more evident. Had our leaders actually showed some backbone and pushed back instead of curling up and leaving it up to the refs it more than likely would have fired up the team. If the team saw Danny stand up for himself and fight back imagine what kind of fire that would have lit under everyone else ass. Unfortunately, they were doing what they were instructed to do by AV, which was to let them take the penalty and burn them on the PP...We all know how that turned out :(

^This!^

I really believe that they lost the cup in that game. The Canucks were the better team but for some reason they were just too fragile.

It's interesting that even after being outclassed by the Kings in the final of 2014 that AV stated that he thought the Rangers had a better chance at winning than our Nucks. I think that speaks volumes to how absolutely beat up our team was. We were absolutely decimated by injury and were probably running on straight heart

Nothing would of happened. It was just Tort's having a power trip and needlessly wanting to 'control' the situation because he had some sort of bitter resentment for Hartley.

Short man syndrome at its finest.

Yes their history definitely played a huge part. It's funny because a very similar situation arose in the season opener this year. Torts has some serious self control/anger issues and he didn't really have a chance to correct them with the immediate hire after his Rangers dismissal. Even he is the first one to admit that he accepted the Canucks coaching role to soon, but who can blame him with a 5 year $20 million dollar offer being thrown at him ? :lol:

Hartley is a disgrace to the game of hockey....he tries to make a mockery of it. He's weasely, conniving and has a lack of respect for the game itself with some of the crap he pulls.

I only (honestly) wish Torts had got to him in that dressing room even though it plays into it. Make him stand behind his actions and his own ground rather than hiding behind his players with a "who me?" reaction like he has no part of it. So ridiculous...man up and at least own it, buddy. Because he is cowardly in his actions and doesn't stand behind them...he plays dumb and innocent (rather poorly I might add). His smugness about it all is almost as bad as the tactics he employs at times. But that snickering sneer of his tells the true story.

Can't stand him. And you see that his MOA is to run guys, charge them, cheap shot, jab 'em with a pen in the hallway as they walk past (I could see it). Then false-stoically stand there behind he bench like he has no part of it. He reminds me of a nattery guy who would hide behind a tough guy, mouthing off like there's no tomorrow until he's own his own. Then the sheep comes out and he's suddenly the innocent victim in it all.

He has some talented players that could fall victim to that mentality but they should focus on hockey skills, not low life tactics. Seems that that gameplan fails him.

I let it go as soon as it happened but they're talking about the big night on the radio and everybody slams Hartley, but I just think at least 50% of the blame needs to be hung on Torts. If you don't want to talk about it don't follow the thread.

The reason they go after Hartley is he has always been a goon type hockey coach at every level. He tried it when Torts was our coach and did the same thing trying to intimidate Desjardins a couple of days ago. Just watch the crap he will try tonight.

Hartley is a disgrace to the game of hockey....he tries to make a mockery of it. He's weasely, conniving and has a lack of respect for the game itself with some of the crap he pulls.

I only (honestly) wish Torts had got to him in that dressing room even though it plays into it. Make him stand behind his actions and his own ground rather than hiding behind his players with a "who me?" reaction like he has no part of it. So ridiculous...man up and at least own it, buddy. Because he is cowardly in his actions and doesn't stand behind them...he plays dumb and innocent (rather poorly I might add). His smugness about it all is almost as bad as the tactics he employs at times. But that snickering sneer of his tells the true story.

Can't stand him. And you see that his MOA is to run guys, charge them, cheap shot, jab 'em with a pen in the hallway as they walk past (I could see it). Then false-stoically stand there behind he bench like he has no part of it. He reminds me of a nattery guy who would hide behind a tough guy, mouthing off like there's no tomorrow until he's own his own. Then the sheep comes out and he's suddenly the innocent victim in it all.

He has some talented players that could fall victim to that mentality but they should focus on hockey skills, not low life tactics. Seems that that gameplan fails him.

Wow Deb quite the rant. You're usually the voice of reason on here.

I don't think Hartley is as bad as you make out. Any coach who can have 23 players buy in to a program

like he did last year has to have something on the ball. His team flat out outplayed Vancouver and

obviously wanted the series more. He is the type of coach who can get the most out of a player. He had

a nice blend of finesse and physical play. Canucks had better talent but were overwhelmed by a deep

physical forecheck. When I can get to NHL games it is usually in Calgary and even tho a Canuck fan I

amusually impressed by his team. Stop and think about where that franchise was before he got there.

IMHO Hartley was/is a better coach than Torts.

Archived