The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] 2-1 Shootout Win Vs. Ducks

Hodgson!!

Prust definitely looks better than he did in preseason. He's at least at average skating speed now.

Glad to see Willie's recognized and working to fix the lack of boardwork on the 2nd line. Also that he seems pretty high on McCann and is giving him opportunities to learn and succeed. Keeping him limited in the third period of a tied game in the home rink of one of the league's best teams and a divisional rival is completely rational. He's learning tonnes from this, much more than playing in junior.

Like Horvat last year, McCann gets himself into trouble when he tries to do too much -- same as Sbisa. He'll learn, and once he does he's going to be a 200ft impact player. Love the aggressiveness and feistiness.

Not a good enough effort.

We gotta stop surrendering points to inferior teams. This one point we gave up could be the difference between the division title or second place.

Second place should not be acceptable to this team. We gotta get the W in regulation tonight and prove, we ARE the class of the pacific once again.

It's not so much of Baer being a 'bad fit' (he actually has good chemistry with Horvat), it's just that you can't have to similar guys in him and Vrbata on the same line.

That line needs a forechecking presence on one wing. And Vrbata gets the nod on the second because of seniority, the fact that he scored 30 last season and lastly, that we need him to have a good season to maximize value on his return at the trade deadline. Putting Burr with them was the right call IMO.

Vrbata's actually had a few goals served to him on a platter that he's shot wide over the first few games. He'll start burying those soon.

That was my point, it's one or the other on the second and we're just not going to put bata on the third. I don't think there is anything wrong with playing Sven on the third, he's a young player probably shouldn't have started there to start with.

Only problem I see is that I think WD wants a shutdown line and he's just not getting one unless we trade bata or put him on the top line, but I'm not in favor of that (think the twins play better with a forechecker as well).

If WD really wants a shutdown line.

Twins-bata. (Not he the best fit for the twins but?)

Sven-bo-virt or higgy

Burr-sutter-Hanson. (Killer matchup line)

4th stays the same or add virt to it if higgy is on the second.

We gotta stop surrendering points to inferior teams. This one point we gave up could be the difference between the division title or second place.

Second place should not be acceptable to this team. We gotta get the W in regulation tonight and prove, we ARE the class of the pacific once again.

lay off the drugs already

It's not so much of Baer being a 'bad fit' (he actually has good chemistry with Horvat), it's just that you can't have to similar guys in him and Vrbata on the same line.

That line needs a forechecking presence on one wing. And Vrbata gets the nod on the second because of seniority, the fact that he scored 30 last season and lastly, that we need him to have a good season to maximize value on his return at the trade deadline. Putting Burr with them was the right call IMO.

Vrbata's actually had a few goals served to him on a platter that he's shot wide over the first few games. He'll start burying those soon.

...and how 'bout that Miller? :)

lay off the drugs already

I love how so many people here were saying the Canucks should tank, because they won't make the playoffs, but three games into the season they are playing below where they should, because they didn't beat the expected number one team in their division at home in regulation.

CDC is nuts.

Yeah, your point about Baertschi needing a forechecking presence has been well evident these last three games. In particular, it's been noticeable on a few shifts where Baer's been late to change and ended up on the ice with some of the fourth liners.

There've been a number of plays (one with Prust last night IIRC) where Baertschi has shown his vision and setup ability when he's actually had linemates attacking the zone and using their physicality to get in behind defenders.

Unfortunately, more often than not (as was the case last night--where Baer made a perfect pass but it was a bit "too hot to handle" for a less skilled guy), the fourth line guys end up failing to capitalize (and often don't even produce a scoring chance off of otherwise very good setups).

But there've been a few times when I've really noticed Baertschi's ability to find guys who've attacked the zone, barged in deep, and created some open ice for themselves with a path to the net. He's been able to get the puck to through to them (sometimes even finding a seam through multiple defenders) but in most cases the less skilled guys end up flubbing the pass or fanning on the shot.

Still, it's been pretty informative to see how well Baertscshi can create potential scoring plays when the other winger on his line actually attacks the zone and plays a hard forecheck.

This is where he's been really missing Virtanen IMO.

EDIT: Just realized that I kinda went off on a tangent that was more about Baertschi needing to play with a winger who attacks the zone and brings good physicality (rather than talking about the need for forechecking and puck recovery). But these things tend to go hand in hand and Baertschi seems to thrive when he can play opposite another winger who does both. Baer and Vrbata tend to stay high and look to slide into seams rather than bull their way through. And neither tend to muck in the corners or win many puck battles.

Anyway, I don't have time to clean up this post more than this edit but hopefully my murky point is readable through the confusion. ;)

- Sedin's played good. A shame they couldn't put a point to show for it.

- Miller is the MVP so far. I knew he would have a bounce back year, hopefully consistency continues.

- Cracknell had a pretty pass to Hansen before that snipe. Great shot.

- Really like Prust. He makes a difference just for giving us toughness.

- I'm not as hard on Bartkowski as others. His first pass is essential to this team.

I say put Sedin's with Vrbata. He needs to get some goals to boost his confidence.

Huh? We ain't talking about some rookie, Vrbata is a 34 year old veteran of 14 seasons. If he doesn't have "confidence" by now, he never will.

Perhaps he'd be better of putting all those years of experience to real work and figuring out how to adapt to his linemates so that the individual and combo effort actually produces a tad more?

Huh? We ain't talking about some rookie, Vrbata is a 34 year old veteran of 14 seasons. If he doesn't have "confidence" by now, he never will.

Perhaps he'd be better of putting all those years of experience to real work and figuring out how to adapt to his linemates so that the individual and combo effort actually produces a tad more?

You don't play hockey do you?

Am I one of the few that actually thinks Baertschi is doing some good things out there? Hasn't been a liability and has also made some phenomenal passes the last couple of games. The points will come.

I can't believe the criticism the 2nd line is getting. They've been the best at getting it out of our end and moving it into the O-zone. A big part of that is Baertschi's ability to pass from anywhere on the ice. Horvat's doing great covering down low, while Vrbata and Baertschi have been responsible covering the points. The main issue I've seen is that Vrbata's forcing shots, but that shootout goal may encourage him to be more patient as that's how he's most dangerous. Then again, it's not necessarily bad to make the goalie freeze the puck when the entire team has been doing great at faceoffs.

Speaking of faceoffs, McCann went up against Getzlaf and Kesler a few times, and still won 67%. More than anything, that's how Desjardins' trust has manifested. Furthermore, putting Sutter with the Sedins may have been a stroke of genius, as he can take faceoffs on the right side--Henrik was 70% last night.

I've noticed some people complain about the 3 stars, and I agree, they were bullsh!t--on nhl.com

According to Sportsnet Vancouver, they were:

1. Ryan Miller (Well deserved. He's been a beast this year)

2. Dan Hamhuis (Where are you haters now?)
and, I believe, 3. Sami Vatanen (He played well, but #1 is just stupid)

Putting Anderson on there instead of Miller just reeks of bull. I hate the American bias on that site.

I've noticed some people complain about the 3 stars, and I agree, they were bullsh!t--on nhl.com

According to Sportsnet Vancouver, they were:

1. Ryan Miller (Well deserved. He's been a beast this year)

2. Dan Hamhuis (Where are you haters now?)

and, I believe, 3. Sami Vatanen (He played well, but #1 is just stupid)

Putting Anderson on there instead of Miller just reeks of bull. I hate the American bias on that site.

Do you really give a care about who the three stars are? It's merely the opinion of one person who saw the same game as you, but saw different things from different players. And it's meaningless.

The Ducks are favoured to win the cup, they are hardly inferior. We snuck out with two points. Don't complain, take the points and run

Am I one of the few that actually thinks Baertschi is doing some good things out there? Hasn't been a liability and has also made some phenomenal passes the last couple of games. The points will come.

I think he has been solid. He had a few really good moments of strong defensive play. As long as he sticks to that the offense will come. Has made a bunch of greats passes too. Not too sure him and Vrbata have any solid chemistry though. I could see him setting up guys like Virtanen/Horvat/Hansen who drive to the net/play on top of the crease

The fact is, we stole that game. Miller kept us in it and gave us the opportunity to get out with at least a point. We all know Miller needs to do that this season though.

The game did show what's possible, but there were times when the Ducks looked like they were on a perpetual power play at even strength. Not quite sure today if it was a credit to how our D has evolved or if they just got lucky with a lot of help from Miller. Interesting, because at times Bartkowski looked lost while Sbisa made several great clears, especially during that last Ducks power play. So there were a lot of highs and lows.

The really great upside is getting a win over the Ducks at a time when our offense hasn't really come together and guys haven't found their scoring touch. Hopefully we can continue to get wins like last night as we come together chemsitry wise. For now, whatever works! Looking forward to the Kings. It's the test we need to elevate our game.

The Ducks are favoured to win the cup, they are hardly inferior. We snuck out with two points. Don't complain, take the points and run

Favoured? So what? Not by me.

We out played them and have to amp it up even more to make sure we get the full 2 and give up 0 next game and the game after and then some.

GO CANUCKS GO

To me, the 4th line was the key to our victory. Prust, in combination with cracknell, created turnover after turnover with there forechecking, especially in the 3rd period.

Sure, Prust isn't the fastest or most creative player but he does his job, and very well for that matter. It's good to see a legitimate grinding line, one that we can use to wear down our opponents when we need too.

Archived