The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

WD is out of his depth

Canucks Curse

it's either I misunderstood, or you called him an idiot.  Yes, we will go with misunderstood.  

good point, lets go with misunderstood.

Anyways, what do you think, you're even older than I am. Do you think we can get away with playing 3 lines in the 3rd period for the next few years. Cus we are going to have lots of rookies playing every year for the foreseeable future here. Do you remember this happening before? Might have happened but I don't remember it

No bud, it's YOU who can't handle adversity. Go read your post again.

We are sitting where we are because Willie knows what he is doing. I know you would rather haul up half of Utica to play 20 minutes a night on the team but sadly that is the strategy of LOSERS like the Oilers.

Most of the rest of us can look at the word "TRANSITION" and realise it doesn't mean Oiler's type transition but transition while we win.

First in the Division and 6th in the Conference? But wait, I thought we were supposed to bomb this year, that teams like Anaheim and San Jose would be all over us, not to mention the team we must aspire to be, Calgary. 

For fans like you it seems, there is only winning the cup or moaning all day every day, nothing in between. We have the worst coach in the league you would think judging by the garbage posted on here, yet paradoxically sit 12th in the league (7th based on points) despite trying to induct more rookies than is normally healthy for any team and having 2 vets injured.

We obviously don't have the worst coach in the league, but when we lose 4 games in a row after leading going into the 3rd period there's obviously some adjusting the coach needs to do.

So far when we roll all 4 lines we win and when we bench the rookies we lose. He rolled all 4 lines last year and got us into the playoffs. I understand that he has a whole bunch of rookies now and is scared of them making a mistake, but doing the same thing we're doing currently isn't working.

Also there's a huge difference between saying "the coach needs to make some adjustments" (which is what most of us who are in your mind "bashing" Wille are advocating for) and saying we have an awful coach and he needs to be fired. There is a middle here and that's where the truth lies.

No the coach doesn't need to be fired, but also no he's not perfect and infallible. He is a good coach that needs to make some adjustments to close out games where we lead in the 3rd and somehow manage to squander the 2 points.

Anyone who argues for Wille to be fired OR that he's absolutely perfect and has done nothing wrong are equally as extreme in their views. Bottom line: He's a good coach that needs to make some adjustments.

good point, lets go with misunderstood.

Anyways, what do you think, you're even older than I am. Do you think we can get away with playing 3 lines in the 3rd period for the next few years. Cus we are going to have lots of rookies playing every year for the foreseeable future here. Do you remember this happening before? Might have happened but I don't remember it

nope.  I don't remember this before.  Maybe it has to do with the salary cap?  Do teams need to have a couple of young guys on ELCs to keep costs down?  

You apparently are well named.:P

To say he has been "just good" suggests you either don't watch all the complete games (most likely) or you don't understand goalie stats. 

Why I say most likely is because we are in the position of actually "weakening the overall team by playing first year rookies (and please don't quote McCann's goals) 

By doing that we are in effect collapsing back on our defence, a defence that most of you out there didn't give a hope in hell of holding it's own against the mighty Ducks and Habs etc, to name just 2 teams. 

So why are we sitting so far up the League, leading the Division and 6th in the Conference. Goal tending, that's why. He has played out of his skin and I guarantee if we had Higgins and Vey in the team in place of Baertschi and Virtanen we would be sitting even higher.

By saying that I am not disparaging either player just pointing out that rookies are ultimately a liability if you play more than one in the team (until they find their feet or go back down)

Play them too much and they WILL make costly mistakes, play them as they should be played and the work rate increases on the rest of the team. That is pretty obvious.

so you "garuntee" that vey, a player, mgmt deemed not good enough to make the roster this year, would somehow now make this team better than Sven or Jake.

For somebody who attacks everybody who questions WD or JB do you not see how your statement is ridiculously contrary to the current reality as put in place by those you vehemently defend?

i think your anger supplements your hypocrisy but meanwhile subtracts from your credibility.

but hey keep it up.  Please provide us; those that "know nothing and don't watch games", more "guaranties

We obviously don't have the worst coach in the league, but when we lose 4 games in a row after leading going into the 3rd period there's obviously some adjusting the coach needs to do.

So far when we roll all 4 lines we win and when we bench the rookies we lose. He rolled all 4 lines last year and got us into the playoffs. I understand that he has a whole bunch of rookies now and is scared of them making a mistake, but doing the same thing we're doing currently isn't working.

Also there's a huge difference between saying "the coach needs to make some adjustments" (which is what most of us who are in your mind "bashing" Wille are advocating for) and saying we have an awful coach and he needs to be fired. There is a middle here and that's where the truth lies.

No the coach doesn't need to be fired, but also no he's not perfect and infallible. He is a good coach that needs to make some adjustments to close out games where we lead in the 3rd and somehow manage to squander the 2 points.

Anyone who argues for Wille to be fired OR that he's absolutely perfect and has done nothing wrong are equally as extreme in their views. Bottom line: He's a good coach that needs to make some adjustments.

Prove to all of us he benches the rookies. He doesn't. Fact. So if you maintain this fairy story give us the no of shifts. Was it none, which is what you imply, one, two, how many.

When morons on here say "benched" and talk of 3 lines that implies they sat out the third. They didn't, they were rotated as normal. They were however protected as they should be or did you miss the bit in the "staying" videos where they were shown mistake after mistake. 

This is the same BS, media produced, that we had about Willie having it in for Kassian.

Rookies get reduced time. They are just as present on the ice when we lose a goal as any of the rest.

so you "garuntee" that vey, a player, mgmt deemed not good enough to make the roster this year, would somehow now make this team better than Sven or Jake.

For somebody who attacks everybody who questions WD or JB do you not see how your statement is ridiculously contrary to the current reality as put in place by those you vehemently defend?

i think your anger supplements your hypocrisy but meanwhile subtracts from your credibility.

but hey keep it up.  Please provide us; those that "know nothing and don't watch games", more "guaranties

So while covering all my "character flaws" it seems you are still unable to contradict what I said. And you talk of hypocrisy. As for anger, wow more hypocrisy.

I tend to be calm and very much to the point, where you get anger from is probably because you feel intimidated, I can't help that.

And it's g-u-a-r-a-n-t-e-e. You're a credit to your school.;)

Nobody is saying he is perfect. However quite a few have taken to suggesting he is not up to the job. Really?

However what do a crowd of guys sitting at their computers know about top level coaching? 

Too many people on here equate youth with some kind of magic bullet.

We don't have McDavid on this team we have two players who at present if you morphed them into one, still wouldn't equate to McDavid and yet despite Jared's patently obvious lack of physicality and Jake's lack of offence we are being told Willie is mishandling them and should be playing them 15-20 mins. That's garbage.

We are also told they are benched in the 3rd, well that's also garbage, go watch the 3rd against say Dallas and you will see the rookies rotated in the 3rd, even Gaunce who was playing his first game for goodness sake.

Why is it so hard for some people to understand that Jake doesn't have Hansen, Dorsett, Cracknell or Burrows stamina after only 8 games out of the juniors?

When these boys get more stamina and time under Willie and the coaching staff they will be able to up their minutes but until then we have to accept we may blow some leads. Go back to the off season and read some of the threads on how we would be ripped apart. Are these the same people having to revise their venom to "Willie loses leads" Hello!? it happens all over the league with teams who's coaches have been in the NHL a lot longer than Willie has.

Go and look at Jake in one of his post game interviews, soaked through, face like a red ballon and sucking air through his ass, do you think he would thank Willie for another 3 minutes? I doubt it.

So while covering all my "character flaws" it seems you are still unable to contradict what I said. And you talk of hypocrisy. As for anger, wow more hypocrisy.

I tend to be calm and very much to the point, where you get anger from is probably because you feel intimidated, I can't help that.

And it's g-u-a-r-a-n-t-e-e. You're a credit to your school.;)

thanks for the complete answer to my questions(s).

when in doubt, correct someone's spelling eh?

i think if your compare our post history on basically any topic, you would see quite a difference in the abrasiveness department.

if that's you're "calm" you must be a real handful when perturbed.

imo the forums are a place for people to share opinions considering we're all fans and not a part of the franchise.  I'm not sure what you're trying to get out of this format considering your hostility towards those that stray from your analysis.  Maybe your time would be better served amongst those of your exact mindset - if that exists.

after all if it's back and forth reasonable debate you seek, starting and ending your posts time after time with some snooty, condescending qualifier isn't going to get you far here.

Well, for starters, we might have had a couple of PP goals those early games when Vrby and Danny were firing blanks

On the flipside, our FOW% would be worse if he replaced a center rather than a winger

i think if your compare our post history on basically any topic, you would see quite a difference in the abrasiveness department.

imo the forums are a place for people to share opinions considering we're all fans and not a part of the franchise.  I'm not sure what you're trying to get out of this format considering your hostility towards those that stray from your analysis.  Maybe your time would be better served amongst those of your exact mindset - if that exists.

after all if it's back and forth reasonable debate you seek, starting and ending your posts time after time with some snooty, condescending qualifier isn't going to get you far here.

Look, if you can't counter my opinions then what is all this school principal/ psycho babble rubbish you keep writing to me. This is a hockey forum. All my posts are about the game, the team etc meanwhile you are just trolling.

If you are looking for a pen pal go bother someone else. It's getting tedious now.

Look, if you can't counter my opinions then what is all this school principal/ psycho babble rubbish you keep writing to me. This is a hockey forum. All my posts are about the game, the team etc meanwhile you are just trolling.

If you are looking for a pen pal go bother someone else. It's getting tedious now.

you obviously either misread my list or can't answer my questions on yours.

i asked you how you feel vey would help our club more than jake as you guaranteed he would, when our management and coaching staff saw it fit that he be placed in the ahl.

further to the point of your contradictory message and hypocritical posting, I commented on how you continually bash posters for questioning the staff, yet you feel that a player not currently on the team, would fare better.

that was two posts ago, label me and the theme of my posts as you please but don't deflect, and try to keep up.

as I see it now you're trolling.....poorly.

you obviously either misread my list or can't answer my questions on yours.

i asked you how you feel vey would help our club more than jake as you guaranteed he would, when our management and coaching staff saw it fit that he be placed in the ahl.

further to the point of your contradictory message and hypocritical posting, I commented on how you continually bash posters for questioning the staff, yet you feel that a player not currently on the team, would fare better.

that was two posts ago, label me and the theme of my posts as you please but don't deflect, and try to keep up.

as I see it now you're trolling.....poorly.

1 star*

Glad to see you are paying attention. Your teacher obviously didn't have my gift. :P

I thought this yesterday and questioned myself as to why I was wasting my time with someone who is rude and angry. I come here for enjoyment, if its not fun there's no point.  Didn't even wanna come to this thread today but it was such a good thread, interesting topic. Get off work, log on and same old stuff. Disappointing. 

WD spread the love in the 3rd period 2 games in a row and we won both games. Not bad.  

Mac had almost 14 mins TOI , Virt had close to 11 mins. Guess he's realized benching the kids for the 3rd wasn't helping him hold on to leads so he might as well play them, and what do you know, 2 wins in a row with kids playing in the 3rd. 

WD spread the love in the 3rd period 2 games in a row and we won both games. Not bad.  

Mac had almost 14 mins TOI , Virt had close to 11 mins. Guess he's realized benching the kids for the 3rd wasn't helping him hold on to leads so he might as well play them, and what do you know, 2 wins in a row with kids playing in the 3rd. 

Can't argue with the facts!  Willie is making adjustments just like everyone else on the team right now.  I've been critical of him on some points in the past, but it's only fair to acknowledge that he is facing quite a coaching challenge with this year's lineup changes, and producing more than decent results.  Of course he was cautious about putting rookies out in the 3rd, but clearly that wasn't just blind prejudice and he kept coaching them and they kept learning to the point where he's comfortable putting them out there.  That's how it's supposed to work and we should all be happy with how well this reload is going.

Can't argue with the facts!  Willie is making adjustments just like everyone else on the team right now.  I've been critical of him on some points in the past, but it's only fair to acknowledge that he is facing quite a coaching challenge with this year's lineup changes, and producing more than decent results.  Of course he was cautious about putting rookies out in the 3rd, but clearly that wasn't just blind prejudice and he kept coaching them and they kept learning to the point where he's comfortable putting them out there.  That's how it's supposed to work and we should all be happy with how well this reload is going.

Great post. Good to see a bit of real insight on here where the coach is concerned.

Archived