The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

WD is out of his depth

Canucks Curse

Willie Desjardins (starting NHL career with VAN - 1st yr) Winning record = .616%

Scotty Bowman (started with STL - 3yrs) Winning record = .557%

Mike Babcock (started with ANA - 2 yrs) Winning record = .521%

I don't think I'd write Ol' Willie off just yet.

Agreed.  Unfortunately too many of the fans on CDC start to judge the team, players and coaches during the exhibition games.  Many of these young kids have not got a clue how to play in the NHL.  They need to develop in the AHL where they play against a better caliber of player.  I agree there are exceptions with very high draft picks, but the norm is at least a year learning the trade and doing those things that will make them successful in the show.  They are better players if they are brought along slower and properly.  That cannot be argued.

Willie is totally getting out coached..3on3, pk ice time distribution, line changes, not going with our speed to force turnovers..he's in WAY over his head.

Linden must be starting to wonder about his coaching staff. A game can't be run like a corporation with a plan they have to stick to. A coach needs to play the game. In other words adapt. WD had a chance to take a time out when Dallas made it 3-2. No he just goes with his losing game plan game after game.

It is not team building when the plan consistantly leads to a loss. The young guys are really contributing and need to play the whole game.

Very true..both Linden AND JB know what a good team looks like and performs like.They know a hockey team like a car and this ones not running right. I trust them to help fix it. They've got the horsepower to make a go of it.

Well you may know something about cars but you don't know zip about coaching. How the hell can Willie have the record he has if he is constantly getting outcoached? Just because you imply it doesn't give it any truth.

I would love to see you giving that opinion to TL and JB just to see them laugh in your face.

Linden must be starting to wonder about his coaching staff. A game can't be run like a corporation with a plan they have to stick to. A coach needs to play the game. In other words adapt. WD had a chance to take a time out when Dallas made it 3-2. No he just goes with his losing game plan game after game.

It is not team building when the plan consistantly leads to a loss. The young guys are really contributing and need to play the whole game.

It occasionally leads to a loss because we are/were carrying so many rookies. You see rookies can't just have minutes piled onto them when they are just 3/4/5/6 games out of the juniors, otherwise they would start making multiple mistakes leading to a meltdown and ultimate loss of confidence.

Willie BEING A COACH, realises that, unlike you it appears.

So, to take up the slack, the rest of the team have to play more, sometimes leading to 3rd period fatigue and if we are really snake bit loss of goals.

I don't think it is exaggerating though, to say, that in the games we lost a lead, we should have had the opposition buried so deep by the 3rd that a couple of goals wouldn't have made any difference. That's hockey, we just have to live with it.

They almost blew it in the 3rd period again last night. Nothing to do with the coach I guess. Yeah they won---- barely. WD is committed to his plan and can't handle adversity. He has a plan and can't adapt to whats going on in the third period or whats not going on. In time he will cause a loss of confidence by some players that will end up infecting the whole team. He has to do something when the players don't have the answers, not just look disgruntled behind the bench, and squeeze his clip board.

I'm getting sick of WD talking about "trust"

i feel like he has major trust issues - if he treats Beartschi like such crap imagine how he treats his daughter's prom date. Probably had fort knocks build a chastity belt with a bolted lock.

but for serious, Duder is really insecure and is a slow learner. He is treating beartschi like junk when the guy has the best possession numbers and best corsi on the team. Plus he has not made any egregious errors and is arguable our most pure skil prospect. I'm ok with press boxing young guys to watch once and a while, but when they are in the lineup the NEED, NEED, NEED to be put in positions to succeed. 

He he taljs all about not hurting beartschi's confidence but that is exactly what he is doing

Not impressed with how he coached in PHX- how did he not use a coaches challenge on their 2nd goal??

No Mcann on PP?

the kid leads the team in goals and you don't try to get him on the ice with the man advantage???

what a fool

Trust me WD, it'd be real good if you could use some logic when uou are trying to coach 

Well you may know something about cars but you don't know zip about coaching. How the hell can Willie have the record he has if he is constantly getting outcoached? Just because you imply it doesn't give it any truth.

I would love to see you giving that opinion to TL and JB just to see them laugh in your face.

WD"s mom is that you?

You haven't a clue how Green would do here so that is just a plain stupid thing to say. He is struggling with the same problem Willie is at present. Playing new young rookies.

It is far too early to panic and people like you and the OP should have sense enough to realise that. No coach likes to ice rookies who have not even spent time in the A, unless they are top 3 draft picks, that's why Detroit don't do it. We got rid of Richardson, and Matthias (and we are missing Higgins)  seasoned players who are tough to play against and put in McCann, Virtanen and Baertschi who are just not dynamic enough. But that is not why we are losing, it's as I say we are not good enough at finishing.

We were all over a team that should have buried Calgary the other night but we just can't beat the goalie.

Willie is being asked to coach with one hand tied behind his back. You can bitch all you want but the rookies toi is not what is preventing us from winning.

Whats stupid? to say Green is a good coach? lol 

http://forum.canucks.com/topic/372894-report-ducks-close-to-point-of-no-return-travis-green-an-option/

Alfstonker... Matthias hard to play against? There is a reason he is 6 '3" decent hands but can't get a long term cobtract

guy is soft like play dough, or cookie dough or any kind of dough

guys who ate tough to play against:

chara in his prime

dustin brown in his prime

martin hanzal

shane Doan in his prime

matthias???? Mcsoftie

I don't understand how this canucks forum is so over the top and ridiculous compared to all the others.... Like... who are you people?

I don't understand why Hitchcock is so fat

I don't understand why someone thought hiring Tortorella again was a good idea.

I don't understand why Phil Kessel listens to Jewel, wears turtleneck sweaters and puts on lipstick while lsitening to Brian Wilson music.

But most of all, I just do not understand why Cam Talbot is so bad.

Archived