The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

No Supplemental Discipline for Dustin Byfuglien

elvis15

Did this warrant a suspension?  

19 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Winnipeg’s Dustin Byfuglien will not face supplemental discipline for his hit on Montreal’s Brendan Gallagher. http://ow.ly/2bw6zk 

I thought at first viewing he'd be due for something, expecially since he's apparently been warned three times already this season.

While I understand what they're trying to explain, I don't agree that it's just bracing, and even less that hitting through the hands caused the spin and that it's consistent with a full body hit. He could be cutting up ice, but chooses to make significant contact without hitting legally squarely through the body.

All this is is a case of tall guy hits short guy in my opinion. Buff doesn't take more than 3 strides and the follow through on the elbow is after Gallagher has already been hit, it was not the primary point of contact.

All this is is a case of tall guy hits short guy in my opinion. Buff doesn't take more than 3 strides and the follow through on the elbow is after Gallagher has already been hit, it was not the primary point of contact.

I don't think there's any element of charging or elbowing, but I do question that he hits squarely through the body or is just bracing. It's not so cut and dry that it's automatic, but Buff is treading on very thin ice with his history and warnings this season.

I guess when they spun the suspension wheel he landed on 0 games 

More like they watched where Gallagher landed after he was spun by Buff.

Glad that there is no more than a 2 minute interference call on the hit.  Last time I checked, hockey was a contact sport and it's up to players to brace themselves for any possible contact...even someone as big and ugly as Buffalo.

Gallagher's got the heart of a lion...good on him for taking the hit like a man and bouncing back up and trying to get at whoever he could for getting smoked.  But Gallagher ought to know...a VW colliding with a semi...it's not going to end well for the VW bug.

The problem is that Byfuglien is a linebacker compared to anyone in the NHL. When he can destroy guys like Bouwmeester with ease, guys like Gallagher have to be aware that when you run into him, you're on the losing side 8 days a week. Not only that, but in this case, a hit will look much worse than it was either intended or was, simply because Byfuglien is a giant compared to everyone else.

While he has to be aware of his size when he throws his weight around (hence, not throwing dirty hits), other players have to shoulder the blame when running into Buff, if the hit is clean; because more often than not, the hit can end up looking dirty, simply due to the size (height and weight) difference.

EDIT: Long story short, the league got it right. There shouldn't have been supplementary discipline on this hit.

Looks like the incident between Edler and Hertl, which I didn't think at the time warranted 3 games. However, Byfuglien has received several warnings already this season... another example of inconsistency from the DPS.

I'd lean to something on this play, but it's not really like the Edler hit at all. Buff plays the puck for one. Edler didn't and just went for the hit, so he had to hit squarely through the body. He didn't, so he got pinged. Buff played the puck and braced for contact while turning up ice. He knows he's going to hit Gallagher like that so I'd like to see him be more responsible in how he contacts Gallagher (but again I understand how him playing the puck first affects this scenario).

I'd lean to something on this play, but it's not really like the Edler hit at all. Buff plays the puck for one. Edler didn't and just went for the hit, so he had to hit squarely through the body. He didn't, so he got pinged. Buff played the puck and braced for contact while turning up ice. He knows he's going to hit Gallagher like that so I'd like to see him be more responsible in how he contacts Gallagher (but again I understand how him playing the puck first affects this scenario).

The argument for Edler is that he didn't reach for the puck like Byfuglien did, possibly to protect himself from a potential hit and be able to glide into the puck to either skate up ice or jam along the board. While Edler also tucks his elbow in, his arm doesn't fly up after the collision, and that to me signifies that he had intent to brace for impact, and not throw his arm into Hertl like Byfuglien did to Gallagher.

In terms of reputation and history (the latter is considered in the ruling), I believe Edler had no suspensions or fines prior to the Hertl hit and typically avoids scrums - showing non-confrontational behaviour and unlikelihood of intent to injure (although he does occasionally throw big hits and has since been suspended for his hit on Staal). Byfuglien has had a suspension, multiple warnings in a handful of games this season, and is not afraid to mix it up after the whistle.

Regardless of this hit, I'm perplexed as to how he got away with his hit earlier in the week (sorry for being off-topic). I just think he needs to be punished for his recklessness before he injures someone seriously.

Regardless of this hit, I'm perplexed as to how he got away with his hit earlier in the week (sorry for being off-topic). 

I don't really think that hit is suspendable. It was definitely a boarding penalty (which he was called for), but nothing more. While I acknowledge Pomme was in a vulnerable position, he shares some responsibility in the fact that he continued to try to play the puck and stay in the play while in a vulnerable position. 

Archived