The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canadiens interested in Vrbata (Eklund)

canuktravella

If taking Semin in a deal gets us what we actually want... then go for it!   His cap hit can be almost entirely buried in the AHL if necessary.

Not sold on Tinordi either... we need righties.  I'd rather target Juulsen, or if that is a definite no go on Montreals part, then target another right handed D like Pateryn or Ellis.

Vrbata for Juulsen and Semin would be really nice.

Saying that, Montreal could just bury Semin's tiny salary, should be fairly insignificant in a trade. So the Canucks might have to send a little more their way.

Semin wouldn't be the worst player for the Canucks to bring on. He's gonna want a contract next year, and you never know when he's gonna focus and turn his offensive jets on, and the Canucks 2nd PP unit could surely use some help. Baer - Horvat/Sutter - Semin - McCann - Hutton would have lots of offensive ability. 

19 minutes ago, 70seven said:

is there any ACTUAL legit source to this rumor??

or is it just fans trowing $hit at the side of a barn to pass time?

Eklund is the source of the rumour. So no. No legit source. On the other hand several hockey "insiders" have said the Bergevin is looking at options to improve the team. Which isnt really going out on much of a limb 

Here's what Elliot Friedman has to say about it. Just that Bergevin is active. But that he always is. Nowhere is Vancouver mentioned. Much less Vrbata. 

4. A lot of the trade attention now is on the New York Islanders with Travis Hamonic, but watch out for the Montreal Canadiens. It’s tough sometimes to tell with Marc Bergevin, because he’s one of the more active GMs in the league (according to his compatriots). He makes a lot of calls, often seeing what’s out there as much as anything. 

I can’t say when it will happen, but there is certainly a feeling he’s going to add. They know their best window under the cap is before the summer of 2018, when Carey Price needs a new contract. It wouldn’t be a surprise if he’s looking at upgrades both at forward and on defence. 

5. As for what Montreal might give up: at some point, the Jarred Tinordisituation has to end. Bergevin was asking for two seconds last summer, but it’s probably less now. Lars Eller’s name usually surfaces, but that’s a little unfair, because you’re not certain if it’s old info or new. 

The Dallas Stars had interest before acquiring Jason Spezza. I’d be curious to see if the Arizona Coyoteslook at him. He’s locked in for two more seasons, you’re always looking for strong bodies in the west, he’s got someone he knows there in Mikkel Boedker (who shares the same agent, Jarrett Bousquet). It’s not the easiest deal to make now because the Coyotes keep a tight budget. 

It’s a funny complaint when you think about it, but one exec pointed out they don’t have many bad contracts they are aching to get rid of. In a weird way, it makes it harder to trade with Arizona.

23 hours ago, shayster007 said:

So by your argument you are saying you don't think GMJMFB has offered those 2 peices? I think he has, and New York is requiring a pretty substantial add in. An A ranked young forward or goalie I would be willing to bet. If you had the jets throwing superior younger defenseman or the oil throwing first overall forwards you are  not going to settle edler or tanev plus higgy.

The report stated that Benning had sticker shock based on what Snow was asking for. Outside of that, not much is known.

I'd like to know what was asked by Snow. You think it might be a forward or goalie to go with the dman. If so, Snow is reaching, and probably hoping that his requests will keep Hamonic in place until the end of season. Again, my assumption.

If it's a straight one for one involving Tanev and Hamonic, I would think that Benning would seriously consider it.

Both are right handed defencemen who are naturals and are valued by their team. I would think that Hamonic would draw more interest considering that he brings physicality which is something beyond Tanev's skill set.

It's a foregone conclusion though, but I sure would like to know what the asking price was that gave Benning such sticker shock. I mean, Benning over paid for Sutter, who I think is great, so it must have been Tanev/Edler plus Virt/McCann/Hutton.

47 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

The report stated that Benning had sticker shock based on what Snow was asking for. Outside of that, not much is known.

I'd like to know what was asked by Snow. You think it might be a forward or goalie to go with the dman. If so, Snow is reaching, and probably hoping that his requests will keep Hamonic in place until the end of season. Again, my assumption.

If it's a straight one for one involving Tanev and Hamonic, I would think that Benning would seriously consider it.

Both are right handed defencemen who are naturals and are valued by their team. I would think that Hamonic would draw more interest considering that he brings physicality which is something beyond Tanev's skill set.

It's a foregone conclusion though, but I sure would like to know what the asking price was that gave Benning such sticker shock. I mean, Benning over paid for Sutter, who I think is great, so it must have been Tanev/Edler plus Virt/McCann/Hutton.

I disagree about Sutter. I think we payed the price it takes I fairly aquire a player f his caliber. GMJMFB seems to always pay fair price for his trades, and in the end I think that respect around the league should go a long way.

As for Ham, if it was tanev straight up I would take the deal, I'm sure GMJMFB would too, but it wasn't. A report I heard was it was Tanev and Shink. That in my opinion is roughly fair trade value, but I'm glad we did not make that trade. 

49 minutes ago, shayster007 said:

I disagree about Sutter. I think we payed the price it takes I fairly aquire a player f his caliber. GMJMFB seems to always pay fair price for his trades, and in the end I think that respect around the league should go a long way.

As for Ham, if it was tanev straight up I would take the deal, I'm sure GMJMFB would too, but it wasn't. A report I heard was it was Tanev and Shink. That in my opinion is roughly fair trade value, but I'm glad we did not make that trade.

First off....what is the FB at the end of GMJB? I gotsa know!

Sutter was worth Bonino, and a pick, but I personally think that the inclusion of Clendening was too much.

No way on Tanev and Skinkaruk. I agree there. Hunter is finally coming into his own and will be something down the line.

25 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Sutter was worth Bonino, and a pick, but I personally think that the inclusion of Clendening was too much.

No way on Tanev and Skinkaruk. I agree there. Hunter is finally coming into his own and will be something down the line.

Sometimes you have to give to get. Value for value, I agree that we gave more than the value of Sutter, but that's how it goes sometimes. We could still have Nonis or Gillis, who would just wait for the right trade to come along.... and wait.... and wait.... and wait......

Or we actually work to improve the team and turn the team into what we want, which sometimes requires overpaying.

3 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Sometimes you have to give to get. Value for value, I agree that we gave more than the value of Sutter, but that's how it goes sometimes. We could still have Nonis or Gillis, who would just wait for the right trade to come along.... and wait.... and wait.... and wait......

Or we actually work to improve the team and turn the team into what we want, which sometimes requires overpaying.

Nonis traded for Luongo, so.........

Gillis for as lackadaisical as he was acquired Hamhuis, and drafted Horvat, Hutton, and Shinkaruk, and signed Tanev.

Both guys may be vilified by some, but they did make their positive stamps on the team.

Overpaying is not always a requirement, as Gillis' acquisition of Ehrhoff proved.

And what does the FB stand for?!?!?!

Just now, PhillipBlunt said:

Nonis traded for Luongo, so.........

Gillis for as lackadaisical as he was acquired Hamhuis, and drafted Horvat, Hutton, and Shinkaruk, and signed Tanev.

Both guys may be vilified by some, but they did make their positive stamps on the team.

Overpaying is not always a requirement, as Gillis' acquisition of Ehrhoff proved.

I'm not saying they haven't made positive stamps. I'm saying for the most part, they took a long time to make trades. Arguably a lot longer than they could have to make just as positive of a stamp. Nonis even said countless times that he was "waiting" for the right trade. With Gillis, one just needs to mention how long trading Luongo took.

With Ehrhoff, that was a good deal, but there were not a lot of those kinds of deals throughout his tenure here. It was more of a business deal than a "value-for-value" trade. If you look at San Jose's side of that deal, they "overpaid" so they could dump cap to get Heatley. Did the trade work for San Jose? Yes. They got Heatley. What happened with Heatley afterwards obviously didn't benefit them, but that's irrelevant as that was not foreseeable at that time.

The thing that frustrated me with Gillis (and this is hindsight really) is he'd look for value-for-value or he'd try and jump on an "Ehrhoff-type" trade, but it seems like he'd be hesitant when it came to making a hockey trade that would get the players he wanted onto the team.

I'm willing to believe that Gillis would likely have not pulled the trigger on the Sutter deal because of Clendenning being requested, and that, to me, is the difference between a player agent and someone who has experience as an assistant GM.

50 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I heard him refered to that. GMJMFB, general manager Jim mother...... Benning and thought it was hilarious. Can't remember which thread it was in, but I said it once and ever since my phone has auto corrected to that, so I just allow it.

It was a shame loosing Clend, but Sutter is far better for our team then Bones. You can see that with the drastic change in our team when he got hurt. I still think it was a solid trade. 

And glad you agree about Ham. Yes he is great and would have made our D core better, but we just couldn't afford to give up the assets as other teams can.

On 2015-11-23, 8:22:45, bigbadcanucks said:

I would do Radim Vrbata and Matt Bartkowski for Tom Gilbert, Alex Semin, and Mark Barberio..

15 hours ago, DeNiro said:

We would want him because they don't, and may be willing to sweeten a deal if it meant taking him off their hands.

14 hours ago, Agoork said:

If taking Semin in a deal gets us what we actually want... then go for it!  

5 hours ago, Teemu Selänne said:

Vrbata for Juulsen and Semin would be really nice.

Semin wouldn't be the worst player for the Canucks to bring on.

5 hours ago, Teemu Selänne said:

Burrows - Sutter - Semin

6cd5b48646f903b66d2e6d10e73bc4ef6f74b38b

22 minutes ago, shayster007 said:

I heard him refered to that. GMJMFB, general manager Jim mother...... Benning and thought it was hilarious. Can't remember which thread it was in, but I said it once and ever since my phone has auto corrected to that, so I just allow it.

It was a shame loosing Clend, but Sutter is far better for our team then Bones. You can see that with the drastic change in our team when he got hurt. I still think it was a solid trade.

And glad you agree about Ham. Yes he is great and would have made our D core better, but we just couldn't afford to give up the assets as other teams can.

That is awesome. GMJMFB it is.

Sutter is definitely a real improvement on what Bonino brought. I just thought Benning gave more than he needed to....but I'm not a GM.

I am looking forward to free agency though, as Benning is set on having quite a bit of cap space to work with. His mentality towards constructing a team is very intriguing.

Archived