The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(DISCUSSION) If we tank this year can we still be a playoff team next year?

CanuckMan10

2 hours ago, CanuckMan10 said:

With the emergence of Shinkaruk and the fact that baertschi won't be going anywhere soon, do you think we're better served by signing another LW or spending that money on a legit top 6RW like Okposo? I like lucic but we'd definitey have to a)not sign baertschi or flip him and not get much back.

Unless Virtanen can step up and be a legit top 6 RW next year i think we're better off with another RW. 

Well the only issue I see with signing a natural LW is where is McCann future on this team if he can't play C? But I think you sign the best available player who gives you more of an all around game. Lucic would definitely give the Canucks that imposing push back player to help protect the young kids from players like getzlaf

sedin-sedin-hansen

lucic-sutter-virtanen

shinkaruk-horvat-burrows

higgins-McCann-dorsett

baerschi

burrows can slide up to relieve virtanen if he can't handle it

If were tanking I say send both Virtanen and Mcann back to jr where they can actually win something. Also get a defensive bottom 6 center right away because Horvats development will suffer if he continues to get slaughtered every game for the next  2 months while Sutter is out and I highly doubt Sutter will be in any kind of game shape when he does return as his abdominal injury will make it incredibly hard to do any sort of training. Richardson would be super helpful right now. Trade Vrbata Hammer and Higgins Prust before their Value drops further. Call up Grenier Kennins Gaunce

Sedins Hansen

Kenni Bo Burr

Baer Vey/X? Grenier

Gaunce Cracka Dorsett

Should get us a top 10 pick without hurting our development.

next year

Sedins Okposo

Luccic Sutter Burr

Hunter Bo Hansen

Baer Mcann Virtanen

Depth: Kennins Gaunce Grenier  

57 minutes ago, billabong said:

Well the only issue I see with signing a natural LW is where is McCann future on this team if he can't play C? But I think you sign the best available player who gives you more of an all around game. Lucic would definitely give the Canucks that imposing push back player to help protect the young kids from players like getzlaf

sedin-sedin-hansen

lucic-sutter-virtanen

shinkaruk-horvat-burrows

higgins-McCann-dorsett

baerschi

burrows can slide up to relieve virtanen if he can't handle it

That 2nd line is fire. If Horvat and Shinkaruk can click as well, things will start to look good around here.

4 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

For the life of me I can't believe this so called knowledgeable fan base can't see what's going on here. Too many of you are way too naive. This is a rebuilding team people. The team is going to suck for a few years. TL and JB can't come out and say " we are rebuilding", " making playoffs is not really realistic this year". They have to sell tickets, hope sells, hope of making the playoffs and making a run keep the $ coming in.  This is a 1 line team with a below average defense. This team ain't going anywhere soon. The team has the WORST record in the league over the past 10 games. Worst than all other 29 teams and this team will continue to lose this year and next. 

It's one thing for the average fan who watches the game on TV and goes to a couple games per year to believe this sales job, but it's mind boggling that people who sign up to this forum who have hundreds or thousands of posts over many years, fans who can list the names, positions, salaries, contract length and terms of all the players on this team and most of the Utica Comets team off the top of their head believe this sell job. You guys are a knowledgeable fan base, you see other teams around the league who go thru similar rebuilds. This team is doing a rebuild, there is no such thing as rebuild on the fly, mgmt invented that term so they can keep selling tickets and keep the $$ flowing. 

end rant/

Didn't you say the same thing last year? :lol:

11 hours ago, CanuckMan10 said:

Calm down kids... Before you freak out I said tank, feel me out, I don't really mean it.

I've been thinking about this a lot lately. Our forward pool is starting to look very good lately, and we're going to have a very an excellent bottom 9 in the future. We have a lot of very good 2 way players that will make a Boston style contender one day. Maybe McCannon can become a 1C and maybe Boeser has 1RW potential.

BUT... This season it's become blantently obvious we need defence. Oh god do we need defence. If we want to open up another window for ourselves to take a run at the cup we have about 4 years to compile a strong d-pool.

If we play like this the rest of the season we'll be probably 8-10 range. Sutter is out over a month and our D is probably top 5 worst in the leauge.

I have a plan that involves us embracing the badness for a season so we can be reloaded in 2-3 years and then still not even be bad next year either.

1) Send McCann and Virt to the world Juniors. Send Virtanen back to junior after to save his RFA status a year.

2) Call up Vey to replace McCann. Keep Kennins up until Higgins is better. Call Grenier up to play 3RW.

Sedins-Hansen

Kennins-Horvat-Vrbata

Baertschi-Vey-Grenier

Prust-Cracknell-Dorsett

once sutter is back from injury and McCann is back from world juniors we can either trade or send Vey back down

3) Trade Vrbata, Hamhuis and possibly Vey at trade deadline. Return hopefully 1st,2nd,3rd (Hammer and Vrbata) + 4th (Vey)

After the trade deadline:

Sedins-Sutter

Baertschi- McCann-Hansen

Higgins-Horvat- Grenier

Prust-Cracknell-Dorsett

Kennins

At the draft we should have a lottery pick where we will be able to select Chycrun, Juolevi or Fabbro. With our other first (late) we select BPA or another good defenceman like Bean OR package picks and players to go after good young defensemen like Hamonic or Barrie so that we can compete again faster.

Sign Okposo (6M) to play RW with Sedins, Resign hammer Antoine Vermette style (3.5M) and we're back in a playoff spot to start next year. All of our young guns will be a year better and our D will be better.

the canucks need to source a #1 dman somehow (free agent or massive trade deal)

if they want a turnaround next year

otherwise it will be a slow rebuild hoping we can develop a #1 dman

likely a 3 to 5 year project at best

I was against tanking prior to the season. I hate playing to lose. But seeing as we are bombing anyways I am not opposed to not fixing this team until next season. This should be a good draft and we really need a young defenseman. This season also gives us a chance to groom a bunch of young guys with less pressure. A few mistakes won't make or break the season as it's already broken. Next season we try again, and since it was not a prolonged period of losing it won't be the same as a team like Edmonton.

My only hope is that we play competitive all season only losing close games. Oh, and that the Sedin's are top 10 scorers despite the team bombing.

I'm still optimistic. But not for this season.

An easy fix would be to unload Hamhuis and Vbrata, sign UFA replacements for them who are simply better like Lucic and Yandle, make a trade for someone like Hamonic (Hamhuis + Higgins + 2nd + Fedun), draft a stud defenceman with our 1st round pick (top-10, who knows maybe trade up for Chychurn with our many 2nd rounders) and get our kids in at forward.

I'd be happy to end up bottom-5 in the league this year but go into next season like this:

Sedin - Sedin - Lucic

Baertschi - Sutter - Burrows

Dorsett - Horvat - Hansen

Gaunce - McCann - Virtanen

Yandle - Hamonic

Edler - Tanev

Hutton - Sbisa

Bartkowski

Miller

Markstrom

14 hours ago, CanuckMan10 said:

Calm down kids... Before you freak out I said tank, feel me out, I don't really mean it.

I've been thinking about this a lot lately. Our forward pool is starting to look very good lately, and we're going to have a very an excellent bottom 9 in the future. We have a lot of very good 2 way players that will make a Boston style contender one day. Maybe McCannon can become a 1C and maybe Boeser has 1RW potential.

BUT... This season it's become blantently obvious we need defence. Oh god do we need defence. If we want to open up another window for ourselves to take a run at the cup we have about 4 years to compile a strong d-pool.

If we play like this the rest of the season we'll be probably 8-10 range. Sutter is out over a month and our D is probably top 5 worst in the leauge.

I have a plan that involves us embracing the badness for a season so we can be reloaded in 2-3 years and then still not even be bad next year either.

1) Send McCann and Virt to the world Juniors. Send Virtanen back to junior after to save his RFA status a year.

Did they not already blow this by playing him for his 10th game this year?

7 hours ago, EdgarM said:

I stopped reading when I seen this "Call up Vey to replace McCann "  ::D:lol:

I'd be fine with it for 5 or 6 games if it gets McCann WJC experience and success, and lets us just check on Vey's progress if any.

Also, if we want to try to trade him for anything (I know he cleared waivers but maybe he'll have more value as depth at the deadline) his worth might increase a little bit if he's played SOME NHL games this year as opposed to none.

15 hours ago, The Lock said:

I just want to point out that, if we tank, there's no guarantee of getting a top 3 pick anymore as per the new rules.

Nothing to base this on other than an assumption. Vey might have some value. We don't really know really.

He cleared waivers, and since then has posted 1-10-11 with a -5 rating in 20 games. He holds zero value, even to a team like Carolina.

Archived